VOGONS

First post, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,
I got an email from a guy who I got some old PC's in the past. He said he found an old ASUS CUV4X-D tower that he used as a home server running XP. He says its got dual 1ghz Pentium 3 CPU's and a gb of PC133 ram. I read the manual he sent me and it says max 4gb ram. That's pretty awesome! The board also has a nice AGP 4x card so I could have either a nice windows XP Pro gaming PC or a Linux home server. I have fedora on my desktop and its nice. But I might just go for the XP and make it locally connected to my windows workgroup. Any other ideas as to what I could do with it? Thanks, -A

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 2 of 9, by i386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ahendricks18 wrote:

I read the manual he sent me and it says max 4gb ram. That's pretty awesome!

Boards with VIA VT82C694X/T really support the 1GB Reg-ECC server memory modules
unofficially, despite the fact that in its manuals(and datasheets) wrote that it does support only
512MB per slot. ASUS obviously supports 1GB module per slot(and 4GB total size) officially.

See my post about memory size here:
4GB of RAM in a Slot 1 system?

Reply 3 of 9, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
i386 wrote:
Boards with VIA VT82C694X/T really support the 1GB Reg-ECC server memory modules unofficially, despite the fact that in its manu […]
Show full quote
ahendricks18 wrote:

I read the manual he sent me and it says max 4gb ram. That's pretty awesome!

Boards with VIA VT82C694X/T really support the 1GB Reg-ECC server memory modules
unofficially, despite the fact that in its manuals(and datasheets) wrote that it does support only
512MB per slot. ASUS obviously supports 1GB module per slot(and 4GB total size) officially.

See my post about memory size here:
4GB of RAM in a Slot 1 system?

This happens ALL THE TIME.
'This' being boards supporting more RAM than their documentation says.

What happened here is good example. My explanation of what happens:
At the time the manual was written modules larger than 512MB did not exist yet (or were very rare).
They did not want to say in the manual that 1Gb modules are supported when they could not test it (due to no available modules that size).
-Because- they didn't want to get sued later when 1Gb modules didn't work in their board.
By the time 1Gb modules are out the product is dated (old) so they don't bother with new testing and updating the manual.

There is an added problem.
Most, if not all, the 'memory configurators' online go by what the manual says. - So they are wrong too.

It's best to look up the chipset documentation and go by what that says.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 5 of 9, by i386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Arctic wrote:

I am using 1.5GB in the EP-D3VA (VIA 694).
I am wondering whether 4GB would be possible.
Maybe we can run Tualatins with adaptors in those 694 boards?

I checked one 1GB module (Kingston KTH8265/1024) in the my Tyan Tiger 200(VT82C694X dual
coppermine), Tyan Tiger 200T(VT82C694T, dual tualatin) and ASUS CUV4X-C. It worked without
problem.

Reply 6 of 9, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What happens with RAM above also happens with CPUs.
Example:
Many manuals for PIII-S Tualatin boards say their max CPU is the 1133MHz or 1266MHz PIII-S.
Again, that is only because the faster CPUs were not available for testing when the manuals got printed.
If it will run a 1133MHZ PIII-S then a 1400MHz will work. TDP is not that much different. Everything is there.
For this though you may need a BIOS update but fortunately most manufacturers are better about updating microcode than they are manuals.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 7 of 9, by ahendricks18

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I'm going to go pick it up today! Also going to get some free old PC games (Unreal tournament, starcraft, etc.)

Main: AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5ghz (OC 4ghz)
16gb DDR3, Nvidia Geforce GT740 4gb Gfx card, running Win7 Ultimate x64
Linux: AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 1.5GB DDR, Nvidia Quadro FX1700 running Debian Jessie 8.4.0

Reply 8 of 9, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ahendricks18 wrote:

Well, I'm going to go pick it up today! Also going to get some free old PC games (Unreal tournament, starcraft, etc.)

nice! FYI, when it comes to games, the only ones that even have a chance of being SMP capable are the ones based off the quake 3 engine.

2 cpu's will always be better than one! 1 cpu for the game, the 2nd will take care of all the other crap, like network, HDD access, ETC.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9 of 9, by saturn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd use win2k. win2k does not have that activation crap and if the board can use them get a pair of 1.4ghz p3s otherwise pin mod a pair.

luckybob wrote:
ahendricks18 wrote:

nice! FYI, when it comes to games, the only ones that even have a chance of being SMP capable are the ones based off the quake 3 engine.

2 cpu's will always be better than one! 1 cpu for the game, the 2nd will take care of all the other crap, like network, HDD access, ETC.

Doom 3 and HL2 engine both have smp suport and so dose falcon 4. I think MS flight Sim does too.
Also be sure to set one CPU to do background/OS stuff and set the other one for games stuff.