VOGONS

Super Socket 7 600 Mhz Upgrade

Topic actions

First post, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just put a k6-2+ 570 I got off ebay into my super socket 7 board. It's meant to run at a FSB of 95 at 6x multiplier. I'm running a 100 Mhz bus, so it comes out to 600 Mhz!

The on-chip cache really helps too!

Specifications:

-MSI 5184 Baby AT Super Socket 7.
-k6-2+ running at 600 Mhz, 128 on-chip cache (also at 600 Mhz)
-512 MB PC100 Ram, CAS timing in BIOS set to 2
-Voodoo 3 2000, 16 MB AGP
-80GB Hard drive
-4GB Compact Flash boot drive (UDMA supported) (Hey, its an SSD!)
-52x CD-ROM
-SB16 ISA
-No Floppy!
-Case originally held a 286

What else can I do to turbo it up?

Notes:

-The BIOS on the board does not support k6-2+ technically. At boot-up it says the CPU is running at 25 Mhz! Cpu-z and cat /proc/cpuinfo tell the real story: 600 Mhz. There is a beta bios I can flash with, but I don't want to risk it, and I find the 25Mhz number quite amusing.

-The mobo cache I believe is limited to 128MB per DIMM. So only 256MB of system memory is cached by the mobo. Fortunately, the CPU cache of the k6-2+ makes up for this.

- I did have a PCI sound card (some C-media junk) installed as well, but found it unnecssary; most of the games I run use software mixing anyway, so might as well just use the SB16 and not worry plugging/unplugging the speaker cable back and forth between cards.

- I put in the 4gb flash card a few years ago after the HD failed, I didn't want to buy a new one for an old PC. I installed win98 onto it, and oiginally this computer was going to run a few games and that was it. A fast CF card with no swap file was going to run 'forever.' When I retired some other computer, its 80gb drive was donated to this PC. So I put linux on it.

Reply 1 of 21, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey man!, nice one! Although....

To answer your question how to ''turbo it up'', I think there's pretty much nothing you can do...well, except some minor things:

-Be sure to have the best (meaning fastest) memory settings available, PCI latency timer
-Don't use any ISA sound cards, in means of performance, not quality. Suggesting to use USB version of SB16, won't hog your PCI bus.
-Update the BIOS (if available) - possible bug fixes, may add performance.

Other than that, I definitely suggest to get rid of the mobo you're using and get something robust, such as P5S-B or FIC VA-503+, to stay with the case. Of course giving it a superior VGA card, something like radeon 9xxx (your choice) and clock it up to the sky, giving you 112MHz FSB max for the first mobo, 124MHz for the latter one.

I'm going to follow you on the CPU buy, since the guy claims to have thousands and thousands of them, can wait. I'll be using the best of the best mobo (at least I think) with socket7, and that is the Iwill XA100 Plus - after my thorough browsing on the net I figured that this is the only one motherboard that gives you the 140MHz FSB option, making your CPU to go @ 840MHz 😀.

Last edited by Shodan486 on 2012-09-14, 12:48. Edited 1 time in total.

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 2 of 21, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shodan486 wrote:
Hey man!, nice one! Although.... […]
Show full quote

Hey man!, nice one! Although....

To answer your question how to ''turbo it up'', I think there's pretty much nothing you can do...well, except some minor things:

-Be sure to have the best (meaning fastest) memory settings available, PCI latency timer
-Don't use any ISA sound cards, in means of performance, not quality. Suggesting to use USB version of SB16, won't hog your PCI bus.
-Update the BIOS (if available) - possible bug fixes, may add performance.

Other than that, I definitely suggest to get rid of the mobo you're using and get something robust, such as P5S-B or FIC VA-503+, to stay with the case. Of course giving it a superior VGA card, something like radeon 9xxx (your choice) and clock it up to the sky, giving you 112MHz FSB max for the first mobo, 124MHz for the latter one.

