VOGONS

First post, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where to begin...

So the IBM PS/2 Model 95 series was the last in the 'PS/2' range introduced in 1991 (even though IBM would continue to release other Micro Channel based systems in their RS/6000 line, as well as beefier servers like the PC Server 500. There were also some late servers that combined PCI and MCA). Essentially these found use as light servers or workstations-- I do not know of any home users purchasing one for the incredible price tag back then.

There are two types of model 95s. The first revision (which some model '85' systems were converted into: you can tell if they have a silver IBM logo instead of a blue one-- plus the PSU won't be the 400 watt variant) and the later 95A types. Although some first revision 95s may also have the 'A' designation if it's related to the RAID configuration, I'm not entirely sure.

1. The first revision 95s are able to run more types of complexes but have slower throughput. They have a single parallel port, and a single 'old school' serial that needs an adapter to bring it to 9 pins.
  2. The later 95s can only run Pentium complexes. They feature a reworked operator panel with the power button on the left, along with introducing a HDD activity LED (yeah unusual that the first revision didn't have that). And of course two 9 pin serial ports and two parallel ports.

What's a complex? It's essentially a modular CPU card. There were complex types from type 0 to type 4. Type 0 was the only 386 complex (and reportedly has problems running in first revision model 95s-- since I don't own an example of the complex, I have not been able to determine if it IS possible to get working). Type 1 through 4 had various renditions of 486, and of course only the Pentiums were featured on the Type 4 variant. Basically the 'type' (regardless of CPU architecture) defines characteristics like L2 cache, memory type supported, IML behaviour, and other things. According to IBM the type 1 complex was the *first* device to sport the DX-50.

IML stands for 'Initial Machine Load' (a bit of a spin-off from the AS/400 IPL 'Initial Program Load'-- similar error code behaviours too). It basically contains the BIOS functions for PS/2 computers and on most is stored on the hard drive--with the exception of the Type 4 complex which stores everything in flash. Now the type 4 complexes can store a backup copy of the IML partition on the hard disk, but it [IML partition] is not necessary for operation of the system.

One notable aspect about the Pentium based complexes is that the use SynchroStream for advanced caching, and also can use up to 256 MB of *SIMM* memory without performance penalties (like regular systems which lack the 11-bit RAM tag).

With that lengthy introduction out of the way, my PS/2 Model 95 project was something that was never meant to be, but happened. Due to a disturbance in the cosmos three model 95s appeared on ebay, and I selected one that I would give a crack at to work on being pretty cheap. It had a 486 complex being a first revision—so I had to quickly source a Pentium complex, RAM (due to the fact the Pentium complexes use different SIMM types), SCSI CD drive, as well as a better SCSI controller. The system was being sold as parts or as a ‘suitable movie prop’ due to the fact it was shooting error I999 0301 for ‘no bootable device’, which is a common error on any system. But not so easy to fix on a PS/2 like this…

I began research on a better SCSI controller that could address U320 drives. It appeared that on all of IBM’s later “fast wide” SCSI controllers, they use a mini-centronics 68 pin to regular 68 fast wide pins (for the receiving end of the cable)… which means you’ll *never* find a cable like that unless you purchase the specific FRU from IBM. This is something IBM carried on into their x Series strangely enough. So with that unfortunate discovery, I purchased a nice long U320 SCSI cable—along with a min-centronics 68 pin connector to manually crimp on…
internal-connectors.gif
Typically you see 80 pin mini-centronics connectors on hot swap HDDs, but rarely the 68 pin variant in combination with a regular 68 pin high density SCSI connector… yeah the two are interchangeable, but needlessly so. I suppose IBM’s logic is that the mini-centronics connectors make better contact and don’t have tiny pins to worry about.

