VOGONS

First post, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I had the idea a while ago of setting up a retro machine and mentioned this in passing to a friend at work. Turns out he had an eMachine 500ix sitting around doing nothing to give to me. Though it's not exactly a looker:

rK-5V2PHVJ9gW70UzHPz9fgK9Jfm4abs7TT1Hl5JyM44SzH0d4UC8ETQIIp_nSNNElrMdk4D8tnCdBn1dNPql1-F6ayKxfsKNQYeD1rUy0i-hBPCyZaRCGdMputOwRQTPnnF3ebZpCKadxwQIRZ4k0mdi5ymzkFy9F_3WLXq-amCu4H4Ml0BNtKnjgXNZAOyyAI1Oebi5Lxl6uLtyo1F65oEYnoMFo6ZzLLwxN8qySK9edXTAp9o3GgQ_L5MIHwuUUcn9zrT__7OpJdPrBOVOapnJtGC13bRX-9akWK4FQl8zeeFpVaCi1WSoGR9B-ELNKmF0mklrJEkWur8j2akGfJuyceEwprpiOzgDrE3e4a4aAsEipTg9bGEPQoJaanH7do6lspqiPsdr4g1jY-LO12JIUaoAEy_huQGqB3vedvr3U2pkz8z5UcWpOjnAwXq2lq7I6_HHT8JOwcGnGH3UhsJizc1JEsjybSWZtupmQGptkHfB3bkzNEAyCq2yGZ-OGTOdI8h-e52UBRynlU9s4uv4Z4aN-UU0AQz4Lg-E1MdrJvMKMBDSbriQBBgA7dP2xT2=w352-h522-no

Yes, that residue is from me attempting to take off one of the eMachine stickers. Yes, the second sticker on the bottom left the same residue.

Full gallery link below:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNDV33NQ … zJyalFnVDVCLUJB

Here are the original specs I started with:

• Intel Celeron 500 Mhz, Socket 370
  • 192 MB PC133 RAM
  • 10 GB Hard Drive
  • Samsung CD-Master 40E. Speed not clearly marked, but the drive seemed to be failing anyways
  • Samsung Floppy Drive, missing eject button. No front plate due to case design
  • Some RealTek RTL8139B-based PCI network card that wouldn't establish a link
  • ATI Rage Pro Turbo Onboard Video
  • Cirrus Logic/Crystal CS4280 Onboard Sound
  • Ilssan ISP-120SI 120W power supply that I think was either failing or overloaded. It's also a half-height supply, which limits replacements considerably.

So yeah, it needed some parts. Here's what I've acquired/upgraded so far:

• AOpen ATX-250GU found at a pawn shop. Still has -5V, though I realize now that it doesn't matter for sound cards.
  • Thermal Master case, purchased new in store. Forgot the model number. To house the normal-sized supply and be rid of all that sticker residue
  • DVD Multi-Recordable with Lightscribe, forget the brand. Fancier than my main machine, but also serves as an IDE CD-ROM just fine. Found for a reasonable price at a Pawn shop.
  • Black Sony 3.5" Floppy Drive. So the drive can actually have a face plate 😀. Free from a friend at work.
  • CF to IDE converter and three Compact Flash Carts (8 GB and 2 x 1 GB). All purchased on eBay. For retro-style solid state storage and the convenience of swapping boot drives between Win 9x and Dos + Win 3.11.
  • TP-Link SOHO TG-3269 Gigabit PCI Ethernet Card, purchased new in store. Yes, Gigabit on Windows 98. Wooo hoo! RTL8169SC based, so I'm just using the RealTek drivers.
  • Sound Blaster AW64 Value. Good compatibility, no hanging midi bug, reasonable price and serviceable wavetable midi make this the right balance for me. Purchased on eBay.

I also got a Gameport Midi cable so I can hook it up to the Roland SC88VL and MT-32 sound modules I already own 😁. Here's how it all looks now:
TX_LLcYXQcgxGiJOvGo50SCIbpWO2xlO5QXyQzBGE5E5ZUx7YKhNzWOR0exBc7jjrzCG__SFNLy-s7Gzqm0PbQl_tsv9fewyrIqfmZn-BJy0GsdMSjpaTnQI3Fh9R6e-D1axnFV9u89e4SRwEzHWhQklffbJyLS2c4BDxedqUwovr4AK4AVgEuvg6HFcjP8mBDU3bVZGrrQwI6oFb-lG_kHFBktleidebWj9Ea96Fcb0sO4Favr4q4UY_EQXzOBSrgQ_jKaSc-N2Pw0pliyjCltSqPhye0wBcBxZa8T_H6BfcHzjhxR3u1nccUHxha1q0_6E0RVu9dsNRscid-FGRfdKK5s_qyEIo069CBIveWFvOIxgfdmRV3f5Kfl_xa7Np1EF4gKi58rcylI0XW-51dO7tyu9k0qI9YCUIbDpxB1uSW_lbu3uUKMB-DiTBByPL2hB0HCnSZZgYlgl6u-bundKAmvyBq8ZP0d-bbwecZsiai5bfSlXn7S9lOEd9GKhHlOJD1TdsTVBH7S8xHqNsdUVzvaWdbh32eas3fdKj8iTz-MRy96s-2XSCAzRhRqP-cTM=w435-h773-noYrb0F4GL9LJAr31pobUyl8ATMVHfj0ftw4efae7C8165zRh0HITOtE6OUUUrkqZj_4iA4SdGZc8rltAh10Kq9sfW-FHUQ12r9x-NDPUTCs432FxALOB8nulb6gtTghrcbCk6phgr2dBWK0TcNmsE7129fvfKBivSpFwujm_ndXc47qRtVW-R9Q6UYlrv2ZamsID_J2AhSTZj2nQpw-MpbIMthOmridKxZv-DnR37NCa1Eb2ab4ImR2g1k2M70pNRYeKI-Uzc6chp54Tdni_Tf4U_ozl5cn-7OHmjeGYTJ-dfEizDU_k_Qpqzo0JsdUZNI745oHDrH286Li0VKHlwjhj0No3-7xPIR5tYtOgeeBe6l1Iud74GXlFbwQRMjBG5sVB8t71BARYIEuwoun3u9tXBATlodyPY6do2Uje4_b0wqdjgQVUDaO6PL_qoe-E39wJetuvjFVv_CtdNfmyaTDtTCI8TgDlOyOAy-j6GiiS3yWa7rnL4CMgeqfmb43YJ6kWZ7J_5YIRbjQs09XG_9yxGMMOZGgxlJOyI3iTJPHknwMZuRvhQ7lQQiml_lHerRiJF=w435-h773-no

