VOGONS

First post, by ifkz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope this post doubles as a new member introduction since I could not find an appropriate section. Here is my current vintage PC project list with some specs. Sorry it's not short, I hope some members enjoy the read!

1. Mini Cyrix Cx486SLC PC - a mini PC before they really invented the type, sold under the Carry-1 name. I used this for many years with my EPROM burner fixing arcade boards (another hobby of mine). I recently clipped out a leaky NiCad, cleaned it with vinegar, and replaced it with a super capacitor. It's a rock solid PC, but I still worry that the custom power brick that audibly chirps might give out and whether the Nicad's 3.5V and the super cap's 5V is going to do any harm long term. TOPBENCH marks it as equivalent to a 386-SX 33. After upgrades it has 16MB of parity RAM, a 1MB Diamond Speedstar ISA video card, and an 8-bit Soundblaster 2.0. It earns its place running Wolfenstien 3-D, Wing Commander 1, Druglord, Silpheed, Spectrum Holobyte's Tetris, Arknoid and slow Jazz Jackrabbit.

2. Compaq Prolinea 450 - my first newly purchased vintage PC. After upgrades it has a 486 DX-50, a 2MB Diamond PCI video card, 16MB EDO, and the original 540MB hard drive (a real rarity for that to still be spinning), and a PNP AWE64 CT4520 sound card. This has another custom power supply, compaq branded, that I worry about failing due to age alone. A great PC otherwise and very, very clean inside. Atariage members helped me get an F10 floppy together to access the Compaq BIOS and I can now get Topbench to benchmark it at the correct speed. Strangely, after a game I need to re-run the sound configuration from the AUTOEXEC.BAT or I get garbage static out of my speakers. Any ideas?

3. Gateway 2000 4DX-33V - After upgrades it is a 486 DX-66, 16MB EDO, and runs a VLB Western Digital video card. Super speedy, and manages to run Duke Nukem 3-D at a very playable frame rate in higher resolution VESA mode. A lot of visible corrosion on the interior and exterior of the case. The original 600MB hard drive is on the way out also, so this one needs to be stripped out and re-done. Thankfully the corrosion seems to have left the motherboard and drives alone. This my main DOS PC that I use to play Doom, Heretic, SimCity 2000, Descent, and all of the other goodies from the era.

4. Custom 486 - Thanks to the local thrift store for an Antec case, my co-workers for a few internal drives, etc I've pieced it together into a very similiarly spec'd rig I had back in 1994! 486DX-33, 12MB EDO & parity RAM, 10GB hard drive, 1MB Cirrus Logic ISA video card, Vibra16 Soundblaster ISA card. It works and looks okay for a custom; jet black case, white internal drives.

5. Custom 3dfx Voodoo3 - Another thrift store Antec, Pentium III-450 on a slot 2 (a rarity according to one of my PC collecting co-workers), recently purchased a 3rd party 3dfx Voodoo3 AGP video card for it called the Evil King 3. No driver disc came with it, can anyone help out?

6. Custom 3dfx Voodoo2 SLI - A configuration I have always wanted to have from back then, it's in the works! I have another Antec case, this time with a plexiglass side. I would like to go all out with some internal lighting, and I am open to any ideas. Paired with the fastest PIII I could find (thanks to Phil's Computer Lab for the tip and benchmarks).

7. A future 3dfx project - Back in the early 2000s I came into owning a Voodoo5 PCI card, now a collectable card since it was their last retail card before bankruptcy. Assuming I can get it together, what would be an ideal system to pair it with? At 64MB it seems a bit high-end to pair it with a Pentium III.

That's it for now (whew!). I am going to need some software help with the 3dfx cards. Phil's Computer Lab always pairs them with Windows98SE and that is no problem. In his videos he mentions fast Voodoo2 drivers at times, and updated Voodoo drivers. Is there a good refresher or some driver links that can help me out?

Reply 1 of 8, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a pretty sweet collection, that it is! Oh, and greetings and welcome!

That Slot 2 PIII - it's not a Xeon, is it? If it's not, that's a real rarity for sure. If it is, those were a little more common, but no worries, the Xeon is a mighty fine CPU, always has been other than the Netburst-core ones (which were dogs then, and are dogs now).

