VOGONS

Post pics of your CRT monitors

Topic actions

Reply 202 of 544, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a professional broadcast equipment I think, I've seen something like that in a retro console article (here), though a larger one. I guess this one here was intended for a more portable/field use.

Also google doesn't give much on that model number, "9045" maybe?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 203 of 544, by Holering

User metadata

I've always heard about them since almost six or seven years ago (damn how time flies. It's scary when I think about it!). It was always me having trouble getting 15khz to display on a PC CRT. Everytime I dug into the subject I always encountered the Sony BVM-PVM monitors. I always envied the Europeans for having RGB in their land. Americans could only dream about 15khz RGB, until everything became obsolete. That includes 1980s all the way to 21st century. I didn't even get an RGB scart to ypbpr rca converter until 2008. As a matter of fact I KNOW I didn't!

Reply 204 of 544, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
archsan wrote:

That's a professional broadcast equipment I think, I've seen something like that in a retro console article (here), though a larger one. I guess this one here was intended for a more portable/field use.

Also google doesn't give much on that model number, "9045" maybe?

9045, yes, that's what I wrote, wasn't it?

*looks*

D'oh!

This 9" one is either for field use (it has cavities in the back for battery packs), or for mounting in an editing rack.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 205 of 544, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Japanese had the best of both worlds. 60 Hz AND RGB 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 206 of 544, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe 21pin RGB wasn't really popular in Japan at all, at least not in the scale RGB SCART was in Europe.
They seemed to be stuck in the same RF/Composite/S-Video thing as us in America. I haven't really seen JP21 RGB inputs outside home computer monitors and high end TV sets from the 80s (branded as 'New Media' ready).

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 207 of 544, by Holering

User metadata

That's kind of true. But Japan did have its own standard for scart plugs; the pinout was different from Europe but the same socket used. There also was some Sony TVs with native scart RGB input, according to Japanese scart specs. Also, they had high definition broadcast and high def CRT TVs in 1991; way before anyone. Those crazy Japanese just have to have everything! Sucks living in the U.S. without that stuff; though I find composite to be pretty cool despite its difficulty with 240P.

Last edited by Holering on 2014-08-20, 05:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 208 of 544, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Holering wrote:

But Japan did have its own standard for scart plugs; the pinout was different from Europe but the same socket used.

Yeah that's what I was referring to with 'JP21 RGB'. Thing is, it seemed to be a high-end only thing that never really caught on the mainstream TV market, which is kinda surprising given how 'high-tech' the Japanese are. But I guess having the option (albeit a rare and expensive one) is better that having no option at all.

Have a look at these Japanese TV commercials:
'78-85 家電CM集vol.10 テレビ3
RGB-enabled sets start at 1982 and they're pretty much top of the line (National α-Digital, Toshiba Core FS, Sony Profeel).

I believe what made RGB SCART so great was that you could find it across the whole spectrum of TV sets, avoiding the catch-22 that could've stifled its adoption.

Holering wrote:

I find composite to be pretty cool despite its difficulty with 240P.

Composite IMO is a mixed bag. Some systems have a really nice composite output, others a downright terrible one. Some used its intrinsic limitations to create more colors and nice visual effects, others didn't bother correcting even the simplest of flaws.

Last edited by 133MHz on 2014-08-12, 03:44. Edited 1 time in total.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 210 of 544, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
I just grabbed a 9" Sony PVM-9054QM for my workbench. […]
Show full quote

I just grabbed a 9" Sony PVM-9054QM for my workbench.

sonytrini-1386918799-7996.jpg

Noice.

Specs?

Reply 211 of 544, by Holering

User metadata
133MHz wrote:

Have a look at these Japanese TV commercials:
'78-85 家電CM集vol.10 テレビ3
RGB-enabled sets start at 1982 and they're pretty much top of the line (National α-Digital, Toshiba Core FS, Sony Profeel).