So after a good half hour fiddling with the cable, I got the mini-centronics portion crimped on. Smacked it on with a hammer once I had it oriented (which by the way I wasn’t paying attention to, I *just happened* to hammer it in on the correct orientation):
1964820_263810213797830_2130919995_n.jpg
The reason why I am also using the 50 Pin cable (which uses card-edge to regular 50 pin breakouts) is because the CD drive is a regular 50 pin, and it’s just easier to have that running on its own cable. That weird card-edge to 50 pin cable was made by DuPont…

You can see the SCSI cables slinking everywhere, along with the crazy blue receiving connector from the giant swing-out power supply:
1781867_263810180464500_2028379139_n.jpg

After putting a new CMOS battery in, I had to feed the system all of the ADF files so it could properly use all of the cards. Next problem installing Windows 95… Windows 95 is too stupid to see the SCSI drive, and trying to find the particular drivers to inject in for it to see it properly, is just a pain in the butt. We also have to address the fact that the type 4 complex in combination with the SCSI controller cannot deploy the IML “convenience partition” to a drive greater than 3.94 GB. So I took a regular U320 15K 74 GB SCSI drive and re-sectored it down to 3.90 GB (or 8171520 sectors) on a special computer which had DOS as the application was DOS-only. Then it hopped back into the PS/2 to get an FDISK and the IML partition deployed. Then it went into a third computer to have the FAT32 partition re-created (because for some reason Windows 7 can’t recognize it with FDISK in the 95 boot diskette…) thankfully this does not destroy the IML partition. Then I put in the 95 installation files. It’s actually handy having the whole windows 95 image reside on the hard disk because you don’t have to put anything in when the “insert disk for change X” appears—it just runs automatically. Then we go back into the 95 boot diskette and run SETUP with “/id /im /it /is” (which makes it go faster). After all of that, the installer worked and we’re in Windows.

“But it’s an MCA system, you’re nuts because there’s no way you'll get audio”
Well I did manage to hunt down an MPU-IMC along with an MCA Sound Blaster. So this PS/2 Model 95 can do OPL2, PCM audio and MT-32 output without a sweat; a rather uncommon thing for an MCA computer admittedly. However with a previous thread I created—the MPU-IMC simply won’t work with a small selection of games, from my testing it seems to be an address problem (Mau1wurf says it could be with the IRQs, however, the games that don’t work don’t demand IRQ 2/9, but you never know! Not many people bring up the MPU-IMC). I guess one workaround is to also use softMPU on it.

“But Microchannel cards don’t play nicely in faster PS/2s”
After reviewing on WHAT caused the timeouts and slowdowns on MCA soundcards, it turns out OEMs were using low schottky chips. Replacing the ‘LS’ schottkys with advanced (ALS) or fast (FLS) resolves the problem. You have to replace ALL of the LS chips. You’ll notice the model 95 motherboard itself will have ‘ALS’ surface mount chips. I just recommend using ALS for everything when dealing with MCA…

Here’s what I have presently in the machine, I put some green lighting in too:
10404397_318706174974900_2657194387615697684_n.jpg?oh=617f974bf0b9ca2ef2d4d46407102710&oe=544ADF3A
Inside: F/W IBM SCSI Card, SMC Ethernet (soon to be replaced by an IBM Ethernet LAN/A card which is the fastest MCA Ethernet card made), MPU-IMC, Sound Blaster MCV, XGA-2 (soon to be replaced by the SVGA cirrus card called delivery boys 2.0 by IBM),

And here's the little MT-32 perching atop the Model 95-- I will soon have a "revision 1" buddy for it:
10559782_316422548536596_3613580009855440491_n.jpg?oh=8c269a0e6127e9691d3e1d42be0d2aa6&oe=5452E7C5

It's so totally awesome to use this computer in the dark:
10372535_316472811864903_6104534439995373566_n.jpg?oh=cb2fa0c8db6fca30939a7db60060202b&oe=54486519

And here is the final setup, I had to swap in my 22" CRT because the mini 15" IBM one is currently in pieces awaiting for a recap-- you can also see the red pentium sticker at the lower right of the bezel that I put on:
10398683_318705854974932_8992882944251620890_n.jpg

Running 320x200 on a 22" CRT is just my favourite! Seeing the awesome scanlines, coupled with perfect contrast, and fast instant phosphor response:
10530664_318706128308238_2844894151377529989_n.jpg?oh=fa218c5eed79563450420d1e83fac094&oe=544100C1&__gda__=1413271417_12f1f4dae9f0bcdb6a6fba825f5d8e2b

Unlike most who use CRTs, I *love* 60 Hz. However if you have a cruddy CRT, chances are 60 Hz won't have a proper persistence ratio. 85 Hz makes me uncomfortable. There *are* CRTs which run at 60 Hz kill me, but I don't own any of those...

Present Specifications:
CPU: Socket 4 Pentium @ 60 MHz
RAM: 64 MB (4x 16 MB parity SIMMs)
2.88 MB FDD
2x SCSI CD-ROM

And of course, all of the aforementioned MCA cards.

Well that's pretty much it. I do have a few more things I want to get this system set up with-- but they're still in the works. Because I like dedicating certain computers roles, this one is my exclusive MT-32 computer. And the OPL2 it outputs is perfectly silent due to the advanced grounding. The motherboard and the power supply will be getting a complete recap at some point.

I admit this required an unusually in-depth mix of hardware and software knowledge, but it's a fun computer now-- so that's all that matters. It originally had a bunch of specialized MCA phone cards and ran OS/2 WARP (boring business stuff).

Last edited by raymangold on 2014-07-27, 08:39. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice post!

DOS games (320 x 200) actually run at 70 Hz anyway 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a pretty nice system. Probably the only MCA system that I would even consider owning.

I would be even more impressed if you could get a Powerleap PL 54CMMX going in it....

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 15, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

😳 super nice system !
You ran the VGA Benchmark Phil's packaged on this awesome looking machine ?

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 7 of 15, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wouldn't OPL3 be preferable to OPL2? It's been a long time since I used a discrete soundcard (SB AWE64), but I think I remember the OPL3s sounded better, even when playing music written for OPL2.

Could you use BASSMidi and the OPL3 soundfont on a P60 to test the theory out? Or hit up youtube comparison videos, at least?

Reply 8 of 15, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's really difficult to get soundcards for MCA. He just took what he could get. Sound Blaster Pro does exist for MCA, but it's probably extremely rare and expensive.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 10 of 15, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectricMonk wrote:

Wouldn't OPL3 be preferable to OPL2? It's been a long time since I used a discrete soundcard (SB AWE64), but I think I remember the OPL3s sounded better, even when playing music written for OPL2.

Could you use BASSMidi and the OPL3 soundfont on a P60 to test the theory out? Or hit up youtube comparison videos, at least?

OPL2 actually responds completely differently to MIDI or FM commands. The noise generator is waaaaay different. I actually prefer the OPL2 noisegen over OPL3's more defined and less chaotic one. However OPL2 runs out of voices quickly.
And if you want to talk about OPL3, the adlib gold does an OPL3 output completely different from a SB16-- and there are just so many OPL3 clones that are different as well... I don't even know where to begin.

Yeah sure I'll get some audio comparisons of OPL2, OPL3 SB16, OPL3 adlib gold, OPL3 crystal and others. You'll be floored at how different they all are. Once recapped with the proper output capacitors, the only variance comes in with the actual implementation. MCA soundcards always sound nice due to the extra grounding.

Anonymous Coward wrote:

It's really difficult to get soundcards for MCA. He just took what he could get. Sound Blaster Pro does exist for MCA, but it's probably extremely rare and expensive.

I *could* have got an OPL3 MCA card, but yes-- it would have been thousands of dollars. I was not even intending to get the OPL2 MCA SB, but I thought it would be so cool to put in that system. The price was right, OPL2 on MCA is far less common, and it gives me more to play with on it.

Reply 11 of 15, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of those P60 95's, very nice systems. I would also recommend a PS/2 90 desktop if you like 486 systems.

