Build Log: P3/V5500/GF2Ultra Water Cooled Build - A Marriage of Retro and Modern

Showcase your Retro PC / Build logs.

Re: Build Log: P3/V5500/GF2Ultra Water Cooled Build - A Marriage of Retro and Modern

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-5-05 @ 12:45

AzzKickr wrote:If you payed via Paypal you are at least fully covered for the purchase amount, even if Ebay is not willing to budge.

BTW: in the event that it does turn up, or you get another one, I have an idea to have some quick benchmarks between us as I'm running a P4 1.4 and also have both GF2 Ultra and V5 in my collection :)

Yeah, not worried about not getting the money back. I just really want the modded 1.4GHz. I've got a 1.13GHz on my watchlist (native mobo support) for a reasonable price just incase.

And would love to share and compare benchmarks :D

Today:

Didn't do too much, been enjoying Quake Champions beta. But I did do 20 Pin ATX cable management. This was a challenge, required taking apart the whole cable again, removing all the internals and redoing the whole cable. End result? Bloody awesome.

Feeding cables one by one through the small hole at the top. It wasn't big enough to fit a whole connector though.

Continued doing that until complete. I used a couple of 24 pin cable combs to keep it looking neat.

Had to reposition one of the CCFLs to be on the side instead of the top now, but made it work. Those cables will be sleeved eventually so they aren't ugly and white.

All finished now.

Also installed the IO plate while I was at it. :cool:
x0zm_

Re: Build Log: P3/V5500/GF2Ultra Water Cooled Build - A Marriage of Retro and Modern

Postby AzzKickr » 2017-5-05 @ 13:01

I always admire good sleeving work, yet have never succesfully completed it. Had some attempts in the past but with lousy results. I blame the sleeving brand :P
Looking at this I might give it another shot though :)

I have also been playing the Champions beta a couple of weeks ago. Fun game yet nothing special. I'm just hoping it will provide the same "customizability" as Q3 in terms of console commands, tweaks, mods, dedicated servers, ... bout I doubt it very much.
Heresy grows from idleness ...
AzzKickr

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-5-06 @ 18:14

AzzKickr wrote:I always admire good sleeving work, yet have never succesfully completed it. Had some attempts in the past but with lousy results. I blame the sleeving brand :P
Looking at this I might give it another shot though :)

I have also been playing the Champions beta a couple of weeks ago. Fun game yet nothing special. I'm just hoping it will provide the same "customizability" as Q3 in terms of console commands, tweaks, mods, dedicated servers, ... bout I doubt it very much.

Yeah, sleeving quality makes a huge difference. I've tried with the cheap AliExpress rubbish before and it was crap. Not very tightly weaved so wires were visible. Didn't melt well and overall a bad experience. Since I started buying better quality (MDPC-X, Darkside, Shakmods and Teleios - whoever has the colours I'm after for a specific build) I've had great results. I used to use Paracord but since I found PET I've never looked back.

Also heard they'll be adding mod support to Quake Champs in the future. Not sure how far in the future that is though. :lol: But I'll play regardless, because hopefully it won't be dead like Quake Live is here.

tl;dr for upcoming paragraphs:

Considering GPU backplate upgrades to make them special and stand out more. Australia sucks for buying things. I'm getting old and grumpy. Rambling because it is 4am and when I start researching something I can't sleep until it is done.

Updates for Today:

Didn't do anything with the system physically, aside from some overdue house cleaning and ripping my game CDs to ISOs to put onto USB for this computer since there's no ODD, I've gone back to the drawing board on my backplates.

When I got my build name laser cut, I've been thinking more about how great laser cutting is. It certainly beats all the hand cutting I've been doing, but it just isn't feasible for when I'm simply cutting out rectangles and other simple shapes. Meanwhile, I was talking to the guy who is making all my domed badge replicas for ones I can't source for this build since he has a vinyl plotter and printer. We got onto the topic of this project and, he has a desktop laser cutter and 3D printer too. He's into the whole maker thing I suppose.

I'm going to try to get some more acrylic at a good price to do my backplate designs in 3D now. Some transparent acrylic cut out to make the design and painted black (for consistency in colour with the other painted acrylic) with the UV green showing below it. I'd prefer to get some 1mm or 2mm, since the existing backplate is already 3mm and I don't want it getting ridiculously thick.