Wow those are great. There's certainly nothing wrong with their look and design. Wish I had one today.

133mhz wrote:

Composite IMO is a mixed bag. Some systems have a really nice composite output, others a downright terrible one. Some used its intrinsic limitations to create more colors and nice visual effects, others didn't bother correcting even the simplest of flaws.

Right. It definitely looks fine with good encoders. Only problem I can see is slight rainbowing in motion, but even that is solved with DSP techniques besides a comb filter. Composite can become RGB quality, unless the composite encoder is crummy like you say; or if the decoding isn't the best. Here's an example with an HVR 1600 (has 3D y/c seperation): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGFut3nyWEI; Not the best example (card softens composite), but I don't see rainbowing, dot crawl or color bleeding and it looks like 480p.

Reply 212 of 544, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been using a 17" Sony Trinitron for the last couple of years (from the first page of this thread) and it's very nice, but I had 3 other 17" CRT's in the shed, all NIB, and curiosity got the better of me. First I tried the Phillips 107e, which had quite a nice picture but crappy geometry that I couldn't get quite right. Next I tried an LG flatron, which was quality all the way - perfect geometry, great picture and controls. But the image just wasn't bright enough - if I was using it for word processing, this is the one I'd want, but just not colourful enough for DOS games.

Lastly I tried a flatscreen Acer AF705 and didn't have high hopes, but it's fantastic! Its default settings handled most modes well without much adjustment required, and the image it produces is really beautiful. Very clear and colourful - it also has an anti reflective coating that works amazingly well. Very happy that I went to the trouble of lifting these heavy mother f#ckers out of storage and testing them out.

A couple of pics:

DSCN0763_zps10d704a6.jpg

DSCN0759_zpsa988fe9e.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 213 of 544, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NIB CRTs?

WOW. Wonder what the story behind them is 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 214 of 544, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I blew one of my first pay cheques on a 22" Lacie Electron Blue waybackwhen. Spectacular monitor. I used it as my main screen for over 5 years. (In fact I had two - the first failed during the 3 year warranty so Lacie sent another to my door a few days later. No mean feat considering the size and weight of the beast. I'm not surprised Lacie eventually quit the monitor business...)

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 215 of 544, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cdoublejj wrote:

Specs?

9" diagonal, 450-line HR Trinitron tube, cylindrical face, RGB and Y/Pb/Pr BNC input, S-video input, Composite input, 50/60Hz, tally light, battery support.

www.acuson.it/schedepdf/vx6KTWsw8S_PVM-9042QM(brch).pdf

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 216 of 544, by Holering

User metadata
badmojo wrote:

I've been using a 17" Sony Trinitron for the last couple of years (from the first page of this thread) and it's very nice, but I had 3 other 17" CRT's in the shed, all NIB, and curiosity got the better of me. First I tried the Phillips 107e, which had quite a nice picture but crappy geometry that I couldn't get quite right. Next I tried an LG flatron, which was quality all the way - perfect geometry, great picture and controls. But the image just wasn't bright enough - if I was using it for word processing, this is the one I'd want, but just not colourful enough for DOS games.

Lastly I tried a flatscreen Acer AF705 and didn't have high hopes, but it's fantastic! Its default settings handled most modes well without much adjustment required, and the image it produces is really beautiful. Very clear and colourful - it also has an anti reflective coating that works amazingly well. Very happy that I went to the trouble of lifting these heavy mother f#ckers out of storage and testing them out.

Excellent work badmojo! What game is your avatar from?

Reply 217 of 544, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These are my small CRTs (14" and 12"). I also have one 17" Philips Briliance that has a great picture even at 1600x1200. The Commodore 1084 is an old picture, but still works great.

1zqfqd5.jpg
2hckt1k.jpg
tar5u9.jpg
2ij19tu.jpg
2ecpwfk.jpg
1053xua.jpg
14bj4pg.jpg
2mnja8l.jpg
fe2p05.jpg

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs