optical unit: PIONEER DVD-105SZ
, MAN, I really like these Pioneer units!Last sunday
I went to the flea market, without a real goal, just to browse the merchandise
. It wasnt a sunny day and it was kind of cold, so there werent near as many sellers as usual. I took a few steps inside the market and I immediately saw a slot load DVD-ROM unit. The model was Pioneer DVD-105SZ
. Ever since I found the Pioneer DVD-120S I wanted to find another slot load Pioneer unit to have as a backup. I also wanted a unit with some decals on the front bezel. My wishes were heard by someone above and so I found this little gem
a little and paid just 2.2 EUR for it. NO BRAINER!
The unit was complete,
with some wear marks and a little dirty. It was missing the four screws that hold the metal cover. My gut feeling
was saying that it is in good working condition so I didnt mind these "little" details. As usual the seller told me that it is working and if I have problems I can come the following week for a refund. Yeah right.....I tested the unit
home and it was working like it was new. The load / unload cycle was flawless and it read the CD's quickly.
This was my only purchase
that day, as all the other old hardware available was in a condition which can be included in the following interval: ['DA F..K is DIS - Yep it MIGHT be still kicking]. gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/ncu8m76e/ Teardown
wasnt very complicated
What a barn find..... dust devils inside
the metal casing and the front bezel until they were squeaky clean.
The load / unload mechanism of the Pioneer DVD-105SZ
is more streamlined than the one of the Pioneer DVD-120S:
1. no rubber belt - a screw and sprocket setup - very GOOD!!!!
2. simplified load / unload mecanism
3. micro switches for load / unload - it operates faster and easier
4. no complex metal or plastic parts.
5. fewer springsI like more this type of construction.
I think when Pioneer manufactured this unit, it employed some of its know how from car stereos industry.More later.gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/3aebph250/
Next step was the cleaning
of the inside of the unit.The cleaning
was straight forward and because the unit was in good working condition, I didnt want to damage something, so I didnt disassemble the unit until the last nut and bolt.
I managed to detach the PCB
but I couldnt remove it completly because two wires from the load/unload motor were soldered on the motherboard. Even so I managed to clean it pretty well.The inside of the unit
was trickier to clean but nothing too difficult. A long soft brush and some cotton sticks were exactly what the doctor ordered
I also gently cleaned the laser lens
and it was really dirty. Even so it read the CD's without problems.
I also lightly greased with silicone grease
the sprockets, metal rails and a few guiding plastic rails.
Then I assembled
the unit and tested
it again. It works like it is new Over and out. For now.... gallery: https://postimg.org/gallery/n18amgqg/