DUDE, show me your Dell!

Showcase your Retro PC / Build logs.

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby appiah4 » 2018-8-09 @ 20:11

wiretap wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
oeuvre wrote:I think GX100 and GX110 had different riser layouts than the previous GX1, GXi, GXa... so you're stuck with PCI on that.


A PCI/ISA riser for the GX100/110 actually does exist, but is apparently very rare.. My search for one continues..

I have a ton of those risers at work since we used the GX100 and GX110 extensively. Next time we do a scrap/recycle day cleanup, I will grab some.


I would be incredibly grateful if you would be so kind as to ship one of them my way.. You have no idea, really.
1989:A500|+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
1992:HIPPO-VL+|DX2-66|8M|GD5428|CT2290|S2
1995:PCI597-1|P133|32M|Trio64|V1|CT3980/2M
1998:S1573S|K6-2/400|64M|RagePro|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
2001:GA-6OXT|PIII-1200|512M|GF3Ti200|MX300
2004:K8V-D|3200+|2G|X1950P|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 2573
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby wiretap » 2018-8-10 @ 18:45

appiah4 wrote:
I would be incredibly grateful if you would be so kind as to ship one of them my way.. You have no idea, really.

Not sure when it will be (possibly months) , but if you need one now, memory4less has the same risers for around $45. (Dell 4224D)
User avatar
wiretap
Member
 
Posts: 166
Joined: 2018-5-17 @ 08:26
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby appiah4 » 2018-8-10 @ 20:40

wiretap wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
I would be incredibly grateful if you would be so kind as to ship one of them my way.. You have no idea, really.

Not sure when it will be (possibly months) , but if you need one now, memory4less has the same risers for around $45. (Dell 4224D)


No, I'm not in a rush; I can wait for a couple of months, I've been waiting for years anyway. Just.. don't forget about me :)
1989:A500|+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
1992:HIPPO-VL+|DX2-66|8M|GD5428|CT2290|S2
1995:PCI597-1|P133|32M|Trio64|V1|CT3980/2M
1998:S1573S|K6-2/400|64M|RagePro|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
2001:GA-6OXT|PIII-1200|512M|GF3Ti200|MX300
2004:K8V-D|3200+|2G|X1950P|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 2573
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby detritus olentus » 2018-8-13 @ 20:43

I finally have a GX1 for my Optiplex pile! (I got locked out of my old account) This was about $10 at a thrift shop on the way home from classes and I couldn't leave it there so I will add it to my hoard. It has a slot 1 Pentium 3 and the coveted ISA riser card but I've only tested it enough to make sure the power supply works. Anyone know why these little low profile guys have 3 IDE plugs on the board? Not really anywhere to add more drives.

Image

Image

Image
Image
User avatar
detritus olentus
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 2018-8-13 @ 20:02
Location: New Jersey

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby Madc0w » 2018-8-13 @ 22:22

detritus olentus wrote: Anyone know why these little low profile guys have 3 IDE plugs on the board? Not really anywhere to add more drives.


Probably because they used the same boards for the other optiplex models, like the mid tower and larger clamshell model.

Very jealous of you. Definitely want to get one of the PIII models like that.
User avatar
Madc0w
Newbie
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 2018-8-03 @ 18:57
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby detritus olentus » 2018-8-13 @ 22:32

Madc0w wrote:Probably because they used the same boards for the other optiplex models, like the mid tower and larger clamshell model.