If you're worried about old power supplies pooping out, the real worry is electrolytic capacitors. If you know how to replace those, it's not too hard to keep some of those older PSUs going.

For the V5 rig, a Pentium III is probably fine, or a dual Pentium III/P3-Xeon if you feel really froggy. The V5 has two separate 32MB banks with each chip doing something akin to SLI internally, IIRC. I don't think a V5 will be bottlenecked by the processor very often, with a fast P3, but if you're concerned about that, a P4 or AthlonXP, or even an early Athlon64, isn't out of the question. (Though note that an Athlon64 will be spending a lot of time waiting for the GPU...)

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 2 of 8, by ifkz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! A lot of it is luck that I kept some of the pieces that formed these PCs around over the years. I remember saving the Voodoo5 only because it was PCI, and usable for troubleshooting in almost any PC. Now I understand it needs a bit more respect and I plan to build it into another PC. I guess I'll see what pops up at the local thrift store in 2017.
My collection of 10GB IDE hard drives game from a promise to wipe and donate them years ago that I never got around to, now I use them for these PCs. Internal floppy drives have been the hardest to locate, all of mine came from a co-worker's friend who luckily kept them around on a dusty shelf for many years.

Are there any hardware reporting pieces of software for older hardware? I use CPU-Z for the more modern types, but that blue screens on Windows 93SE.

I wonder what makes the Cyrix mini PC power brick chirp? It only happens when the PC is off; I've never had a capacitor chirp....bulge and smoke, sure, but...

Reply 3 of 8, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you go to http://www.philscomputerlab.com/ and look at his DOS Benchmarks section, there's a program included with it that gives a pretty comprehensive hardware readout. Look at the whole lot for CPU ID, especially with, say, newer 486 chips in older boards. I have one where System Information calls it an 88MHz Cyrix, the BIOS calls it a 100MHz Intel and CHKCPU correctly IDs it as an AMD 5x86 at 100. (Should be 133, but that's another problem, because the board is a little funky, and I'll have to install a kluge wire.) So, if System Information says something hinky about the CPU, check CPUCHK instead.

For 486 and newer machines, you could also boot NetBSD and use something like lshw, lspci, lsscsi, lsusb (yes, you can have USB on a 486, but why?). Or you could use the same tools in Linux, but in general NetBSD does a slightly better job with older (pre-Pentium Pro) hardware.

For the power brick, I'll bet the chirping would come from a transformer, but I'm not sure. Lemme ask a few friends who have a little more experience with tracing the old electra-ma-pixies at the low level.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 4 of 8, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the V5 rig I would go with a very high end P3 at least a 1Ghz Coppermine preferrably a Tualatin Core faster then that. Another option would be an Athlon Thunderbird or Athlon XP. I wouldn't go much higher then an Athlon XP personally most P4 motherboards could actually damage a V5.

I'd love to see photos of the Little Cyrix system always interested in unique retro rigs.

Reply 5 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rhuwyn wrote:

I wouldn't go much higher then an Athlon XP personally most P4 motherboards could actually damage a V5.

His V5 is PCI though (which is very nice as he can use it in almost anything 😁). Iirc it was basically a problem with AGP slots.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 8, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Rhuwyn wrote:

I wouldn't go much higher then an Athlon XP personally most P4 motherboards could actually damage a V5.

His V5 is PCI though (which is very nice as he can use it in almost anything 😁). Iirc it was basically a problem with AGP slots.

Oh Good point. I somehow missed that on my first readthrough.

Reply 8 of 8, by ifkz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure I would be happy to snap a few pictures once I get more organized and more PCs finished. I am running low on nearly every vintage part...

My 3dfx SLI build (#6 above) will be going in a blue Apevia X-Alien (early 2000's) case I found last month. It is looking more and more like I will have to move the early Pentium III hardware from #5 to this case and then pair my Voodoo5 with a higher end 1Ghz PIII motherboard to keep the hardware closer to period correct.

One other project: it is needing a case but I did get my K6 project running on the desk the other day. No idea on the CPU specs, it was found in a sorry state as a bare motherboard in a case with no front panel, no power supply, or drives of any type. I thought I would mention it since it is a popular computer to build from threads I have been reading. I might pair it with an early Voodoo card for fun since a stock 4MB PCI video card is rather boring.