VOGONS

First post, by Keith1212

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I made a post about this build originally, but have updated it drastically since.

Specs:
Mobo: Asus P2B
Processor: Intel Pentium 450 MMX
Ram: 400mb
GFX Card: 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000
Sound Card: Soundblaster Live! with Live Drive
HDD: Maxtor 120gb

Here's the original pic before I put it together.
G1niZQ6.png

And here it was once it was complete.
A1ulFH2.jpg

So since the original build I have updated a few things. First off I did a bit of cable management and added the round ide cables. Still not as clean as I'd like, but not terrible. I also changed out the front fan for a much quiter Noctua. Then I added a Creative 6X DVD rom for fun. I found a Zip 100 drive as well and shoved that in. And the biggest upgrade was a Gateway VX1120 Monitor. Which is a 22" Mitsubishi Diamontron and looks amazing! And as you can tell I removed the 5 1/4 drive since I didn't use it much as well as the GoTek floppy emulator which was used even less in this build.
EasTCH9.jpg
NjAcAqU.jpg
u2IjKuZ.jpg
HiWNrJ0.jpg
f5xP8nX.jpg
MkahEvj.jpg
BYvyff8.jpg

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do viewing everyone elses builds!

Commodore PC-10
NEC 8088 Processor - 8087 Math CoPro - 640k Ram - DOS 3.3
IBM Aptiva 2144-M51
Socket 7 Pentium 166MHz MMX - 128MB Ram - Voodoo 1 - Windows 95
Win 98 Desktop
Asus P2b Mobo - Slot 1 Pentium 2 450 MMX - 400mb Ram - Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 2 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lovely build (except the remark about the cables).

The location of the power/sleep/wake keys on the keyboard is a complete disaster, though. They are just begging to be pressed accidentally, so I hope you can disable them. 😀

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Its a very nice build but what I would do is
Ditch the voodoo 3 and get
2x Voodoo 2 (creative branded)
1x FX5900 (creative branded) for 2d and D3D
1x ISA SoundBlaster (creative branded) for Dos sound
Creative speakers.

..you may see what I'm getting at here 😉

Seriously though its a real nice build (and room) and the 3 creative branded 5.25 devices look good together

Reply 5 of 9, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Very nice and clean. I would add a network card and tp-link WiFi bridge adapter for wireless networking.

On Win9x, Ralink-based adapters are the best I've found, because you can get WPA2 working. Do you know any TP-Link adapters that use Ralink chips?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 9, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have an old router with wireless N, DD-WRT it and set it up as a client bridge... connect it to your primary WiFi network and plug it in via ethernet to your retro desktop(s).

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 7 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With the TP-link Wifi extender you just connect it to your computer Ethernet card. And register the extender with your Wifi router.
Really easy to setup and reliable. This is a simple Wifi solution for old computers. PC or Mac.

Attachments

• tplink.jpg
    Filename
    tplink.jpg
    File size
    74.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

If you have an old router with wireless N, DD-WRT it and set it up as a client bridge... connect it to your primary WiFi network and plug it in via ethernet to your retro desktop(s).

This. Dd-wrt and Open-wrt are your friends for this. There are also several cheap chinese wifi bridge adaptors on alirxpress.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9 of 9, by Keith1212

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:

Nice PC & room 😎

I guess I would try to tidy up the cables more, though; having them all over the RAM and CPU cooler can't be great for thermals.

Thanks and I agree the cables still need a lot of work.

dr_st wrote:

Lovely build (except the remark about the cables).

The location of the power/sleep/wake keys on the keyboard is a complete disaster, though. They are just begging to be pressed accidentally, so I hope you can disable them. 😀

Thank you. I don't think the buttons work since the keyboard is more set for Win xp. I'll have to see to make sure.

chinny22 wrote:
Its a very nice build but what I would do is Ditch the voodoo 3 and get 2x Voodoo 2 (creative branded) 1x FX5900 (creative brand […]
Show full quote

Its a very nice build but what I would do is
Ditch the voodoo 3 and get
2x Voodoo 2 (creative branded)
1x FX5900 (creative branded) for 2d and D3D
1x ISA SoundBlaster (creative branded) for Dos sound
Creative speakers.

..you may see what I'm getting at here 😉

Seriously though its a real nice build (and room) and the 3 creative branded 5.25 devices look good together

Thanks! and I do enjoy the creative hardware so if I can acquire it I will build it haha.

Intel486dx33 wrote:

Very nice and clean. I would add a network card and tp-link WiFi bridge adapter for wireless networking.

Good idea I have plenty of 10/100 3COM pci cards laying around as well as a WiFi Ap Repeater that ethernet can plug in to for LAN and WAN LAN. So that will be fun.

Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas!

Commodore PC-10
NEC 8088 Processor - 8087 Math CoPro - 640k Ram - DOS 3.3
IBM Aptiva 2144-M51
Socket 7 Pentium 166MHz MMX - 128MB Ram - Voodoo 1 - Windows 95
Win 98 Desktop
Asus P2b Mobo - Slot 1 Pentium 2 450 MMX - 400mb Ram - Voodoo 3 3000