VOGONS

The Brick 486DX

Topic actions

First post, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now that this system is finally running kind of like I want it to, it's time to present my first real 486 build (I have a Presario all-in-one 486 too, and as a kid I had an Aptiva, but those are not really builds...)

brick-system.jpg
Filename
brick-system.jpg
File size
117.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is a system I found early this summer at a junk store in a large garage (only the tower itself). It was lying all sad-like in a corner, back of unit down towards the ground, so the back of the unit with the ports, PSU, etc. were all pretty rusty due to years of contact with the moist concrete floor. It was a very ugly unit as found; unfortunately I don't have any good pics of the state it was in. Owner of the place said it'd been hanging around there for 10 years or more. Excited to find any kind of 486, but with no high hopes as to its function, I offered him €10 and he accepted.

It has a cool "Brick" badge on it, and on the back of the tower it has a sticker that calls it the BRICK PC 486DX. I vaguely remember Brick being a low-end PC mailorder dealer in Sweden in the early to mid nineties. I have reason to believe this was probably something like a Cyrix 486DX-40 with 4 MB of RAM when it was first sold somewhere around 1994.

brick-front.jpg
Filename
brick-front.jpg
File size
79.42 KiB
Views
File license

Anyway: when I got it home, I powered it on with some hesitation (sure! Let's run 240V into a RUSTY PSU YOU JUST FOUND ON THE FLOOR, what could possibly go wrong? #yolo) and quickly realized that while the PSU worked fine (I could make fans and hard drives spin up), the motherboard (a nice-looking QDI-made VLB unit, pretty standard stuff) was completely dead. I ordered a new motherboard off eBay -- pretty much the cheapest one I could find that had VLB slots and was not made by PC Chips -- and amassed some other parts from here and there. Turns out the new motherboard's layout didn't agree with the case so I had to replace the 72-pin RAM I had with 30-pin ones because of the position of the 72-pin slots vs. the case's 5,25" drive cage.

So when I test-drove the new motherboard, I found out that the computer was a DX4-100 system. Sweet! Exactly the CPU I had in my first computer! CPU worked fine, as did all the other parts of the system, but the ISA VGA card (CL-GD5424) was dog slow.

The system was in awful shape when I got it. It was technically complete, but really haphazardly put together, with as few screws (of like ten different types) as possible, bent metal, flexing boards etc... It was like it had been cannibalized for parts and relegated to "kid's computer" or something when the previous owners upgraded. It had last been used in 1999 but who knows when the last time was anyone actually cared about it...

It had no CD-ROM when I got it, but there were signs that one had been installed before (MTMAICD.SYS in C:\DOS). The hard drive is probably not original because it's an HP OEM part. The CPU was quite possibly upgraded at some point from a Cyrix DX40 because the current Intel DX4 has a green Cyrix DX40 heatsink on it (and a fan). Both 5,25" filler bezels were not original to the case and had been SUPERGLUED and TAPED from the inside in order to stay in place because the plastic tabs didn't fit.

brick-back.jpg
Filename
brick-back.jpg
File size
109.03 KiB
Views
File license

So after spending a couple of months messing with this on and off, it's now fully functional with the following specs:

• Real dinky li'l AT babytower with Seventeam 200W PSU
  • Motherboard: M Technology R407E/V with AMIBIOS (replaced)
  • 256 KB real L2 cache (lucky! Some of these motherboards come with fake cache or only 64K installed)
  • Intel 486DX4/100 WT (original)
  • 16 MB 30-pin 80ns FPM RAM (replaced. Supposedly, according to the seller, this has been tested as 70ns capable)
  • 1.44 MB Sony FDD (original)
  • IDE master: HP-branded Seagate 203 MB HDD (original)
  • IDE slave: CF-IDE converter with 1GB SanDisk card (installed. Yep, the motherboard supports LBA)
  • IDE on sound card: 6x TEAC CD-ROM (installed)
  • Generic-Whatever ISA Multi I/O card (original)
  • SVGA card: S3 805 VLB, 2 MB RAM (replaced, upgraded from 1 MB by cannibalizing chips from the Cirrus ISA card that came with the machine)
  • Sound card: ESS AudioDrive ES1868F ISA (installed)
  • 3Com Etherlink III 3c509B ISA (installed)
  • Keytronic AT-style keyboard, 105-key (installed)
  • Microsoft serial mouse (installed)
  • Them cool-ass speakers (installed)
  • Neato Saitek gamepad, Gravis compatible (installed)
  • MS-DOS 6.22, Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (original)