I'd still like to upgrade the Video card to a Voodoo 3, so I'm presently watching eBay for a reasonable price on a PCI card. The ATI Rage Pro actually surprised me; I can drive it up to my Monitor's native resolution (1600 x 1200) at 16-bit colour, and get a fairly smooth frame rate at 640 x 480 on Quake 2. So I'm in no immediate rush, anyways.

The only other niggle is the stupid eMachine splash screen obscuring any POST operations. I can't see any option to disable it in the BIOS 🙁.

Reply 1 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice little build you got there, as for buying 3DFX cards you might have to settle with a Voodoo 2 unless you are willing to pay a lot for a V3 pci ($50 min these days). Check amazon time to time as there can be deals to be had there.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 6, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks.

Surprisingly, the Voodoo 2 prices weren't that much cheaper than the Voodoo 3 prices when I looked, so I figured I may as well go with the card that gives me better baseline performance. Even if it means my ATI Rage Pro gets disabled via the motherboard jumper 😀.

I'll check Amazon, but usually 3rd party sellers there are worse than eBay, especially the smaller subset actually willing to sell to Canada.

Reply 3 of 6, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice machine, though I personally would've tried to use the older (beige) case. Beige cases just give me a fuzzy warm feeling when building a retro-machine xD

If you don't care about Glide you can broaden your searches for the likes of a TnT2 (non M64) or even something slightly newer like a GeForce 2/4 MX, if only because it will be easier and cheaper to find while having great DOS compatibility. That being said I have a Voodoo3 and like it - it looks nice enough (though not as nice as my Matrox G550) at 1080p, so its a nice choice if you can find one at an acceptable price.

Oh, and for future reference - use WD40 when removing stickers. You'll be able to easily rub of that residue with it.

Reply 4 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's too bad that 'never obsolete' sticker is torn on that poor sucker 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zerker wrote:

Thanks.

Surprisingly, the Voodoo 2 prices weren't that much cheaper than the Voodoo 3 prices when I looked, so I figured I may as well go with the card that gives me better baseline performance. Even if it means my ATI Rage Pro gets disabled via the motherboard jumper 😀.

I'll check Amazon, but usually 3rd party sellers there are worse than eBay, especially the smaller subset actually willing to sell to Canada.

Ouch those exchange rates, just keep looking and eventually you will get lucky if all else you might have to bight the bullet so they say. Five or six years ago 3DFX cards used to be really cheap including legends like the 5500 for less than $20 usd shipped but those days are long gone. 😢

Prices spiked several times because of a few Voodoo 5 6000 hitting the market and making the news, I remember one selling on eBay for 3500 euros after that the prices for everything else exploded almost overnight 😲 Now there are people trying to sell Voodoo 2s for crazy prices like $80 a pop and the 5500 is going up for almost $200 at times (like wtf). I remember getting V3 AGPs for like $10 a pop now they're $25 and going up. If you see a V3 pci and just so long it is not like $100 or something stupid like that just buy it never know how much the resellers are going to try to rip people off in the future.

Seen a Voodoo Banshee sell for like $15-30 on bid only for the idiot who bought it to put it up back on the market for $90 a day or two later 😠

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 6, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alexanrs wrote:

Nice machine, though I personally would've tried to use the older (beige) case. Beige cases just give me a fuzzy warm feeling when building a retro-machine xD

I would agree, but I actually had more reasons to replace the case than just the stickers:

1. It needed a new power supply and the case only fit half-height supplies
  2. The floppy drive was stuck behind the case insert and was missing an eject button. I would need to jury rig a replacement button, because even normal floppy drives would not have the button stick out the front of that oversized insert. Flathead screwdriver worked when I needed it, but it wasn't ideal.
  3. The original CD-Rom drive actually had a rounded front to match the curvature of the case. But it needed to be replaced, and a flat front looked out of place.
leileilol wrote:

It's too bad that 'never obsolete' sticker is torn on that poor sucker 🙁

That's actually my fault. It was on when I got it; I tried removing that one first.

alexanrs wrote:

If you don't care about Glide you can broaden your searches ...

I kinda was hoping for Glide compatibility 😀. Thanks for the suggestions though.