I'm going to follow you on the CPU buy, since the guy claims to have thousands and thousands of them, can wait. I'll be using the best of the best mobo (at least I think) with socket7, and that is the Iwill XA100 Plus - after my thorough browsing on the net I figured that this is the only one motherboard that gives you the 140MHz FSB option, making your CPU to go @ 840MHz 😀.

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 3 of 21, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have fun with your Pentium II 350! 😀

Edit (2015): Wow, this was a rather mean comment. Especially coming from me, I've been running K6-III+ for years now and I love it 🤣 . Sorry for being mean 😢 .

Last edited by F2bnp on 2015-10-17, 14:02. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 4 of 21, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I figured that this is the only one motherboard that gives you the 140MHz FSB option, making your CPU to go @ 840MHz

A 140mhz bus with 6x multiplier, will the system really be stable at 840Mhz? 140*4.5 would give 648, which seems very high for a k6.

The board I have now does have some options for FSB>100, so I'll try it out. I have a feeling 133 x 6 will be unstable or non-booting though. I have to at least try 105 though.

And that voodoo card has a software controlled multiplier. I need to put a fan on its heatsink though.

Reply 5 of 21, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carangil wrote:

I figured that this is the only one motherboard that gives you the 140MHz FSB option, making your CPU to go @ 840MHz

A 140mhz bus with 6x multiplier, will the system really be stable at 840Mhz? 140*4.5 would give 648, which seems very high for a k6.

840Mhz is very high for a K6, even for a mobile (though not impossible).

I'd say let it run @ 600Mhz and enjoy it's stability. If you want a 840Mhz K6 you'd better just use a P3.

carangil wrote:

The board I have now does have some options for FSB>100, so I'll try it out. I have a feeling 133 x 6 will be unstable or non-booting though. I have to at least try 105 though.

And that voodoo card has a software controlled multiplier. I need to put a fan on its heatsink though.

If you "really" want 133Mhz FSB, what might help is disabling the motherboard cache. Not sure if your chipset would also require additional cooling, I never tried to overclock a SS7 rig (I'm not a fan of overclocking).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 21, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was mistaken about a 105Mhz setting; I must have been thinking of some other board I once worked with. But, I did bump up the FSB to 112. A 6x multiplier was not booting (672 Mhz), but 5.5 is working fine. (616 Mhz) My memory is still at CAS 2. I'll keep it at this speed for the time being. If I end up with any stability issues, like crashing in games or something, I'll drop back down to FSB 100. This motherboard has been rock-solid (knocks on wood) at FSB 100 since the day I got it back in 98 or 99, so I don't want to push it too far. Back then. I wouldn't overclock anything since everything cost so much $$, and I was lucky to have what I did and I didn't want to break anything. Now, stuff is so cheap, it doesn't matter too much.

Reply 7 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

616 is the max I've seen with two K6+ chips. The architecture seems to be at the ragged edge there. Even with lots of extra voltage they stop even POSTing at much beyond that speed. This is probably also indicated by AMD never launching an official 600 MHz K6.

Reply 8 of 21, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is one of the weirdest things I've seen but at 616 mhz my USB mouse is not recognized in windows 98. It works just fine in lubuntu. At 560 mhz with a 112 bus, everything is fine in both oses. But at 616 my USB mouse blinks on once and then quits. I might do a bench mark to see if 560 with a 112 bus beats 600 with a 100 bus; I guess it really deepens on if the game is memory bus bound or CPU bound. But on socket 7, your were constantly struggling with both!

Reply 9 of 21, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm pretty sure the difference would be minimal. The FSB helps the K6-2s a lot. But the K6-2+ and K6-3 have onboard cache, reducing the FSB bottleneck.

IMHO 112MHz would be better.