Things I've done:

• Basic cleanup
  • Restoration of the "Brick" case sticker (new adhesive... It had half come off when I bought it)
  • Installed and replaced all the stuff above
  • Removed an extra serial card with a 16550 UART because I don't need it (probably they used this for a modem back in the day, the multi I/O has slower UARTs)
  • New screws so it looks a little bit more cohesive
  • A whole heap of little things
  • Installed Terminal Velocity

To do:

• Replace dead barrel battery. Fortunately it's lithium so it's not going to leak and ruin everything, but it is dead. Fortunately again, the motherboard has a header for an external battery.
  • Find, buy and install 1.2 MB 5,25" floppy drive
  • Replace 80ns RAM with 60ns (bought, should be arriving any day now...)
  • Install new IDE-CF reader with metal bracket so I can easily insert and remove cards from the back
  • Install PC DOS 7.0/2000 instead of MS-DOS (PC DOS was my first operating system so therefore: nostalgia)
  • Clean it up more/better
  • Restore the "Intel Inside" sticker by straightening it out and putting on new adhesive
  • Mount the hard drive better; it's a nightmare of bent metal and way too few screws right now
  • Cable management. The insides of this is a frightening thing right now.
  • Install many old games and then play them
  • More standoffs, the motherboard has no support on one side right now because of stupid case/stupid motherboard
  • MAYBE BUY A FREAKIN DESK TO PUT IT ON, JEEZ

Hope ya enjoy looking at this li'l system! I will be updating the thread as I do more stuff to it 😀

Reply 2 of 22, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

Nice system.
I'd like to see some photos of insides!

Thanks. I will take some when I've gotten some of the cables out of the way, it's such a mess inside this really small case that you can't see much of anything right now, just a bunch of ribbon cables obscuring everything 😀

Reply 4 of 22, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Speakers are made by Juster, Could be Juster Active 85 or 95. Also sold under different brands, like Escom or Target.

Had a set of those back late 90's, and recently I made a search for it. Sound is also great.

Reply 6 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gorgeous...case, and speakers. Perfect period-correct look and feel. 😀 Looking forward to pics of the inside.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 22, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Roman78 wrote:

Speakers are made by Juster, Could be Juster Active 85 or 95. Also sold under different brands, like Escom or Target.

Had a set of those back late 90's, and recently I made a search for it. Sound is also great.

Saw a set of those at a garage sale yesterday.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 22, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the comments! 😀

Roman78 wrote:

These are "EMS" branded (EMS being an old Swedish PC clone manufacturer) and have the model number G-401A. I had a pair just like them for my first 486 back in the day (except without the EMS branding)

Anyway, I made this case badge today:

brick-badge.jpg
Filename
brick-badge.jpg
File size
95.15 KiB
Views
File license

I have access to a laser engraver so it's cut and engraved out of 0.7mm "brushed silver" finish acrylic. Not sure if I like it. It looked better in my mind than in reality.

Reply 9 of 22, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
einr wrote:

I have access to a laser engraver so it's cut and engraved out of 0.7mm "brushed silver" finish acrylic. Not sure if I like it. It looked better in my mind than in reality.

I like it!

Reply 10 of 22, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oerk wrote:
einr wrote:

I like it!

Thanks! It's pretty cool I guess, I'll leave it for now anyways.

Today I got this thing:

resized-IMGP8735.JPG.jpg
Filename
resized-IMGP8735.JPG.jpg
File size
458.95 KiB
Views
File license

I did have a CompactFlash adapter before but it was just kind of hanging around inside the computer, making it a pain to remove and install the card:

resized-IMGP8738.JPG.jpg
Filename
resized-IMGP8738.JPG.jpg
File size
530.93 KiB
Views
File license

Actually, as I said, the whole inside of the computer is a total mess of cables... But it works:

resized-IMGP8736.JPG.jpg
Filename
resized-IMGP8736.JPG.jpg
File size
639.1 KiB
Views
File license

