VOGONS

Toshiba T4900CT

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 65, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, good job and congratulations on getting this laptop to work!

Are you happy with the screen? How is the speaker/sound on this one? Did you run any games yet?

Reply 41 of 65, by Arson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
henryVK wrote:

Well, good job and congratulations on getting this laptop to work!

Are you happy with the screen? How is the speaker/sound on this one? Did you run any games yet?

Thanks! I can view everything without any issues. It's more appearance then functionality. Speaker and sound is what can be expected. And yup! A dos game version of Mario. Will be posting photos on the next post.

Reply 44 of 65, by Arson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will eventually replace the screen with a compatible one, get a replacement floppy cable, and somehow fix the accu-touch. Now, I don't want to make it factory perfect, but with just enough upgrades that'll satisfy me.

Reply 46 of 65, by Arson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Arson wrote:

I have IE 5.5 running on the system and works just fine. I also ordered a serial mouse and a D-link dfe-690TXD to use wired ethernet to access the internet and my home network.

The d-link wouldn't fit in the laptop. Was very strange. I will have to find another. Serial mouse works great.

Reply 47 of 65, by Arson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Arson wrote:
Arson wrote:

I have IE 5.5 running on the system and works just fine. I also ordered a serial mouse and a D-link dfe-690TXD to use wired ethernet to access the internet and my home network.

The d-link wouldn't fit in the laptop. Was very strange. I will have to find another. Serial mouse works great.

It was due to the fact that it was a "cardbus" type PCMCIA card. Took several purchases before I realized it. 16bit PCMCIA cards work just fine. Couldn't find a wireless card that worked on the laptop so i bought a "Linksys EtherFast Laptop 10/100 + 56K Modem PC Card" which has work nicely. I have connected to the internet successfully as well as gain access to my network.

I bought a Toshiba Satellite Pro T2450CT and dismantled it. Although the floppy drive cable for the T4900CT is compatible with the T2450CT, it is not shaped the same. Wasted $40 bucks for nothing. Still not giving up hope!

Reply 49 of 65, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had both the 4900CT and a 2450CT back in the day. I liked the T2450CT better - DOS compatible sound, nice (if a little dim) screen. Onboard SCSI was cool, though I don't think I every actually used it.

Reply 50 of 65, by Arson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr.ido wrote:

I had both the 4900CT and a 2450CT back in the day. I liked the T2450CT better - DOS compatible sound, nice (if a little dim) screen. Onboard SCSI was cool, though I don't think I every actually used it.

It wasn't my cuppa tea when i used it. 😜

Reply 51 of 65, by Arson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On ebay, a seller was selling another T4900ct for parts and I went ahead and bought it. Having experience with disassembling this model since i bought this other, i have taken out all the parts. I replaced the screen with another so it no longer has those weird burn marks on the screen. I have also replaced the keyboard and mouse wiring which got the accutouch working like it should. It also came with a replacement floppy zif cable most of all. I am very happy with it.

Reply 52 of 65, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a great laptop. I got one several years ago and actually did a video on it (if you watched the just-about-only T4900CT video on youtube - that one is mine). I added a few PCMCIA cards to mine - one for network connectivity and the other to read SD cards. I even found a brand-new keyboard for it. For the hard drive, I didn't mess with any adapters - I just used a straight-up IDE solid state hard drive (8 GB). Mine came with an aftermarket power supply but I ended up replacing it with a genuine one by Toshiba. With both supplies I had the same problem as you - kind of wiggly at the connection. My floppy drive doesn't work and I'm not sure I'll ever mess around with replacing it.

Also glad to see you located a 32 MB memory card. Just curious where you found it and exactly what brand it is. I had a heck of a time finding mine.

The screen on this works perfect for retro gaming too with its 640x480 native resolution. That, combined with the 75 MHZ Pentium I processor, makes this laptop kind of in the sweet spot for retro games.

Reply 53 of 65, by Arson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bmwsvsu wrote:

This is a great laptop. For the hard drive, I didn't mess with any adapters - I just used a straight-up IDE solid state hard drive (8 GB). Also glad to see you located a 32 MB memory card. Just curious where you found it and exactly what brand it is. I had a heck of a time finding mine.

I found the 32mB memory card from eBay. It was the kingston ktt-4800/32 memory card. Recall the brand of your sad? I used a credit to ide adapter to work and it has really well.

Reply 54 of 65, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which particular sound card does this laptop use? I see one for sale on another site that's functional with a docking station and I cannot find any details about the sound card.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 58 of 65, by DJA9700

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Arson wrote on 2018-09-20, 08:20:

I have ordered a CC style memory card for the laptop but it's located in Israel so it's going to take a few weeks to get here. The toshiba power brick should be here sometime next week. Hoping that the issue will be with the adjustable power cord and not the laptop power port itself.

Are you still interested in a (Toshiba T-4900-CT

Reply 59 of 65, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Amazing adventure. Congratulations!

I have a busted Acer Extensa 710T and I hope one day I can fix it like you did with your Toshiba. The Acer was my first ever laptop and it had Win95.

So far, from what I can see... your Toshiba is now factory perfect? No issues? Hows the experience now in 2020, with Win95 and internet, networking, games, and trivial tasks? Tell us! Heheh

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!