VOGONS

First post, by SnipeUout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's Turbo time!!

I remember back when I first saw DOS and Windows 3.0, it was strange because my dad at the time had Mac computers. I was shocked to find out that most PC's didn't have a GUI. I felt like they were really alien and really empty with little to offer. Yet I became quickly envious of the games. Mainly the flight simulators.

Now I am building my own dream early 90's PC. I am just starting to shop for parts and for now, all I can share is my dream specs.

First required parts.

1) A socket 3 board with CR2032 battery and 3V support. Other obvious requirements are turbo, MHz clock and lock feature with the mobo. VLB would be nice if I could find the cards, but I will be happy with a PCI board.

2) The targeted CPU is a Cyrix 5x86-GP100(133) if I can't find one, I will settle on an Intel DX4. I don't want the AMD as I have read it's not very flexible with declocking.

3) A desktop AT Case with all bells and whistles and PSU.

Secondary required parts.

1) 64 MB of fast ram.
2) A period correct VLB or PCI video card.
3) A period correct AWE or SB.
4) 1024K of 15ns cashe.
5) A SCSI hard drive.
6) 3.5 floppy and 2x CD-ROM

Just for fun.

1) A voodoo 1. I know it wont work well but it would be cool.

Retro Rig: PIII 1Ghz (SL4KL), P3B-F 1.04, Crucial 512Mb, Geforce4 TI4600, SATAII Raptor, AWE64 GOLD, STB Voodoo 2… TBC

Reply 2 of 4, by SnipeUout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote:

Try to find a board with PS/2 mouse connector.
Optical mice are not period correct, but make much more fun playing that old games.

Never having owned at 486 or socket 3, if I find a PS/2 version does it come with two ports for both a keyboard and mouse?

Retro Rig: PIII 1Ghz (SL4KL), P3B-F 1.04, Crucial 512Mb, Geforce4 TI4600, SATAII Raptor, AWE64 GOLD, STB Voodoo 2… TBC

Reply 3 of 4, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SnipeUout wrote:

Never having owned at 486 or socket 3, if I find a PS/2 version does it come with two ports for both a keyboard and mouse?

No. The port is just for a mouse. For keyboards there are passive adapters that work on every mainboard.

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some 486's will come with 2 PS2 ports, one for the mouse and one for the keyboard.
but the keyboard doesn't really matter as even if it is a older DIN connecter connecting PS2 keyboards is easy.
Finding a seral mouse that works with ps2 isn't