Ahh good point, seems more obvious in retrospect!
Image
User avatar
detritus olentus
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 2018-8-13 @ 20:02
Location: New Jersey

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby oeuvre » 2018-8-13 @ 22:35

nice find! I wish thrift stores near me had optiplexes like that.

also dig your Windows Me decals
HP Elite 8300 CMT i7 3770, 8GB, GTX745, SSD + 2xHD, XP/7/macOS 10.13
i7 9700K, 32GB, MSI GTX1060, NVMe SSD + HD, Windows 10
Image
User avatar
oeuvre
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1991
Joined: 2015-3-31 @ 13:31
Location: USA

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby detritus olentus » 2018-8-13 @ 22:39

oeuvre wrote:nice find! I wish thrift stores near me had optiplexes like that.

also dig your Windows Me decals


Thanks! I think Millennium Edition needs a little more love, I enjoy using it anyhow. Most of the thrift shops around me seem to just send the stuff right to recycle so this is the first time I've found something good other than the occasional overpriced windows 95 laptop.
Image
User avatar
detritus olentus
Newbie
 
Posts: 16
Joined: 2018-8-13 @ 20:02
Location: New Jersey

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby Anonymous Coward » 2018-8-16 @ 06:35

Somebody please fix the thread title. It should be: "DUDE, show me your Dell!"
Will the highways on the internets become more few?
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium
User avatar
Anonymous Coward
l33t
 
Posts: 2862
Joined: 2008-3-20 @ 05:37
Location: Shandong, China

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby oeuvre » 2018-8-16 @ 14:55

Also here's an Optiplex GXa https://imgur.com/a/iNWC3E2
HP Elite 8300 CMT i7 3770, 8GB, GTX745, SSD + 2xHD, XP/7/macOS 10.13
i7 9700K, 32GB, MSI GTX1060, NVMe SSD + HD, Windows 10
Image
User avatar
oeuvre
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1991
Joined: 2015-3-31 @ 13:31
Location: USA

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby Stiletto » 2018-8-16 @ 18:16

Anonymous Coward wrote:Somebody please fix the thread title. It should be: "DUDE, show me your Dell!"


Done! :lol:
"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto
User avatar
Stiletto
l33t
 
Posts: 4133
Joined: 2002-7-01 @ 21:57

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby appiah4 » 2018-8-17 @ 05:03

detritus olentus wrote:I finally have a GX1 for my Optiplex pile! (I got locked out of my old account) This was about $10 at a thrift shop on the way home from classes and I couldn't leave it there so I will add it to my hoard. It has a slot 1 Pentium 3 and the coveted ISA riser card but I've only tested it enough to make sure the power supply works. Anyone know why these little low profile guys have 3 IDE plugs on the board? Not really anywhere to add more drives.


The GX1 ISA riser is actually rather common, I have one (accidentally bought). The GX100/GX110 one is rather rare.
1989:A500|+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
1992:HIPPO-VL+|DX2-66|8M|GD5428|CT2290|S2
1995:PCI597-1|P133|32M|Trio64|V1|CT3980/2M
1998:S1573S|K6-2/400|64M|RagePro|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
2001:GA-6OXT|PIII-1200|512M|GF3Ti200|MX300
2004:K8V-D|3200+|2G|X1950P|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 2573
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby Anonymous Coward » 2018-8-17 @ 07:07

Stiletto wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:Somebody please fix the thread title. It should be: "DUDE, show me your Dell!"


Done! :lol:


Much better!
Will the highways on the internets become more few?
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium
User avatar
Anonymous Coward
l33t
 
Posts: 2862
Joined: 2008-3-20 @ 05:37
Location: Shandong, China

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby gdjacobs » 2018-8-17 @ 07:14

Image

Please, send Dell Guy away. Next thing you know, we'll have the Apple spokespeople show up.
User avatar
gdjacobs
l33t++
 
Posts: 5710
Joined: 2015-11-03 @ 05:51
Location: The Great White North

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby oeuvre » 2018-8-17 @ 13:09

Didn't he leave due to smoking marijuana?
HP Elite 8300 CMT i7 3770, 8GB, GTX745, SSD + 2xHD, XP/7/macOS 10.13
i7 9700K, 32GB, MSI GTX1060, NVMe SSD + HD, Windows 10
Image
User avatar
oeuvre
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1991
Joined: 2015-3-31 @ 13:31
Location: USA

