VOGONS

First post, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I decided today to put a old system I had here. The specs are:

* CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (originally this would be a single-core 3500+)
* Mobo: Asus A8V
* RAM: 2x1GB TITAN DDR 400MHz
* VGA: Radeon X800 PRO
* HDs: 160 GB IDE for OS, 250GB SATA for games and data
* Drives: LG DVD-RW and 1.44' floppy (acting as a placeholder for a missing frame 🤣 )
* PSU: Zippy HP2-6400P (400W)
* Case: Generic white ATX case with bad 5 1/4' frames and a missing 3 1/2' frame

Pics:

PC_01_zpslebqwbh9.jpg
PC_02_zpsychzxmkq.jpg
PC_03_zps9kegpdiz.jpg

From what I remember this was a top class system in 2004/2005, so I expect to run everything from circa that time pretty smooth.

I've used this machine (with the original single core A64 and a FX5200) for a year or so. It was the last machine with second-hand parts I've used, but it still is quite fast, booting up in less than 15 seconds. I wonder how will it fare against modern internet.

Any cool suggestions to do with this little machine? 😀

Last edited by Snayperskaya on 2015-07-05, 13:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very neat - would've been very rad back in ~2004 as well. As far as cool suggestions, I'd add an Audigy card of some sort (those were pretty slick back then), and some intake/exhaust fans, but otherwise it should be well equipped for early-2000s gaming. The X800's lack of SM3 will probably disqualify it from games before you'd run out of performance, but there's a handful of games that have SM2.0b paths (which is specifically for the X800/X850), and many that support SM2.0 (pre-DX9c) that it should be able to play quite well.

Also, is it me, the picture, or is that X800 actually curved/bent? 😲

Reply 2 of 8, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The card is fine, I think the camera was a bit tilted so it gave this impression. 😁

I can pop in either a 5.1 Live or a Vortex2. Almost all of my old machines use exclusively parts that were given to me/scavenged, I just buy the PSUs since most machines where I live come with crappy generic ones.

Reply 3 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fir this machine I wouldn't consider the Live or Vortex 2. An Audigy, Audigy 2 or X-Fi are more suitable 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 8, by Snayperskaya

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm. I'll have to look for one of those on local ebay. One thing I forgot to ask: What about video drivers? Since it's a XP rig, can I just use the latest from the manufacturer's site or I'd be better with an old version?

Reply 5 of 8, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snayperskaya wrote:

Hmm. I'll have to look for one of those on local ebay. One thing I forgot to ask: What about video drivers? Since it's a XP rig, can I just use the latest from the manufacturer's site or I'd be better with an old version?

That depends on the game. Many games should work fine with the latest driver. But others might break with a new driver and a more period correct driver will likely resolve the issue.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 8, by blank001

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Second or third the Audigy 2 or Audigy 2 ZS recommendation. However your chip is 2005 right? That would put it in X-Fi territory.

_: K6-III+ 450apz@550, P5A-B, 128Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300, AWE64 Gold 32mb, SC-55v2.0
_: Pentium III 1400 S, TUSL2-C, 512Mb CL2, Voodoo 5500 AGP, MX300

Reply 7 of 8, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Live would be fine, but Audigy would be nicer. X-Fi may be era accurate but personally I'd pass (I don't like the drivers and IME Audigy 2 ZS is right there with sound quality and hardware features).

On drivers - for an ATi card I'd just grab the latest and greatest, generally speaking. On the X series having newer (not the absolute newest is required) drivers will enable temporal and transparency AA (both look great IMO; I'm not sure if the single X800 can run them together and get decent performance across the board though). I've honestly not experienced much in the way of "I updated my Radeon's drivers and XYZ broke" as I have with GeForce cards (even today).