Never bothered to get a PS/2 gaming sound card (I do have a sound card for music and video capture cards), my PS/2 systems are more for old apps (Models 30/50/65/70/80/90/95) and MCA add-on cards and exotic CPU upgrades and optical drives.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 12 of 15, by raymangold

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, so I completely disassembled the system into pieces everywhere. The massive recapping surgery begins. The reason being is that this computer is basically as old as me! This will be mandatory at some point (there's going to be a lot of sad people in 20 years when their old computers start breaking down from lack of maintenance), but since I was in the process of replacing ICs on the MCA cards, figured I may as well redo the whole computer.

First on the list is the PSU-- it requires T15 security torx bits (and some phillips). once you got the panels off (which can be annoying as there's these metal interlocks that have to be pulled out, best way is to pull side to side), you'll need to disconnect the power connect. There's two tabs on either side at the back that just need to be popped off. CAREFUL NOT TO BREAK THEM OFF!!! If you do, the connector won't hold still when the PSU is swung back in, preventing proper contact on the motherboard. In which you'll probably have to superglue the connector on...
10511227_326086090903575_3100898735992948876_n.jpg

After opening this gigantic PSU, you'll be greeted with a 120mm fan (probably made by delta or papst), two giant vintage Marcons some chemicons, and unfortunately buttloads of TAICONs; if you know your capacitors you'll know that TAICON sucks. IBM outsourced some very low-quality components in some PS/2s for whatever reason-- even TEAPOs!!!!; contrary to rumours about IBM double testing each component, is false... yeah generally they are higher quality, but not always. It's honestly surprising how IBM can go from the best components to the worst with a single blink. Heck, IBM used PCCHIPS motherboards in a few of their consumer PCs in the early days, and then later outsourced to acer for some netvistas and the i Series of thinkpads (some of which were actually pretty nice though). Yuck. Regardless, all of these old capacitors need to go out now as it's 2014.

With that aside, the PSU is still pretty well built, and none of the primaries were skimped out on. This is a passive power supply-- as denoted by having two primaries instead of one, and a manual 115v / 220v switch. You can see where delta wrote the model and REV, but never specified a revision at the bottom right:
1511661_326085977570253_8365388816620411335_n.jpg?oh=37871317ed3f81dcc18be3bd8b16f99d&oe=543C35CF

I've already replaced a handful--which TAICON was used to save money for the lesser values-- (you can see the RX30s and YXFs I used near the bottom):
10357527_326085994236918_3664125220507645222_n.jpg?oh=999e667b0faa62d27ca20c0a0f2d8c49&oe=543BFF98

The boards are mounted in a cube, so the capacitors can just be desoldered from behind without splitting the PCBs apart and taking everything out (which looks to be highly inconvenient):
10253958_326178064227711_8419562741953524417_n.jpg

With that said, I got all of the other values written down and will be having an order with digikey pretty soon (digikey is great, seriously). Sometimes I have to make a few exceptions, such as going with Rubycon ZLJ instead of ZLK (which has *awesome* ripple impedance) due to the fact of stock or price, but you can always get what you need.

It's important to take a few things into consideration when recapping certain things. PSUs will generally want a normal ESR (do NOT use low-ESR capacitors), high ripple current tolerance (from anywhere of 1A to 3A), and whatnot. For the primaries that are replacing the vintage Marcons (and two chemicons behind that) I am using Nichicon's GX series which is designed specifically for switching power supplies:
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/LGX2E … 7969-ND/3929859
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/en/LGX2E … 8017-ND/3929755

And yes, these new capacitors are going to be two to three times smaller. This will help better airflow, too. While the fan's bearings are a bit on the old side, I won't bother to oil or replace the fan yet.

I would also like to bring up something VERY important about the PS/2 Model 95 power supplies. When you tighten the blue handle DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN IT! Why? The handle is held in with a spring and an e-clip. If you over-tighten it you'll get a nice loud ka-ping and the spring will de-attach itself from the e-clip freely to wander in the PSU to cause a short or damage. I thought the spring was removed because there was nothing rattling inside-- as whoever played with this computer in the early 90's did just that... but nope, I found the spring nestled on the fan's wiring:
10552530_326086300903554_6526763702184754296_n.jpg

Needless to say, I'll be able to reattach the spring to the e-clip once again-- but please don't over-tighten them.