If that all works out, I'll be building a totally separate backplate for a fellow retro gamer and good friend of mine - a Voodoo5 5500 backplate with built in lighting and a fan controller (which will likely be adapted from a readily available one), so he can adjust the speed on the aftermarket fans he put on it easily. It's now in my long list of acrylic based projects, with the AT test bench and scratch case build, but probably will be first to get done after this build since it is the fastest.

Ahh, all the possibilities. Makes me want to invest in my own laser cutter! Maybe if I was building full time :happy:

Rant:

If there's one thing that has really hit home building this, it is that Australia sorely lacks a central place to buy PC modding supplies at reasonable prices. I've been doing this for awhile, but it has generally been simple and straightforward stuff. Water cooling and other hardware components aside, it is impossible to find high quality screws, nuts, acrylics, tools, paints, wire and sleeving components in one place like it is in the US and Europe. We don't even have a company that does custom sleeving locally!

With the amount I spent on shipping and the time I spent waiting, I'd rather have paid someone to make my extensions for me. But not an option here. One admittedly great company does sell MDPC-X and all the sleeving supplies here though, just not the custom sleeving service. They were also out of the colour I wanted when I was purchasing. :blah: Everyone else sells premade Chinese crap or overpriced (and still crap) Cablemod.

Now when I talk about screws, I don't mean standard M3, M4 or 6-32 case screws, I mean the nice ones. Polished/chromed/titanium/anodised ones. I can buy 10pcs of decent quality M3 5mm screws for about $6. They aren't very nice though because they have stamped lettering on them. Same price, I can buy 100pcs of them from China with free shipping, that actually look nice and something you could put on display in a mod project.

It's just frustrating when I have go to go one store to buy one or two things and pay shipping, another store to buy one thing and pay shipping, go overseas to buy some more and more shipping costs, shop around locally to hope I can find things which sometimes does work out, but also often doesn't.

We got some really talented modders in Australia, but sourcing is just... ugh. It's not too bad if you do it a lot since you are going to be buying in bulk, which means you can either buy from the good suppliers here, or just order a lot from China at once. For one off projects though, the shipping often ends up costing more than the actual parts. This has happened to me in a big way in this build, and it is just wasted money I could have actually put into more hardware or nicer mods.

Rant over :-/

Upcoming:

I have a young cousin (16) coming over to my house tomorrow. He loves computers and wants to get into modding, so I said he can sleeve some of the cables that aren't visible / are in the back of the case to get some real hands on experience. I don't expect it to be anything amazing, but it's not visible and he'll have some fun, so it's all good.

Might do some paint experimenting on the scraps tomorrow while he does that. While writing this and proofreading, I thought about my backplate idea for my friend and might implement some of that on my own. Not the fan control since it'll be water cooled eventually, but some low voltage UV LED lighting for each GPU card. Just to make sure it really glows nicely. Guess it's back to eBay/AliExpress for me tomorrow :) Thank goodness I'm off work until the 15th. :evil:
x0zm_

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-5-08 @ 04:27

Hooray!

Showed up today :exclamation: :-D

Watercooling fittings have passed through Customs in Sydney this morning as well.

It's all coming together...
x0zm_

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-5-09 @ 07:19

Bought more wire to finish both VGA card molex cables.

And then these showed up

So almost everything has finally arrived save for a few modding bits and pieces. My plan this week now is to set up everything out of the case, install the OS, stability test to make sure everything is working well with the modded Tualatin CPU. Once I'm happy with that and make any changes that are necessary, it's time to install and set up the loop and finally build this beast. :cool: :-D
x0zm_

Postby Fusion » 2017-5-10 @ 06:00

Do you have plans to overclock the V5? I'm glad you finally got your CPU. I remember reading this thread and noticed your poor luck on getting it on time. lol
P3V3_2K: Pentium III @ 558 - 512MB PC133 @ 124 - Voodoo 3 3000 PCI 16MB @ 195/195 - SB Live! - Windows 2000 Pro
I7G960_W10: I7 2600 @ 3.4 - 16GB DDR3 @ 1333 - ASUS GeForce GTX 960 Strix 2GB (OCed)- Windows 10
Fusion

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-5-10 @ 18:44

Fusion wrote:Do you have plans to overclock the V5? I'm glad you finally got your CPU. I remember reading this thread and noticed your poor luck on getting it on time. lol

Already have it at 183MHz, same as I've had it for years. Not comfortable going higher without special RAM cooling. But I'll do some experimenting and see. Would rather have lower speeds and a longer lasting card :wink:

And yeah, really happy to have the CPU. Still haven't had time to test it since I've got so much other, more important things to do on my time off around the house. I hope to get around to it in the next couple of days though.

Few more fittings I had to buy since I made some loop plan changes. I bought them locally for more money so I'll get it within a week instead of waiting ages from China. Also bought some silicone dots that I can put between the CPU and the retention clip so it doesn't scratch the chromed finish. Going to play around with some different methods and old retention clips to see the best way to make them nice and shiny to match the rest of the metal in there.

The glass and chrome block/fittings look really nice with some early experimenting. I've actually found some mirror finish acrylic, which I want to laser cut to make a 3dfx/Nvidia(or GeForce2)/Pentium III badge set instead of domed stickers. I think it would look pretty great on the side black acrylic panel with the other chrome stuff, but at the same time I don't wanna be a brand whore and overdo it.

The further I get along in this project, the more I find I want to do. :lol: Which is all well and good. The important hardware is here. The rest are just nice to have things I can get around to eventually.
x0zm_

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-5-11 @ 19:45

Got around to testing the CPU today - works great!

Haven't installed an OS yet because I'm still waiting on housemate to give the SSD back, so I used some boot CD I had laying around to do some hardware testing in the meantime. DBANed the 80GB HDD, even though it was advertised as new, better safe than sorry on eBay. Ran some memory diagnostics, that was all good.

Ghetto setup on the floor near the build desk.

Time to put on a movie :)

Excellent.

Now I have to format it to FAT32, get that SSD and I can start setting up the OS before installing the loop.
x0zm_

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-5-20 @ 00:02

No posts in awhile, been busy with that dreaded "real life".

Got my Samsung 850 EVO back, acrylic solvent and some other very minor things arrived. I'm going to get Win98 set up, installed and hardware stress tested for stability before preparing, and finally completing the final build. :)
x0zm_

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-5-20 @ 05:20

This system is looking cooler with every post!
Never send a kid to do a mans job.
Translation.
Never user a single CPU system when you can use a Dual CPU system.
Jade Falcon
Oldbie

Postby AzzKickr » 2017-5-20 @ 19:41

Jade Falcon wrote:This system is looking cooler with every post!

+1 !

What is DBAN though ? A low level format tool ?
Heresy grows from idleness ...
AzzKickr

Postby mrau » 2017-5-20 @ 20:22

AzzKickr wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:This system is looking cooler with every post!

+1 !

What is DBAN though ? A low level format tool ?

just a disk wiper, nothing lowlvl though
mrau
Oldbie

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-5-22 @ 02:49

Didn't get to do as much as I had hoped on the weekend, but I have some non-interesting photos and some story to tell at least.

A syringe that cost me $4 delivered, to fill the loop.

850 EVO 120GB to install Windows on. Finally got it back. Formatted it to FAT32, aligned everything, should be good to go, right? Wrong!

Off to a good start.

NOPE!

I tried a couple of times, and it always resulted in a BSOD and then that. I moved PCI slots around, I moved SATA ports around - still the same. Changed the CPU back to the old one - same. Changed RAM - same. Changed GPU - same.

I was getting frustrated. Reset the BIOS - same.

It was decidedly a good time to go investigating further. I know it worked fine installing on my IDE hard drive back when I was originally testing the motherboard, so I installed Win98SE again on that. No issues.

I thought the SATA controller just might not like this board, which was worrying. There aren't many affordable PCI SATA controllers with a built in BIOS. I didn't want to have to go through the whole motherboard bios editing to load a SATA Controller BIOS while replacing the logo or something. At this point I thought it was best to take a break and think about options. I loaded up some Quake III and fragged away against bots while pondering the situation. About an hour later, I decided to go and look through all the BIOS settings, one by one to see what may cause an issue.

I gave it a new CMOS battery just in case - even though I replaced it when I got it. Virus Scan was enabled, and I know that can cause issues writing to MBR, so I disabled that. PnP OS was disabled, so I enabled that. I set the date correctly. I tried once more and it seemed to work. I didn't keep my hopes up though.

It copied the files in no time at all - as expected with an SSD. It didn't get this far, so that was nice. I was dreading the restart, but it survived the restart. CD Key entered and details filled in.

I was cautiously optimistic. Another restart.

I still didn't trust it. I restarted the computer a number of times, and it always seemed to work.

