The 604 overkill build!

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
luckybob wrote:

I assume you figured out the post code error?

yes for older asus boards the post code were for ram errors.

also is it normal for a 3.6ghz sk604 xron to stay right around 60c? I do have smart fan on and speedsetp off.

untitled.jpg

Reply 61 of 83, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
yes for older asus boards the post code were for ram errors. […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:

I assume you figured out the post code error?

yes for older asus boards the post code were for ram errors.

also is it normal for a 3.6ghz sk604 xron to stay right around 60c? I do have smart fan on and speedsetp off.

untitled.jpg

Are you using the Xeon model without Hyperthreading or disabled it?

Also i see you Xeons are running at 2.8 Ghz which is ethier you still have EIST/SpeedStep enabled or your Xeons are actually throtling

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 62 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Speedstep is on until I get better heatsinks.
And yes they don't have HT. I'd have it disabled ether way. I'm not the biggest fan of it.

EDIT:
looking at the screen shot I now see why my xeon's run so damn hot. the voltage is way out of whack. I'll do a bios flash, maybe that will help???
Any other idea's ?

Reply 63 of 83, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would be interesting to see how much difference HT makes on a true-SMP system with modern software. I've seen some old with/without comparisons from back when it was introduced that implied it didn't make much difference, but that was on 1 physical CPU & old sofware. I'm sure multithreaded design has gotten tons better since then. I'm going to try some stuff on my PC-DL rig when its finished.

FWIW Intel lliked it enough they brought it back; my i7 desktop & i5 Macbook have it.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 64 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
xjas wrote:

Would be interesting to see how much difference HT makes on a true-SMP system with modern software. I've seen some old with/without comparisons from back when it was introduced that implied it didn't make much difference, but that was on 1 physical CPU & old sofware. I'm sure multithreaded design has gotten tons better since then. I'm going to try some stuff on my PC-DL rig when its finished.

FWIW Intel lliked it enough they brought it back; my i7 desktop & i5 Macbook have it.

On northwood xeons it would be good. But latter cores not so much. HT was more of less a washup on Prescott cores, cedermill was ok.

I bought 2 sets of dual core xeons for the system. I read that they work. Abd at 10$ for of them I'd thought I'd try.

4 cores of netburst with HT, how scary. That's 300~350w in the CPUs alone.
I also got a set of tower heat sinks for the system with heatpips

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-09-26, 17:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 65 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Got the tower heasinks and should get 2 sets of dual core Xeons today!
I'm also eye balling a newer quattro FX card to lower the power draw of the system.

Reply 66 of 83, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome stuff, two (real) dual-core chips should be absolute monsters. I looked up the board you're using and it has some great specs. Hope you have good A/C! 😜

BTW you've got receiving messages disabled, I can't reply to your PMs.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 67 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
xjas wrote:

Awesome stuff, two (real) dual-core chips should be absolute monsters. I looked up the board you're using and it has some great specs. Hope you have good A/C! 😜

BTW you've got receiving messages disabled, I can't reply to your PMs.

Fixed my inbox, sorry. Oh and I don't have a good ac to be honest, but with winter around the corner it will be a nice heater.
My hole ideal with this build is to have a retro PC I can use as a server, home PC,work PC, light cad and anything else I would want.

I got a set of duals today. 2 7120m witch are unlikely to work.

Reply 68 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

The dual cores did not work. Ordered a set of older duals and a fx1800, also 2 80mm fans for the cpu's
These will be the last parts I buy for the system. After that it's benching time!

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-09-27, 04:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 69 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

fuged my raid and the flash drive I bought does not like windoes do to its efi format. So i fired up centOS. oddly it see hyper theading yet windows does not 😕 I hate Linux. But it does work 😵 well.

Reply 70 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

got my fx3800 today. I also found out why 2k does not see hyperthreading. I'm using a older version of 2k that's not at all updated. So it sees HT as a second cpu and 2k only supports 2 cups out of the box. a

Reply 71 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Finle update before the benchmarks began!

I tryed a 2.8ghz dual core. Only one cpu will work, even with the newest bata bios. And I can't use the raid controller with it. So I'll stick with the 2 3.6ghz xeons.
I installed the fx1800 and advance server 2000.

Reply 75 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
untitled.png
untitled1.png

I'm having stability problems.
Something with the raid card or the onboard raid controller.
So I removed the raid card and disabled raid. The system is running fine now.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-10-02, 17:32. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 76 of 83, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
luckybob wrote:

You should so totally use XP.

Xp is junk. I'll use ME on this system befor i use xp.

I hope you are yoking about Windows ME, Windows 9x can't use more than 1 CPU/Core/Thread so a dual Xeon is really useless, plus Windows 9x (at least 98) runs unstable on Prescott based CPUs due to the extended CPUID value

I know you really dislike XP, i saw other people using Win 2K even on modern PCs, there a guy on YT who uses Windows 2000 on a Pentium G2010 (a moden Ivy Bridge CPU) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AUYjHF1M54

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 77 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Carlos S. M. wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:
luckybob wrote:

You should so totally use XP.

Xp is junk. I'll use ME on this system befor i use xp.

I hope you are yoking about Windows ME, Windows 9x can't use more than 1 CPU/Core/Thread so a dual Xeon is really useless, plus Windows 9x (at least 98) runs unstable on Prescott based CPUs due to the extended CPUID value

I know you really dislike XP, i saw other people using Win 2K even on modern PCs, there a guy on YT who uses Windows 2000 on a Pentium G2010 (a moden Ivy Bridge CPU) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AUYjHF1M54

It's not that I dislike XP, I just don't like all the junk it comes with. It's too booted if you ask me. I know it can be lighten up. But for me 2k is a lot better OS. And no I'm not running 9x on the system.

Did some tests. The system is much faster with HT on. About 5-6 seconds faster in wprime 32m with HT on.

Reply 78 of 83, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

Finle update before the benchmarks began!

I tryed a 2.8ghz dual core. Only one cpu will work, even with the newest bata bios. And I can't use the raid controller with it. So I'll stick with the 2 3.6ghz xeons.
I installed the fx1800 and advance server 2000.

Is it a 2.8ghz SL8MA you have? I ordered two like this for my Intel SE7520BD2 board i bought last year, but not tried them yet. Waiting for a case that have proper mounting holes for the heatsinks. Dual Cores are not officially supported on this board, but i will try anyway. If they dont work i hopefully can use them in A Compaq Proliant DL380 G4.

Reply 79 of 83, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Scraphoarder wrote:

Is it a 2.8ghz SL8MA you have?

I'll have to take a look.

image_id_1710056.bmp

I'll have to play around with memset to keep the system stable at any higher speed. 4ghz is rock solid stable.