VOGONS

First post, by gfh110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all! This is my first post here and I'm starting my retro build journey with something I've been wanting to do for a long time, then I plan to start working my way backward in time! I recently helped a friend of mine move to a new house and in payment he gifted me with a pile of old components, mostly much older than what I'm planning to build today, but hidden among the IDE ribbon and dial-up modems was a Socket A motherboard. So with that inspiration I'm starting on a recreation of my scarred and battle-hardened high school LAN party PC, circa 2001-2003.

I "built" my first custom PC just before 2000 and when I use quotes it's because even though I was familiar with hardware and upgrading components, I wasn't yet in a position to cobble parts together from different sources and build something from scratch. So I did what most 15-year-olds of that era did: got taken in by the marketing hype and bought an Alienware...

12-17-Case1_zps8uexlnkb.jpg

...of which I still have the branded Chieftec Dragon case and it will house this build. I've long since lost the exact specs, but it was originally a Pentium 4 with RDRAM and, I think, a GeForce 2, but it might have been an original Radeon R100. I bought it specifically because my friends and I had just been introduced to the wonderful world of Unreal Tournament and my family's old HP just couldn't hang. And to my brooding angst-ridden teenage heart's chagrin it soon became clear that my shiny new Alienware wasn't going to cut it for very long either.

So I'm not rebuilding my first PC exactly. I'm rebuilding the PC I upgraded it into around my senior year with a few enhancements that I just couldn't afford back in the day. To get started, here are the original specs:

- MSI K7N2 Delta-L
- Athlon XP 2400+ @ 2.0Ghz (Thoroughbred)
- PNY DDR 400 PC3200 @ 2GB
- Albatron GeForce 4 Ti4800 SE
- SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum*
- Seagate Barracuda 80GB IDE

* Absolute overkill, but I craved that beautiful front panel with all the I/O and knobs and nonsense. Plus I do play a few instruments so that made my amateur recording efforts much easier.

Now, unfortunately I have to rebuild this machine almost entirely from scratch because most of the components of the original system are gone. I never throw old hardware away and I very rarely sell sell it off, but somehow most of this stuff has disappeared over the years. The only parts I still have are the CPU, GPU and hard drive, but I mentioned a few "enhancements" so I doubt I'll even use those. I found the box for the motherboard, but there's an ASUS P5N-D inside... curious.

I've been bidding and collecting parts for the last few weeks in preparation for this build, mostly from eBay and Amazon, so I'm nearly ready to go. I had budgeted myself $300 total to cover everything including major components and incidental stuff like fans, cables, and all that crap. I know I could've sourced things differently, scoured Craigslist, Goodwill, yard sales, and basically been more patient, but my day job includes a 3-hour total commute so when the weekend comes I'd rather the stuff just show up at my front door with minimal hassle.

I don't plan on doing any super heavy overclocking with this machine and I'm sure there are better/smarter choices to be made in my component selection, but this is what the 2003 version of me would have wanted to build to show off to his friends. It's a total vanity project; the type William Shatner would definitely approve of.

So here's what we've got so far:

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe

2-17-ASUS_zps9msp3y61.jpg

This is not the motherboard that was in the pile of PCB from my friend; that was a Biostar M7NCD which I used for testing all the other components while I waited for this to arrive. I would have gone with the original MSI board if I could find it, but I was lurking in threads here, and digging through Tom's Hardware and Overclock.net looking for suggestions on the best nForce 2 boards out there and it came down to three:

- ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
- ABIT NF7-S V2
- DFI LANPARTY NFII ULTRA-B

Some people swore by the ABIT, others by the ASUS. I'll admit I was most interested in the DFI board because of the excessive amount of bells and whistles, but that particular model proved impossible to find online over the last couple months and reviews of DFI's build quality seemed dubious. All my other PC's run ASUS hardware and a decent deal on this board popped up near me, so I ran with it. It also came with...

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+ (Barton)

2-17-3200_zpsnexspnl7.jpg

I had the old 2400+ waiting in the wings which would have served my purposes just fine, but since this came with the motherboard, why would I refuse? Especially since if I had the resources as an impulsive high school senior I would have gone for the top of line regardless of price vs. performance.

Local Market: $50

CPU COOLING: Zalman 7000

2-18-Fans_zpsimcm0iub.jpg

This was originally going to be a Vantec Aeroflow, but because I'm an idiot and take eBay listings at their word, I ended up with the WRONG version of that particular cooler. I would have returned it and raised some fuss about misleading product information, but maybe I'll find a use for it someday.