Here's the iDX4 camouflaged by the pretty green Cyrix heatsink:

resized-IMGP8737.JPG.jpg
Filename
resized-IMGP8737.JPG.jpg
File size
670.55 KiB
Views
File license

...and here's the new CompactFlash adapter installed. I had to turn the IDE cable "backwards" to make it just reach from the I/O card, to the CompactFlash card, to the actual physical hard disk which is below the CD-ROM on the other side of the case. But I made it work!

resized-IMGP8739.JPG.jpg
Filename
resized-IMGP8739.JPG.jpg
File size
552.13 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 11 of 22, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also took the time to clean up the back of the computer a bit more. Polished away some more rust, exchanged some rusty screws, etc. The ESS card has annoying blue protective plastic on the back that has gone brittle with age and is hell to remove so I haven't been bothered yet. Still a bunch of little things to do to this system:

resized-IMGP8740.JPG.jpg
Filename
resized-IMGP8740.JPG.jpg
File size
418.7 KiB
Views
File license

Oh, and I installed a COM2 port too! Not that I intend to use it... but now it's there 😀

Reply 12 of 22, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also had those same speakers under a different brand! mate had them and was impressed with the sound form the very cheap un amplified set that came with the PC so got some myself, that would have been 96-97 I think?

I actually like your case badge more then the official Intel inside sticker which always looked cheap in my mind. Yours looks quality but kept the fonts the same as what Intel used.

Nice small case is cool as well, may have been bit limiting back in the day with extra HDD's but now with CF cards you have now you enough for what I would call the necessities (floppy and CD) and still 1 last 5.25 bay for something else.

Reply 13 of 22, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A nice clean Build 😀

I like it very much, remembers me of good old times.
Then whe had the Mouseclick Era, and now the Touch Era.. whats next ? 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 14 of 22, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^^^ Thanks for the comments people 😀 Indeed, the case is miniscule and hard to work on but it's working out fine for me -- I have room for one real hard disk (for the proper old-school feel), one CF disk, and a CD-ROM. Spare 5,25" bay will probably contain an 1.2 MB floppy drive if I find one for a reasonable price. Either that or I'll maybe install a Gotek floppy emulator in a 5,25"->3,5" converter bracket.

Anyway, today I thought I'd replace the dead 3.6V lithium battery with a 3V CR2032 (hopefully the voltage will be enough):

solderstuff.jpg
Filename
solderstuff.jpg
File size
89.9 KiB
Views
File license

Removing the power supply, you can see the dead battery and J2 -- the external battery header:

brick-header.jpg
Filename
brick-header.jpg
File size
141.01 KiB
Views
File license

So I took a 4-pin header cable from a PC speaker, soldered it to a CR2032 battery holder, and put the entire thing in a taped-up matchbox to insulate it 😀 Really pro!

brick-battery.jpg
Filename
brick-battery.jpg
File size
119.87 KiB
Views
File license

There are no polarity or pin number markings on the motherboard and I don't have the manual. TH99 has nothing to say about the polarity either. So I took a guess (I figured PROBABLY pin 0 is to the left when you're reading the screen printed "J2" text on the board...) and it seems like I was right because the system works and seems to remember settings!

Reply 15 of 22, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ran SPEEDSYS on this. Positively surprised by the processor benchmark; isn't this, like, REALLY fast for a DX4/100? I mean, it's pretty much up to the 5x86-133 line in the graph! This isn't even the writeback version.

brick-speedsys.gif
Filename
brick-speedsys.gif
File size
13.85 KiB
Views
File license

TOPBENCH thinks it matches 5x86-120 systems:

IMGP8755.JPG
Filename
IMGP8755.JPG
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 16 of 22, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, that's very fast. Typical DX4/100 in Speedsys is around 37-38. DX4/120 is around 45. So, yeah.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 18 of 22, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sweet machine! Just got a bit confused by the title. I accidently read "The Bricked 486DX". Haha. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 19 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
einr wrote:

Ran SPEEDSYS on this. Positively surprised by the processor benchmark; isn't this, like, REALLY fast for a DX4/100?

According to data obtained in the Ultimate 486 Benchmark Comparison, a Speedsys score of 42.4 is right where an Intel DX4-100 should be sitting. The same data also reveals that the Speedsys score did not change for WB or WT L1 cache of the same CPU type/speed.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.