Pity the FPU on the K6s is so bad, otherwise they would be awesome.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 10 of 21, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

616 is the max I've seen with two K6+ chips. The architecture seems to be at the ragged edge there. Even with lots of extra voltage they stop even POSTing at much beyond that speed. This is probably also indicated by AMD never launching an official 600 MHz K6.

It's not common, but I've seen accounts of significantly higher speeds with + (or even non +) K6 parts running at least relatively stable.

For the 250 nm parts, the most extreme example I've seen (with plain air cooling) is this guy's 660 MHz overclock http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43531 though he ended up frying it later on when he tried to push it higher with the I/O voltage above 4V. (the successful/stable 120x5x5 MHz run was done at 2.8V Vcore and 3.63VIO, he blew it at 3.0Vcore and 4.1VIO -probably the VIO that killed it; all using a P5A-B)

For the 180 nm mobiles, I've mostly seen high 600s in the upper range of "stable" systems, though rarely low 700s also appear on air cooling. Whether they're really stable or being run under safe parameters are other matters though, particularly with anything above 2.2V is pushing it for 180 nm parts in general. Unsurprisingly, it's the lower voltage rated parts with relatively high speed grades that tend to max out the highest, but those are also among the rarest. (unlike the common 1.6V 400 or 2.0V 450-550)
For the 250 nm parts, 2.8-3.0Vcore may not be that crazy given Cyrix/IBM/NS rated their 250 nm M2s at 2.9/3.0V as standard, though overheating will always be a concern. (not sure whether it's reasonably safe to push 180 nm parts beyond 2.2V for long periods, or if they run into problems like 130 nm parts tend to when pushed over 1.7V -as with Northwood)

It's motherboard dependent too, and from what I've read so far, the Asus P5A and P5A-B (as with the 660 above). The GA5AA may fare similarly, but I'm not sure, and I don't know about VIA based SS7 boards with competitive overclocking support.
With my own experience on my P5A-B, it does seem above average for overclocking stability, or I'm strangely lucky with the chips I've been testing. (particularly the Cyrix MII-366 -2.5x100- 2.9V running OK at stock voltage and 3x100)
I haven't had much luck at 133 MHz though (oddly enough a P55C-233 was the most stable -booting DOS and getting a speedsys score), but 125 MHz seems OK (provided the CPU can handle it).

Of course, for a general use system, I'd rather not push heavy out of spec running in any case (beyond modest voltage boosting and such), but it's fun to try and push things for some short-term testing at least.

Reply 11 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kool kitty89 wrote:

It's motherboard dependent too, and from what I've read so far, the Asus P5A and P5A-B (as with the 660 above). The GA5AA may fare similarly, but I'm not sure, and I don't know about VIA based SS7 boards with competitive overclocking support.

True. Years ago I had a FIC VA-503+ and couldn't get 600 MHz stable regardless of voltage with 2 different K6-III+ chips. On the other hand, the ASUS P5A got me to 616.

Reply 12 of 21, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

:edit:

meant to post this in phils thread, mods please delete.

Reply 13 of 21, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I killed a K6-3+ in a VA-503+ by running it at 600Mhz with a small voltage bump. Your 570 will probably be OK but I wouldn't push the volts any further.

Reply 14 of 21, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All I can say is that AMD stopped at 570 MHz for a reason 😀

I would stop at 550 MHz. Better off overclocking the FSB past 100 MHz, it will give you better performance.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 16 of 21, by fyy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is super old thread guys, I accidently necro'd it thinking I was replying to Phil's 4 in 1 thread.

Speaking of, Phil you should test out Warcraft 3 and see how it runs on your system!

Reply 17 of 21, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fyy wrote:

This is super old thread guys, I accidently necro'd it thinking I was replying to Phil's 4 in 1 thread.

Speaking of, Phil you should test out Warcraft 3 and see how it runs on your system!

Released in 2002, I'd say that machine is not ideal to play it.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 18 of 21, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

WC3 doesn't work on Voodoo, I remember trying it in 02 😒

Reply 19 of 21, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t