Thankfully, it opened the door to my first choice. I had gone with the Vantec solution because of space concerns on the motherboard, but it seems like most enthusiast boards around the latter nForce 2 era left enough room around the socket so that this monstrosity won't interfere.

eBay: $15 Vantec / $30 Zalman

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline

12-17-RAM_zps3fww4qfq.jpg

eBay: $16

That's RAM all right. I'm using Mushkin for now because at the time I had an older friend who was much heavier into benchmarking and overclocking than I was and he swore by the stuff, so this is my tribute to him. I remember a rush of excitement seeing heat spreaders on a DIMM for the first time. Just for fun, here's a terrible period-correct quality pic of his rig from 2002. Back in the good old days of beige cases, spraypaint, dremel tools and plexiglass.

tdt3_2_zpsxvnc84wv.jpg

GPU: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

2-17-9800Pro_zpsz6hmvh1n.jpg

Now, since this project is purely for the sake of vanity I had to indulge this one base desire. I know the performance gain over the 9700 is minimal, but in 2003 (at least in my neck of the woods) this was THE piece of prestige hardware to set oneself apart from the rest of the AGP peasants. A friend of mine had the all-in-wonder version, and we paid tribute to him as our de-facto lord. I'll probably swap in the GeForce 4 for the sake of comparison, but this card kept me up at night.

eBay: $25

SOUND: SB Audigy2 ZS Platinum

2-17-Audigy2_zpsvt9te1h7.jpg

This is the one component that wrecked my budget and I'm honestly not convinced, even for the sake of nostalgia, that I should have spent as much as I did. I could have gotten the barebones ZS with just the PCI card, but I had to have it all. I would LOVE to know what happened to my original, because I wouldn't have given it up for the world. I'd probably still be using it today...

eBay: $130

DISPLAY: Samsung SyncMaster 914v / Acer X191w

2-17-Samsung_zpscxozo56f.jpg12-17-Acer_zpsxngib6y7.jpg

I had a CRT on the original machine, but for now I'm going with an LCD, even though it's a few years newer than this rig would have been. Since it was free (among the pile from my afforementioned friend) I didn't see the need to hunt for anything else and because I'm going for a nostaliga build the classic 4:3 display ratio works for me. It's practically as heavy as a CRT, too.

I also have an Acer widescreen option if I ever feel like treading those waters. I love that display. I used to work at Staples back in the day and at one point me and my employee discount had four of these monitors. These days I'm down to two...

MISC COMPONENTS:

12-17-Misc_zpsl9uf3xoj.jpg

The case is designed to accept four (maybe five?) 80mm fans: 1-side intake, 1-front intake, 2-rear exhaust. These are all Cooler Master fans and ran me about $25 total on Amazon. I also grabbed a few 3-pin Y-splitters and extensions just in case for another $12.

The fans are being powered by a generic 3.5" LCD fan/temp display... thing. This was also in the pile of parts from my oft-mentioned friend. It doesn't appear to have any control capability, only monitoring via three probes labeled "front, rear, and CPU" so it's pretty pointless, but I would've been all over it in 2003. Attached to it are the mounting rails for the 5.25" drive bays and of course I managed to lose some of them over the years. I needed one more set so those cost me $10 on eBay. There's also a Zip drive in there because why not? I found a few 100MB disks in storage that haven't been touched in a decade, so I figured I'd fire them up. Who knows what treasures await? And of course an appropriate mouse pad.

12-17-Case2_zpsewy3j1jc.jpg

I needed a Floppy drive and I had one in storage, but I still shelled out $5 for a round cable. And a generic multi-card reader fills out the other empty 3.5" bay. The Acer optical drive is SATA and the motherboard only has two SATA ports which I'm already planning to fill with hard drives, so this is going to get replaced with a Sony IDE drive I had in storage. I could probably forego an optical drive entirely, but I want it for nostalgia's sake. Drive placement isn't final and unfortunately two of the three case badges don't apply to this build, so I guess I'm going to have to break out the Goo-Gone...

Last but not least, even though they wouldn't do a damn thing to prevent unauthorized entry, I needed to replace the keys to my case locks because I am a sadistic completionist. These ran me a cool $7 from Houston-based Directron.

All in all the cost of building this 2003 LAN party retro PC was about $260 of my $300 budget. Still left to acquire is a storage solution and that's where I turn to you for advice!