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby appiah4 » 2018-8-17 @ 13:32

I get the feeling there is an interesting story behind this creepy blond guy?
1989:A500|+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
1992:HIPPO-VL+|DX2-66|8M|GD5428|CT2290|S2
1995:PCI597-1|P133|32M|Trio64|V1|CT3980/2M
1998:S1573S|K6-2/400|64M|RagePro|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
2001:GA-6OXT|PIII-1200|512M|GF3Ti200|MX300
2004:K8V-D|3200+|2G|X1950P|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 2573
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby Stiletto » 2018-8-17 @ 16:45

appiah4 wrote:I get the feeling there is an interesting story behind this creepy blond guy?


US advertising campaign for Dell back in the early 00's featured a college-age actor whose character "Steve" was more than a bit unintentionally precociously smarmy and annoying. One of those cases of shooting for "trying to be hip" but landing in the weeds. Anyhow, the campaign ran for three years and the character was used in over two dozen different commercials, with both the character and his catchphrase "Dude, you're gettin' a Dell!" becoming reasonably known due to market saturation. Around the time Dell phased out the campaign in favor for a new advertising campaign (as most companies do), the actor was busted for possession of marijuana. Some people saw that as "was fired by Dell due to his marijuana charges" and that's effectively also true, but the gears were in motion to phase him out before that.

Ads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJxTHMygpDY
Snopes: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dude- ... -the-boot/
Behind The Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mLGJsxhCHk
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Curtis_(actor)
"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto
User avatar
Stiletto
l33t
 
Posts: 4133
Joined: 2002-7-01 @ 21:57

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby PC Hoarder Patrol » 2018-11-05 @ 20:06

Found these, digging thru some old papers - coaster & (case?) sticker.

dellstuff.jpg
User avatar
PC Hoarder Patrol
Member
 
Posts: 146
Joined: 2018-3-04 @ 19:59

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby appiah4 » 2018-11-05 @ 20:18

My Dell GX110 no longer POSTs all of a sudden as of today.. No beeps, no video, nothing. Green light on the motherboard, fans turn for a second, then stop.. Any ideas? I had swapped the P3 1000 on it with its original P3 733 (which was working when I took it out) so maybe the CPU change caused it, but I doubt that..
1989:A500|+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
1992:HIPPO-VL+|DX2-66|8M|GD5428|CT2290|S2
1995:PCI597-1|P133|32M|Trio64|V1|CT3980/2M
1998:S1573S|K6-2/400|64M|RagePro|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
2001:GA-6OXT|PIII-1200|512M|GF3Ti200|MX300
2004:K8V-D|3200+|2G|X1950P|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 2573
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: DUDE, show me your Dell!

Postby KCompRoom2000 » 2018-11-05 @ 22:22

appiah4 wrote:My Dell GX110 no longer POSTs all of a sudden as of today.. No beeps, no video, nothing. Green light on the motherboard, fans turn for a second, then stop.. Any ideas? I had swapped the P3 1000 on it with its original P3 733 (which was working when I took it out) so maybe the CPU change caused it, but I doubt that..

Is it possible that the power supply has died or the capacitors have gone bad? Those are just two quick guesses for the cause of a problem like this.

Most Dell computers have a sequence of lights on the I/O plate, those are called diagnostic lights, maybe check the back to see what the light sequence is and find the corresponding cause on that webpage I've linked to?
1988-96:SL-54U5|P233MMX|64MB|Virge325|YMF719-S
1995-98:P2B-VE|C433|192MB|Rage Pro|Voodoo2|CT4500/32M
1998-01:GX150MT|PIII-S 1400|384MB|GF4Ti4200|CT4670
2000-05:A8V|A64 3700+|2GB|RadeonX800
User avatar
KCompRoom2000
Oldbie
 
Posts: 645
Joined: 2017-5-24 @ 22:38
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

PreviousNext

Return to System Specs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest