VOGONS

First post, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So hi, it's shock__ aka Shockwav3 ... 25 yo, from near Duesseldorf, former "sysadmin", now upcoming student of social education (long story) and general retro computing enthusiast (mostly homecomputers, formerly).
Some of you might already know me from the German DOSForum or possibly mobygames where I currently started to write up reviews of "forgotten" games (only reviewed "Mutation of J.B" and "The hidden below" [first German FPS] so far)

After I'd seen the photos of the Creative "killer card" prototype I just had to register here, since I've been collecting soundcards for a little while now. Expect me to post mostly about this topic 😜
My current collection prolly isn't that big nor interesting compared to some really awesome cards some of you have, but gives a nice overview of the "low end market" already I guess.

Interesting tidbits would be the Creative Gameblaster/CMS (which was never as agressively marketed over here like it was in the USA with radioshack being around), an original AdLib (1990 Version), boxed MV Thunderboard, boxed Disney Sound Source, Soundblaster 1.5 and 2.0, various variants of the PAS16 and a GUS ACE.

Oh and recently I built a multistandard Stereo-Covox based upon PCSTGIF7.ZIP on perfboard (and even managed to find the original designer, who's employed in FPGA development by now).
Also spent some time a few months ago to build a hardware based "Disney Sound Source" wrapper for simple selfmade Covoxes, but that's currently catching dust, as I managed to find a proper software wrapper which mostly does the job.

Last but not very least before I start listing my systems, I might currently be able to get my hands on a _really_ rare old piece of hardware, which will of course be reverse engineered (if wanna you call "drawing schematics from a massmarket product" that way) by me ^^ Will be revealed once it turns out all the tiny traces paid out and might even make its' way into a DosBox custom build 😉

So yeah, along the various homecomputer based systems (VIC20, C64, Atari ST (in various configs), Amiga 1200 (towered), ZX Spectrum +2 and a ZX Spectrum based DIY clone from russia with a soundcard which could be considered a low end GUS) I currently have 3 retro PC setups.

SYS1 (currently my "main anti-DosBox"):
Mainboard: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (7x ISA, 2 of them with VLB)
Processor: Intel DX2 @ 66MHz
RAM: 64MB 60ns
GFX: Cirrus Logic 542X (upgraded to 2MB, VLB)
Sound: GUS CD3, Creative SB16 (non PNP), PAS16, Stereo Covox
Drives: 1GB CF via IDE-CF adapter, 5.25" TEAC floppy, 3.5" TEAC floppy, Noname slot-in DVD drive (matches the 5.25" floppy nicely)
Other: VLB based IDE/Floppy/LPT/Serial/Gameport controller card, NE2000 clone ISA
Picture: here ... gonna get a new midi case soonish tho, which would be a copy of the case the very first PC I ever used had.

SYS2 (the "old ass powerboat"):
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA5HX512 (can take up to 512MB Ram ... if I ever find compatible TAG-RAMs)
Processor: Pentium MMX @ 200MHz
RAM: 128MB 60ns
GFX: Hercules Dynamite128 (ET6000), Creative 3D Blaster (Voodoo2 8MB)
Sound: AWE32PnP, GUS ACE
Drives: 2x random IDE drives ~4GB overall, random DVD drive, 3.5" TEAC floppy
Other: PCI based 100mb/s NIC
Picture: Maybe later

SYS3 (the "spoiled slow-poke" (Gateway2000 G6-180)):
Mainboard: OEM clone of the Intel VS440FX without onboard sound (this one actually is ATX already)
Processor: Pentium Pro (256kb cache) @ 180MHz
RAM: 64MB 60ns
GFX: Matrox MGA (4MB via daughterboard)
Sound: Ensoniq VIVO
Drives: 2x random IDE drives ~4GB overall, random DVD drive, 3.5" TEAC floppy
Other: PCI based 100mb/s NIC

So anyways, hi ... expect to read some more from me in the future over here 😀

Reply 4 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ahhhh now I see the amiga bit... I used to have some expensive A4000 setups , Amigaz here still has his 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Excellent systems! I like the choice of components, looks like a lot of thought went into this!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 17, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@shock__

Nice machines you got there..especially that Asus 486 VLB setup, it's the best ISA/VLB mobo you can get imho

keropi wrote:

ahhhh now I see the amiga bit... I used to have some expensive A4000 setups , Amigaz here still has his 😁

Yep, still have some A500's, A600, A1200, 2 A4000, CD32 and my A4000T
But I'm slowly going back to why I got an Amiga again...to just play the games 😀 the hardware frenzy was fun though but only briefly

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 7 of 17, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shock__ wrote:

So hi, it's shock__ aka Shockwav3 ... 25 yo, from near Duesseldorf, former "sysadmin", now upcoming student of social education (long story) and general retro computing enthusiast (mostly homecomputers, formerly).
Mainboard: OEM clone of the Intel VS440FX without onboard sound (this one actually is ATX already)

Welcome!