STORAGE:

In almost 25 years of PC gaming there's one thing I've never explored and that's a RAID setup. It's mainly down to ignorance, but having educated myself on the topic and looked into my options for this legacy system I've decided that the 2003 version of myself would have DIED for RAID 0 if he knew what I know now.

I'm not going the SSD route with this machine because I'd like to stay somewhat period-correct. Right now I'm thinking a pair of WD VelociRaptors is what I would have craved. Are there any compatibility concerns between modern SATA hard drives and what was around 15 years ago? (Besides the transfer speeds, of course.) Is it worth looking into old SATA 1.0 drives at all? Any other suggestions?

Thanks all, hopefully I'll get started on this next weekend. Have yourselves a great evening.

EDIT: Borked images.

Last edited by gfh110 on 2018-02-19, 15:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Or, you can help me follow a time-honored tradition of throwing computer hardware at a software problem. -Ross Scott

Reply 1 of 15, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a really cool build with a lot of nostalgic ideas thrown into it. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it goes once it's completed. 😁

gfh110 wrote:

Are there any compatibility concerns between modern SATA hard drives and what was around 15 years ago? (Besides the transfer speeds, of course.) Is it worth looking into old SATA 1.0 drives at all? Any other suggestions?

Unfortunately, the answer is yes if you're using a VIA SATA controller since most older VIA SATA1 controllers can behave erratically when it comes to SATA2/3 drives, since your motherboard appears to use a Silicon Image controller, you're probably in the clear (the worst that could happen is slower performance ofc). Even if your controller didn't like drives that were set to run in SATA2/3 mode, you can always look for a drive that has a jumper block since most hard drive manufacturers (including Seagate and Western Digital) made SATA2/3 drives that used that jumper block to limit it to SATA1 mode so the older buggy (VIA) SATA controllers could happily use those drives in SATA1 mode.

Reply 2 of 15, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Chieftec Dragon builds make me feel nostalgic as hell. Kind of surprised Alienware would use them though, since they were so ubiquitous and it's hard to feel superior for paying $500 for gamer branding when half the other people at the LAN party have the same case.

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D

Reply 3 of 15, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Woolie Wool wrote:

Chieftec Dragon builds make me feel nostalgic as hell. Kind of surprised Alienware would use them though, since they were so ubiquitous and it's hard to feel superior for paying $500 for gamer branding when half the other people at the LAN party have the same case.

but it has alienware inscribed on it!

Reply 4 of 15, by Scubs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Needs UV lights and a DFI lanparty board. 🤣

like this
UV_PC.jpg

Nice system by the way.

Richo wrote:
Woolie Wool wrote:

but it has alienware inscribed on it!

alienware was kind of cool in those days, not like they are today.

Reply 5 of 15, by gfh110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Scubs wrote:

Needs UV lights and a DFI lanparty board. 🤣

Give it time. I have an NZXT Redline case waiting in the wings for just such an occasion...

I agree that Alienware was pretty cool back in the day. For me, they kind of hit their peak when they introduced their custom Dragon case:

Alienware-Unveils-New-Area-51-And-Aurora-Case-Design-Option-2.jpg

That's an objectively cool design, if not kitschy as all hell. If I had waited a couple years before I bought mine, I would have been more excited about the case than the contents. Although to be fair, I am very much content with the brutish simplicity of the classic Dragon case. I used to call it "The Monolith."

Speaking of contents, here's what is currently residing inside my soon-to-be nostalgia machine:

12-18-Current_zps5iqchl4t.jpg

I have three cases that I just continually hand down older components into as I upgrade my main rig, and this is the oldest of the three. (The other is a nondescript beige case that travels with me, as I'm often on the road living in hotels for work, and I hate laptops.) This is more or less the machine I upgraded to after the original LAN Party PC that I'm rebuilding today finally proved inadequate in the mid 2000's. Specs are:

- ASUS P5N-E SLI
- Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
- G.Skill DDR2 800 PC6400 @ 8GB
- EVGA GeForce GTX 280 (Originally a pair of 8800 GTS in SLI)
- WD Blue SATA HDD @ 300GB

I'm planning to use this machine as a console emulator, or possibly in a MAME cabinet at some point in the future, but for now it's going into storage. I would like to use this power supply in the new build, but I am aware that these old Athlon XP's need a lot of juice on the 5V rail. I am woefully inadequate when it comes to my grasp of power management an electricity in general, but to my limited understanding its seems like this should be adequate, yes?

12-17-PSU_zpsvwbytnou.jpg

Much obliged.