At this point I'd been trying to get it installed for six hours, something that should have only taken 20 minutes if I had just checked over BIOS settings in the first place. I didn't feel like doing anything else hardware or software related at this point, so I went back to working on another retro project.

I'll do more later. I just don't want to look at this damn PC again for the rest of the day. :dead:
x0zm_

Postby Jade Falcon » 2017-5-22 @ 03:24

I been there. 98 can be buggy when it comes to installing on such setups. But once you find what works your good.
Never send a kid to do a mans job.
Translation.
Never user a single CPU system when you can use a Dual CPU system.
Jade Falcon
Oldbie

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-5-22 @ 22:19

Jade Falcon wrote:I been there. 98 can be buggy when it comes to installing on such setups. But once you find what works your good.

Hope so :) It was a real pain in the arse, and one of the few times I've felt like I'm failing miserably at a project. I was hoping I wouldn't have to go and use the brown ASUS CUSL2 and redo all my cables because of new lengths.

Here's what I did yesterday after work instead of working more on the Windows install (not entirely related to this project, but stuff in similar vein):

Top plates for both GPUs (bottom two items). Since I have access to a laser cutter now, thought I'd do that. They'll be more spaced out than that, they are just squished together to save space. The top two are backing/light diffusing plates for the 3dfx RGB backplate I'm making for my friend. It is on Opal acrylic, so my ones will be painted black.

Top plate for aforementioned friend's backplate. Black acrylic. I may do all my expansion slots on this instead of on the opal and painting it, if I can fit enough onto the sheet I bought.

The holes are there because they'll be screwed together because that's the look he wants. I would have done it to mine too if I didn't already make half of it without holes, and I hate drilling thin acrylic - especially when the green stuff was expensive as hell. Might just chop up some stainless steel button head hex screws and glue them on. Matches the CPU block/fittings anyway. :lol:

That aside -

Been gathering all the drivers and software for installation and testing. If it is stable, it is the installation that'll remain on it. I'll be running the following, based on experience from my other systems. If anyone has any recommended changes I'm open to suggestions though!
  • Nvidia Drivers: Version 45.23
  • 3dfx Drivers: Latest official 3dfx drivers. I've never dived too far into the modified/custom drivers, but I might do it.
  • Audio: Whatever version of the Sound Blaster drivers I've always used. Not sure, it was from Vogonsdrivers.
  • Chipset: Probably Hyperion 4in1 ver 4.43. Seems to be the most stable for my chipset/Win98SE from research.

I'll likely be sticking with DirectX 7 since I don't play anything past that and works best from experience. Will use those updated Glide files that I got from Falconfly awhile ago that have served me well.

Will be running 3Dmark99, 00 and 01, plus UT99 and Q3A. If I can do all of that well, and faster than my PIII 1GHz w/ Quadro2 Pro/V5 PCI on an Intel 815E chipset board I'll be happy. I could get that thing running UT99 on the PCI V5 5500 at over 100-120fps in some maps.

Also hoping to take some nice, high res glamour shots of things on the DSLR soon, because I love doing that. Probably when backplates are done. :P
x0zm_

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-5-23 @ 04:26

Decided to put everything on one opal sheet instead, and just paint it. Colour consistency! It'll also be 1mm thinner in total. Also good for testing my friends backplate since I had to use the space on something.

Holes are for the faux-screws. May be real screws if I decide to drill holes in the UV acrylic. I have the 3dfx card, the Canopus card, the sound card there. I don't think I'll do it for the SATA controller or the Network card since they are smaller and hidden, so they can have normal painted UV green backplate.

Cautiously plugged this in. I was scared. This thing is rare and expensive, and I didn't want it to explode.

Thankfully it didn't. I did have to clear the CMOS and redo all my settings for it to work though after having a the GF2 GTS in the AGP slot, otherwise it kept hanging on verifying DMI pool. This chipset is really, really fickle compared to the Intel ones I always use.
x0zm_

Postby x0zm_ » 2017-5-24 @ 01:19

Didn't have much free time, but installed some drivers and plugged in both cards at once. :)

Installed Nvidia drivers, 3dfx drivers, USB storage device drivers and chipset drivers. Next up is DirectX and benchmarking stuff.

------------

Didn't want to make a new post. Run 3DMark99 during my self-imposed lunch break.

DirectX 7.0A and GF2 Ultra. No overclocking done or settings modified yet, just wanted to make sure it worked.

Mm, that 10 year old LCD delay.

Neat.
x0zm_

Previous

Return to System Specs