And that board isn't an "OEM clone", it's an Intel-made-for-Gateway version of the VS440FX. Intel designed and manufactured motherboards for years for various big-box OEMs. Most notably Gateway, nearly all of Gateway's Pentium-through-Pentium III motherboards were designed and built by Intel, and are in general stock or very slightly modified versions of Intel's boxed boards.

Reply 8 of 17, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Freak wrote:
shock__ wrote:

And that board isn't an "OEM clone", it's an Intel-made-for-Gateway version of the VS440FX. Intel designed and manufactured motherboards for years for various big-box OEMs. Most notably Gateway, nearly all of Gateway's Pentium-through-Pentium III motherboards were designed and built by Intel, and are in general stock or very slightly modified versions of Intel's boxed boards.

Ah, that's good to know, even tho I guess I basically meant what you said 😉 But that's an interesting note to know, considering Gateway2000 was never a major player here (in fact I only remember Gateway2000 advertising said G6-180 here around 1996 when we got our first family computer).

Reply 9 of 17, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😁 I have some Amigas too. Not had'em when they were THE computer to have, but they are here now and I use them from time to time, when I get bored of WinUAE.
A500 stock, will have some surgery to extend her to 1 Mb.
A1200, 8 Mb ram expansion, 1 Gb CF card via CF-IDE adapter.

And from various Atari ST's, I ended up with a MegaST 1.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 10 of 17, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fillosaurus wrote:
:D I have some Amigas too. Not had'em when they were THE computer to have, but they are here now and I use them from time to tim […]
Show full quote

😁 I have some Amigas too. Not had'em when they were THE computer to have, but they are here now and I use them from time to time, when I get bored of WinUAE.
A500 stock, will have some surgery to extend her to 1 Mb.
A1200, 8 Mb ram expansion, 1 Gb CF card via CF-IDE adapter.

And from various Atari ST's, I ended up with a MegaST 1.

My setups are currently a towered A1200 with a PS/2 interface, 2-way IDE (RandyRom) + CDROM + 20GB HDD, PCMCIA based Ethernet and an Apollo1230 waiting to get a new CPU (68030+68882 @ 50MHz)
As for the STs, my main setup is a towered MegaSTE with 4MB Ram, AdSCSI interface, a 1,2GB SCSI HDD, some SCSI based Plextor burner and a Panther/2 (ISA interface for a Mach64 + NE2000) ... used to have a 68030 based 50MHz speeder for that one as well, but never exactly ran stable.
Barely use either, anymore though.

Reply 14 of 17, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:

New case for SYS1: here

Nice, classic baby AT tower

btw. what's that Power Mac/Mac Pto wannabe case next to it?

Reply 15 of 17, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
shock__ wrote:

That's pretty much a Mac Pro wannabe tower, yeah ... just in black and actually quite horrible to work with, as it's manufactured just cheap. It's the home of my former desktop which has been degraded into a dvd/divx player connected to my Commodore 1084S (which also serves as my TV, as it has one of these external tuner boxes).

BTW: your name on youtube is jivemaster?

Reply 16 of 17, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shock__ wrote:
Amigaz wrote:
shock__ wrote:

That's pretty much a Mac Pro wannabe tower, yeah ... just in black and actually quite horrible to work with, as it's manufactured just cheap. It's the home of my former desktop which has been degraded into a dvd/divx player connected to my Commodore 1084S (which also serves as my TV, as it has one of these external tuner boxes).

I see, nice to see you're using a classic C= monitor as a TV 😀

My nick on youtube is jivemaster2005

Reply 17 of 17, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
shock__ wrote:
Amigaz wrote:

I see, nice to see you're using a classic C= monitor as a TV 😀

My nick on youtube is jivemaster2005

Might sounds a little strange, but that setup pretty much gives the clearest analog tv picture ever.

Ah, that's cool ... I've actually commented on your 386 sound comparision a while ago regarding the Creative GameBlaster