Or, you can help me follow a time-honored tradition of throwing computer hardware at a software problem. -Ross Scott

Reply 6 of 15, by gfh110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I cleaned out the case and started building the new system today and thus begins my slow descent into madness. A friend of mine asked me why I would willingly subject myself to this exercise. Wasn't I happy we were beyond the days of jumper settings and IRQ conflicts? Those I can manage. Currently, I can't get the system to POST, so one thing at a time...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that the answer to my problem is the power supply since it seems like all socket-A related issues end up there.

My initial setup was CPU, RAM, GPU (Radeon), and an 80GB IDE drive I had preloaded with XP. The status LED on the motherboard is lit and everything spins up, but there's no signal to the monitor and nothing from the PC speaker. Last time this happened to me something was shorting, so I checked all the mounting points, re-dusted the whole board, blew out the slots, re-seated everything and tried again. Same result. Cleared the CMOS, new battery, nothing. I swapped out the GPU for my old GeForce 4, but that didn't work. I switched out the RAM, tried different configurations, used a stick I knew was working; still nothing. Swapped out the 3200+ for a 2800+; nope. I did some digging and didn't notice before that the board was revision 1.01, so it possibly needed a BIOS update to get it to play nice with Barton cores. I tried changing the jumper to 200Mhz FSB; no dice.

But now it''s 5 O'clock and it's time to start drinking. More tomorrow... maybe?

2-24-Current_zpspryqazm6.jpg

Reply 7 of 15, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Careful with those Xion psu's. I had a 800watt version have the 5v rail go out and kill a video card. It was a R9 380 so it wasnt even a power hog 😒

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 9 of 15, by gfh110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Every lan party case needs some straps and/or handles.

I might bolt some re-purposed backpack straps to the side of the case. Need to get it running first!

Reply 11 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Built 2 PC's based on that motherboard, 1 for my younger brother and other for a friend, I remember they got a good write up but even with my staff discount I had more important things to spend my money on. Wonder what my brother did with it?

The soundcard though I have lots of experience with! I've got one with the internal I/O, another with the external I/O and finally a 3rd that's just the card. It's my goto PCI soundcard these days.

Recently I've been setting up on board raid now that I have picked up enough old sata HDD's, I'm not convinced it makes much of a difference but it is cool!

Reply 12 of 15, by gfh110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Last-minute addition to the party that I found at a not-unbearable price:

2-27-MOUSE_zpszyzmqnig.jpg

This is one of my all-time favorites. It just feels right.

Reply 13 of 15, by gfh110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

February was an excruciatingly long month --despite being so short-- but March is off to a great start as I introduce the newest member of the family and current problem-solver:

12-28-ABIT_zpsgqk6kehi.jpg

This is the ABIT NF7-S v2.0 that I referenced in my first post as being a contender for this Socket-A/nForce 2 build. You'll notice the conspicuous appearance of the 4-pin 12V connector which I'm tentatively crediting as the solution to my problem with the ASUS board. I read in another thread while I was researching that this is one of few boards of the era to draw CPU power from the 12V rail, so my assumption is my PSU didn't have enough juice, despite appearances. Thankfully this popped up on eBay last weekend for only a 24-hour listing and I was the only bidder, so for $40 and free shipping, color me quite pleased.

Unfortunately there were some unexpected obstacles to overcome. Despite ample space around the socket, the tension clamp that connects my Zalman cooler to the mounting bracket was too wide and was interfering with the capacitors on the left side. I spent about 10 minutes with a pair of pliers bending the hardware to fit. That in turn increased the clamping pressure on the CPU die which made me a bit squeamish, so I shimmed the mounting holes with a few washers and a slightly longer screw to compensate. Working fine.

12-28-POST_zpsgowh9dny.jpg

I started with the Ti4800 first and got a video error on the initial boot, so I blew out the slot and cleaned all the contacts, but the second time it wouldn't POST, so they aren't playing nice right now. For all I know the card might be dead; I haven't touched it in close to ten years. Thankfully though, third time's the charm and the 9800 Pro had no such issues and I finally got into the BIOS. It detected the 3200+ out of the box, memory looks good and everything seems legit. After turning off all the superfluous extras, I hooked up my IDE drive pre-loaded with XP and booted into glorious nostalgia.

I'll tinker with it some more over the weekend, get it online and get the sound card installed, and maybe play a few rounds of UT. I still have to make a final decision on storage, too. Oh, also! Apparently I managed to misplace one of these drive cage/carriage things over the years. I'll probably be able to figure something out as to where to mount the hard drives, but if any one has one of these laying around that you'd be willing to part with, let me know!

12-28-THING_zpsy4oxrfik.jpg

Reply 14 of 15, by gfh110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick update today since we had a nor'easter hit and "forced" me to take a snow day from work. I haven't settled on hard drives for my RAID setup yet, but I'm itching to get the build to a playable state, so I'm temporarily using a 300GB WD SATA drive that was just sitting around taking up space. First, however, I started work on finalizing the fan wiring and cable management. Overall I'm pretty happy with how 2/3 of the case turned out. The area by the drive bays still needs work, but I'm hoping once I have everything final I can collect all the stray wires in one ugly bundle and maybe cover the works with some plastic flex conduit or something.

IMG_3992_zpsnuntvyod.jpg

IMG_3994_zpsbkxrccin.jpg IMG_3995_zpsqobxcf7w.jpg

I have the SATA drives hanging outside the case for now since they aren't staying in the long run, so it looks messier than it actually is.

Now unfortunately a problem has presented itself. I didn't notice this before, probably because it was pretty damn warm in my area a few weeks ago when I started on this project, but it seems like the fan controller is causing some pretty horrendous noise, I assume by under-volting the fans. I kind of expected this would happen... As I said in the first post, the "controller" looks fairly generic and has no actual direct control capability, only temp and RMP monitoring and rudimentary controls to cycle through the sensors and change from farenheit to celsius. I'd like a controller just because I wanted one as a kid, even though I don't need one on this build, so maybe I'll revisit it in the future. For now I'll leave it in there for monitoring, but the fans will have to be powered the old fashioned way.

Another problem cropped up when installing Windows XP in that it isn't compatible with my SATA controller out of the box; at least the version of XP that I have to install didn't so it was BSOD city. I would have gone with the slipstream method of loading the appropriate drivers, but rather embarrassingly since USB has dominated any storage needs I've had in the last 10 years, I don't have any writable media. So I had too hook up the IDE drive I was previously using and load the drivers onto a floppy, and that ended up working out fine. XP is installed, but not much else and a vanilla Windows desktop seems kind of boring to post pictures of, so I'll come back when I have the expected CPU-Z screenshots and benchmarks.

Reply 15 of 15, by gfh110

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well THIS took a lot longer to finish than I expected...

IMG_4076_zpsgyfnlr5x.jpg

It hasn't been a full month since I last worked on this build, but it has been intermittent what with work and winter just not wanting to let go... But today I can say I'm happy with where the machine is at and I'm actively using it, so barring a few tweaks down the line, I'm calling this build done!

Since I misplaced the second drive bay cage I decided to hold off on my RAID0 plan until I can find a replacement. I'm currently using a no-frills 300GB WD SATA drive running XP Pro SP3. For the most part software and driver installation went fine with the exception of the Catalyst drivers for the 9800 Pro. I started with the latest 10.2 version which seemed to work fine in most games, but would crash 3DMark01 and 03 and, for whatever reason, most Source engine games. Working backwards through many driver sweeping sessions, I eventually landed on version 6.12 as the most compatible for what I have installed.

cpuz%20chip_zpsje2ys3gs.jpg cpuz%20board_zpsa42rkcv0.jpg cpuz%20memory_zpshkkomtan.jpg

With the system finally stable I can get on to the benchmarks! Note that these are all default settings with no overclocking. (I want to get some enjoyment out of the system for a while before potentially melting it down.) The only issue I ran into here was while I was troubleshooting the driver issues I removed one of the 1GB sticks of RAM and put it back in the wrong slot, so I accidentally disabled dual channel on myself. Once I realized that, I fixed it and re-ran all the benchmarks again. Single channel memory knocked about 300 marks off '01 and 25 off '03. I'm mostly running '05 for s&g's at this point.

3DMARK01%2015112_zpspog8gvwg.jpg

3DMARK03%205705_zpsvfyg3bfw.jpg

3DMARK05%202876_zpse5nvj5fu.jpg

So that's where I'm at! Pretty happy with it. Been playing the pants of UT2k4 trying to get my FPS chops back. Other than one day trading out my HDD for the RAID setup I'm not planning on many more enhancements to this build. It's pretty much exactly what I wanted. The only really nagging annoyance is the NB fan which sounds like it's starting to die. It can grind pretty horribly, but a blast of compressed air has been fixing it when it gets too out of hand, but it is recurring.

Not sure what I'm going to build next, but I think some more work space is in order first since I'm now maxed out on my L-desk and I'm not a huge fan of working off the kitchen table. Ikea here I come.

Cheers!