VOGONS

First post, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Guys,

Well i thought i would share my 2nd build here on Vogons, one which i've been itching to get completed (well semi-completed) for a while now.

I originally picked up a Asus P5A bundled with a K6-2 500 for a great price to build a SS7 machine to play mainly late dos games and some Win95 games. Next up was a graphics card which i ended up playing it safe and picking up a 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000. The hard part was finding a case that I liked. I didn't want to go with a new modern case as i like the period looking beige cases for my old builds. I found an enlight 7237 for £10 shipped. The case is in actual fantastic condition.. bar the yellow front facia. I want to bring it back to white but i've seen comments which say it has character.

Finally was the sound card, now being a dos build it had to be an ISA card. I originally was hell bent on getting an AWE64 gold, but being a tight wad i didn't really want to pay money for one. I eventually settled on a AWE64 CT4380 which cost £8. But then i spotted this curious looking card on ebay which what looked have yamaha chips on it. Not one but two yamaha chips. I couldn't see any markings on the card that suggested the manufacturer etc except for SR-S163-C. Well i won the card for £2.99, and it ended up being a Sonata 3D with a YMF719-S & YMF704C OPL3/OPL4 combo. It's a fantastic card and has the duty of providing the sound for the dos games. I did fit a Audigy 2 ZS with live drive but i think i will remove it and utilize the S163 for both DOS and Windows.

Anyways Specs and Pics

AMD K6-2 500mhz
Asus P5A V1.06 Aladdin V Chipset board
128mb Crucial 133mhz SDRAM
3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 16mb AGP GFX card
Sonata 3D Yamaha OPL3/OPL4 ISA sound card
Audigy 2 ZS with Live Drive
Samsung 40gig 7200 Hard Disk
Teac 24x CD-RW and Floppy Drive
Enlight 7237 case with 300watt Hipower PSU

20160926_222540.jpg
20160926_222429.jpg
IMG_20160926_194750.jpg

Reply 1 of 7, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice build! Looking to put together something like it, albeit a little less advanced in the sound department, at some point.

While I do agree the yellowing gives the case a certain character, you state yourself that the whole idea is that you want period correctness. It wasn't yellow back then 😀 I'd definitely go over it with Retr0bright if I were you.

You might want to look into recapping that PSU by the way. Had the 360W variant of it that came Chieftec branded with a Chieftec Dragon case. Some caps went bad, it probably killed the socket 478 mobo I had in my main rig back then.

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the mobo/CPU combo, and where did you find it? Must have been a very good deal, if you find AWE64:s generally too expensive, but not the SS7 stuff you bought. I only seem to find P5A's at ridiculous prices, but then again, I probably look in the wrong places 😀

Reply 2 of 7, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kaputnik wrote:
Very nice build! Looking to put together something like it, albeit a little less advanced in the sound department, at some point […]
Show full quote

Very nice build! Looking to put together something like it, albeit a little less advanced in the sound department, at some point.

While I do agree the yellowing gives the case a certain character, you state yourself that the whole idea is that you want period correctness. It wasn't yellow back then 😀 I'd definitely go over it with Retr0bright if I were you.

You might want to look into recapping that PSU by the way. Had the 360W variant of it that came Chieftec branded with a Chieftec Dragon case. Some caps went bad, it probably killed the socket 478 mobo I had in my main rig back then.

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the mobo/CPU combo, and where did you find it? Must have been a very good deal, if you find AWE64:s generally too expensive, but not the SS7 stuff you bought. I only seem to find P5A's at ridiculous prices, but then again, I probably look in the wrong places 😀

Yeah i will get round to Retr0bright when the sun comes back hahaha. Thanks for the advice regarding the PSU. I will open it up an take a look. I have a Inwin 300watt PSU which i just looked over and looks to be fine so might swap that in.

Regarding the motherboard/cpu combo, i paid £12 shipped for both. Now it was originally listed as an acer motherboard which was probably the reason i got it so cheap, but that's how i go about buying my retro gear 🤣.

Reply 3 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great looking system, well-spec'd. Just keep in mind, if you retr0bright it, you won't be able to call it "The Cheese Block" anymore.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice build! Looks very clean, seems balanced (no memory left uncached I presume), well done!

If you intent to remove the front panel sound thingy and don't have any matching front bezel thingies (these aren't usually very standard, so the plastic front bezel thingies from other cases will usually not be a very good fit), I could give you the tip to add a white bezeled DVD drive (not a burner! 😁) to fill up the slot.

Having a CDROM burner and a separate DVD drive was a common thing in times that were slightly newer then your build, but I think it will look nicely still (especially if your DVD drive is white!).

Like Kaputnik mentioned, the PSU might be a weak spot of your build, mostly due to the caps that might start leaking, if they haven't already.

I can't make out the voltage rails, but ss7 usually won't strain your PSU very much anyway.

Very good no frills system, very nicely done!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:

If you intent to remove the front panel sound thingy and don't have any matching front bezel thingies (these aren't usually very standard, so the plastic front bezel thingies from other cases will usually not be a very good fit), I could give you the tip to add a white bezeled DVD drive (not a burner! 😁) to fill up the slot.

Having a CDROM burner and a separate DVD d

Yep did that! or CD-Rom and separate burner, as they were expensive so you wanted to save wear and tear on them.
Didn't know you could get the 2 ZS drive bay in white though, really want one! (funny enough to fill a missing front bezel) card is already in there as its my all time favourite Win9x Audio card.

and yeh, I'm not sold on the benefits of the gold over the regular Awe64 anyway.

Reply 7 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

I hate that enlight case SO VERY MUCH. 🙁

It is that cutting edge?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!