VOGONS

First post, by cuco81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here I present my ongoing (never complete) Retro sleeper build. It all started with my yearning desire to relive my early years of computer gaming back in 1995. I remember my mom purchasing a ECS baby tower with an AMD 66mhz up to 80mhz turbo (forget which CPU it was specifically). This was my first intro into pc gaming with D&D Eye of the Beholder and Doom.

The vision for this build was for a Voodoo2 SLI build with the fastest SS7 platform available. Primary focus was to be able to play the early 3dfx games as well as some of the -not so intensive- later ones. I was in the process of stocking up on retro parts, when a couple of months ago I was lucky enough to find the same ECS baby AT case I had back in the day, on ebay....I did not hesitate to get a hold of it. The case came with a fully working 486 DX4 motherboard with a AMD X5 133mhz which I'll keep for a future pure DOS build.

For the CPU, I came across a AMD K6-2+ 570mhz CPU. Once I got a hold of it, I went ahead and tried to do the upgrade to K6-3+ by unlocking the full 256kb L2 cache. This mod was a success and it truly made the rig come alive.

So, I had everything ready but the V2 SLI set. Luckily, I found a pristine set of Voodoo 2's from a fellow Vogon retro gaming enthusiast who had modified the pair of STB Black Magic Voodoos with TennMax heatsinks (beautiful set!). I purchased the set and once I got the shipment, I was able to install them and set them up for the early 3dfx games in no time. To my surprise, the k63+ paired with the SLI is an extremely capable system that's able to play both early and late 3dfx games with ease. The V2 SLI is as fast as my voodoo 3 2000 but stays way cooler (and looks way cooler too).

Quake and Quake 2 run very smooth....even Starsiege is playable. The evident bottleneck in this system is the CPU.

Here are the current specs:
PC Partner MVP3BS7p954 SS7 motherboard
AMD K6-3+ 550mhz (overclocks easily to a very stable 600mhz)
128MB PC100 RAM
Matrox Millenium G250 8MB
STB Voodoo 2 SLI 16MB (combined)
Sound Blaster 32 pnp
16GB Transcend CF with IDE adapter
Creative CDROM 52x
Floppy drive
AT PSU 300W
VIA Raid controller connected to a 75GB SATA HDD (mainly used for the MP3/FLAC music library)

Attachments

Last edited by cuco81 on 2024-05-14, 22:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 15, by cuco81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zPacKRat wrote on 2024-05-14, 22:01:

Very nice setup, those AT cases sure were cramped when filled.

Thanks! If you look closely, you might see the ide raid controller card sandwiched between the voodoo 2's.

A challenge I faced was that the motherboard primary ide connector lines up directly with one of the pci slots. Problem is the voodoo2 won't sit completely in the slot if the ide 1 cable is connected. Additionally I wanted the voodoo cards to have a decent gap between them for airflow.

I ended up connecting the cf card to the secondary ide connector (leaving the primary empty) and connected the cdrom to the soundblaster 32 ide connector. It was a bit painful but it works.

Reply 4 of 15, by Lodge_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cuco81 wrote on 2024-05-14, 20:45:

For the CPU, I came across a AMD K6-2+ 570mhz CPU. Once I got a hold of it, I went ahead and tried to do the upgrade to K6-3+ by unlocking the full 256kb L2 cache. This mod was a success and it truly made the rig come alive.

So, I had everything ready but the V2 SLI set.

Looks great! I'm building a very similar system at the moment with K6-3+ and V2 SLI. Hopefully i'll find time to get it running in a few weeks. That AT system of mine has been been a work in progress over a year now. I've rebuilt it several times. Hopefully this will be the nearly finished version.

Reply 7 of 15, by cuco81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Lodge_ wrote on 2024-05-15, 05:00:

Looks great! I'm building a very similar system at the moment with K6-3+ and V2 SLI. Hopefully i'll find time to get it running in a few weeks. That AT system of mine has been been a work in progress over a year now. I've rebuilt it several times. Hopefully this will be the nearly finished version.

I know I'll find something to change at some point or some excuse to rebuild it again....building it is part of the fun.

Shadzilla wrote on 2024-05-15, 06:56:

Loving your work! What a great build. Excellent spec, perfect case. It all just feels right.

Thanks, it really does...I just can't get enough of a good looking baby AT case.

Bruno128 wrote on 2024-05-15, 16:22:

can the case display 3-digit mhz values?
what does the turbo button header do on that motherboard?

It displays triple digits up to 199 IIRC and it's connected directly to the PSU (not he mobo)...the turbo is non functional on this build since it was designed for earlier 486 motherboards. I'm keeping it on cause it's part of the sleeper look.

Reply 8 of 15, by Bruno128

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's a shame turbo button is not connected. Because some Pentium boards still have this header.
The display is to be manually configured by jumpers but I can't think of a good value to put there. It's just the chassis is too early for the rest of the build.

Now playing: Red Faction on 2003 Acrylic build

SBEMU compatibility reports

Reply 11 of 15, by MarmotaArmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I have a k6-2+ and I'm thinking about getting a upgraded k6-2+ to k6-3+, but is EXPENSIVE +-150 USD if I count shipping costs and taxes. I have read that the performance gain is about 5 to 8% in videogames. How was it for you? can you detail some more about your processor upgrade experience?

Reply 12 of 15, by cuco81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MarmotaArmy wrote on 2024-05-20, 16:01:

Hi I have a k6-2+ and I'm thinking about getting a upgraded k6-2+ to k6-3+, but is EXPENSIVE +-150 USD if I count shipping costs and taxes. I have read that the performance gain is about 5 to 8% in videogames. How was it for you? can you detail some more about your processor upgrade experience?

Its faster for the most part but It really depends on the games you play. For most of the earlier retro games you won't notice a difference. I think clock speed seems to make the most difference. If you can overclock your k6-2+ higher than the 3+, I would stick with the 2+ in that case.

I've played around comparing both cpus on a VA-503+ motherbaord I have and I've found that the k6-2+ overclocked to 616mhz (fsb 112mhz) performs better than the k6-3+ @600mhz (fsb 100mhz) on demanding games like half life. I haven't been able to get stability on the k6-3+ @616mhz.

Windows boot and other loading times do seem a bit faster on the k6-3+

Last edited by cuco81 on 2024-05-21, 02:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 15, by MarmotaArmy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cuco81 wrote on 2024-05-20, 17:10:
Its faster for the most part but It really depends on the games you play. For most of the earlier retro games you won't notice a […]
Show full quote

Its faster for the most part but It really depends on the games you play. For most of the earlier retro games you won't notice a difference. I think clock speed seems to make the most difference. If you can overclock your k6-2+ higher than the 3+, I would stick with the 2+ in that case.

I've played around comapring both cpus on a VA-503+ motherbaord I have and I've found that the k6-2+ overclocked to 616mhz (fsb 112mhz) performs better than the k6-3+ @600mhz (fsb 100mhz) on demanding games like half life. I haven't been able to get stability on the k6-3+ @616mhz.

Have you tried 2.1 or 2.2 Volts for the k6-3+?

Reply 14 of 15, by cuco81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MarmotaArmy wrote on 2024-05-20, 18:25:
cuco81 wrote on 2024-05-20, 17:10:
Its faster for the most part but It really depends on the games you play. For most of the earlier retro games you won't notice a […]
Show full quote

I've played around comapring both cpus on a VA-503+ motherbaord I have and I've found that the k6-2+ overclocked to 616mhz (fsb 112mhz) performs better than the k6-3+ @600mhz (fsb 100mhz) on demanding games like half life. I haven't been able to get stability on the k6-3+ @616mhz.

Have you tried 2.1 or 2.2 Volts for the k6-3+?

It runs stable at 2.1v with the 600mhz overclock. Beyond that it won't run stable even with voltage cranked up to 2.5

Reply 15 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Love those V2 coolers and very lucky you got the same case as back in the day.
Think you have a great PC