VOGONS

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I got me a 486 Today, I snipped off the barrel battery and then scrubbed with vinegar immediately, then I rinsed it with 90% isopropyl which is why it looks wet, I'm going to let it sit over night anyway.

So it's untested, I saw the barrel battery bulging a little acid coming out so I took it off first thing.

It appears to be an Intel 486 DX2-50
I can't identify the motherboard
The Video Card says Paradise 88 on the GPU
And then a UMC I/O board.

I've also got a full tower AT Case that it was in, but I haven't taken any pictures yet, It needs a bath badly.

But its my first 486, I hope it all works

Do the parts look like good ones to start with?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a great start.

The motherboard is ISA only, but that's not a big deal. The CPU is actually a DX-50, very interesting! It looks to have 8 MB of RAM and 256 KB Cache seems to be installed, that's nice. SIS chipsets are also decent. The graphics card is a bit slow though. The controller is standard stuff. If everything works it will make a nice 486 😀

When testing it, load the BIOS defaults, boot from a floppy with DOS and 3dbench 1.0 or 1.0c and please share you results!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

It's a great start.

The motherboard is ISA only, but that's not a big deal. The CPU is actually a DX-50, very interesting! It looks to have 8 MB of RAM and 256 KB Cache seems to be installed, that's nice. SIS chipsets are also decent. The graphics card is a bit slow though. The controller is standard stuff. If everything works it will make a nice 486 😀

When testing it, load the BIOS defaults, boot from a floppy with DOS and 3dbench 1.0 or 1.0c and please share you results!

I will, I just wonder if my smallest hard drive a 10gb unit will even be detected 🤣

I picked the case up because I wanted an AT case for my K6-3 had no idea it had a 486 inside, the owner said he didn't know but thought it was maybe a Pentium 1 or K6-2.

Reply 3 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't think I'm going to be testing it out anytime soon, unless this damaged part is useless

WP_20160914_21_51_35_Pro.jpg
Filename
WP_20160914_21_51_35_Pro.jpg
File size
996.79 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
WP_20160914_21_51_25_Pro.jpg
Filename
WP_20160914_21_51_25_Pro.jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Should be easy to replace if you're handy with a solder iron 😀

Yea I can do so, but my soldering Iron is in a box still, just got done moving 🤣.

But what is it?

Reply 7 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is the case, i put my K6-3 in it for now just because i have to wait till at least November to get around to soldering work, and i really wanted something old running

Attachments

Reply 8 of 13, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a pretty neat big tower. 5x 5.25" bays, turbo indicator...does the lock serve to lock the case cover to the rest of the case, or it is actually on a little door that gives access to more bays?

Reply 9 of 13, by oerk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

That's a pretty neat big tower. 5x 5.25" bays, turbo indicator...does the lock serve to lock the case cover to the rest of the case, or it is actually on a little door that gives access to more bays?

That's a keyboard lock. Locks the keyboard.

Reply 10 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

Its a keyboard lock,

Also it has 5 5 1/4 bays, but thats all it has, i think it has a place for a hard drive bay, but its long since gone, it has a 3 1/2 to 5 1/4 floppy bay converter thats open and an IDE cable going to it, so I'm guessing someone put the hard drive up there.

But this thing is truely massive, and in surprisingly good shape. It has a 250W PSU as well, and the caps are all intact, so lots of power, but a replacement would be a pain, no holes for BabyAT PSU's just for full size AT PSU's so lets hope this one doesn't die, I'd need a very good drill to punch through the steel, which is 1/4in thick 🤣.

Reply 11 of 13, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also scored a free HP Pavilion A6000, it has two blown 1800uf 6.3V caps on the board, and an Athlon 64 X2 4800 AM2. The board will post but won't load an OS, but the two blown caps are related, the guy said one day it just stopped working.

I'm gonna set it aside to fix the caps, its an AM2+ board so maybe shove a 95W Phenom X4 in and give it to the kid to use, should be decent with a Phenom 9650 and 4gb of ram, I even have an ASUS 8800GS to throw in it with a 600W Bastec PSU

Reply 12 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
candle_86 wrote:

Here is the case, i put my K6-3 in it for now just because i have to wait till at least November to get around to soldering work, and i really wanted something old running

I used to have this case, but I had to dump it because I moved and it weighed a tonne. Not only is it well built, it's also a thing of beauty. It looks best when all the drives and empty panels are grey or black.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 13 of 13, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The case is tremendous!

If it was me... i'd probably convert it to a 386. 😁

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks