VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is getting out of hand- now there are two of them!

I'm not sorry for that. Anyways, this is a completely separate build from my Pentium III Katmai gaming build. This was, in fact, the machine that inspired this project in the first place; I got this machine in February 2018, and wanted to make a gaming PC out of it, which the motherboard certainly wasn't built for. It's a Biostar M6TWL, which has everything but networking integrated (video, sound, etc.)- it, however, only has PCI slots. No AGP, or even ISA support. I feel like this was a bogg standard home/office PC motherboard, intended for use with Microsoft Excel and browsing the many obscure websites that were around in '99. As such, its specs reflect this; 128MB RAM @100MHz (the motherboard supports 133MHz, but the CPU doesn't), the integrated video, and the integrated audio. The only expansion I've added is the 3COM Network card I threw in there.

I got this motherboard and CPU, AND RAM with this case, when the auction people said that it was apparently dead. The PSU had just popped, I figure. It had been sitting under a desk, collecting dust in an obscure auction house since 2000, running the software for their snackbar (I cleaned it off, but it literally had "snack" written on top of it in red Sharpie- probably written on there before I was born, to be fair). The dust in it when I got it was atrocious, but I cleaned the case and mobo up. This is the first time I've fully used this mobo, seeing as I wanted a gaming PC and this motherboard certainly wasn't going to cut it, but now that I have one, I do have some interest in reviving it as a home/office PC.

I might try and run a few games on it too, just to stress it a little. I think GLQuake and Quake 2 should be okay on it, as it's practically an Intel i740 integrated onto the motherboard, albeit using the much slower system RAM.

[EDIT]

Added some better pictures.

The yellowing on this case is quite significant, again, it wasn't all that well taken care of. I plan to get some hair-bleaching cream, the stuff that has like 70% hydrogen peroxide in it, and smear it over the front panel and sides and top of the case, as the whole outside except for the back and bottom is white, or what used to be white, plastic. I have a UV LED strip that my mom bought to grow some plants indoors, so I don't even have to have it be a sunny day or anything, and that UV lamp is quite powerful.

I may or may not get a PCI based 3D accelerator for it eventually, what do you think? Should I keep it as it is, or try and make a second competent computer for LAN gaming with the Latitude C600 and the PIII Katmai build?

Attachments

• IMG_20181212_164348.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20181212_164348.jpg
    File size
    711.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_20181212_164425.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20181212_164425.jpg
    File size
    823.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_20181212_010244.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20181212_010244.jpg
    File size
    644.51 KiB
    Views
    File license

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 7, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a couple swollen caps on your board. You really ought to look at a possible swapout or repair of your board.

As this board is kinda limited, this might be a good opportunity to swap it out with a board that can offer your build more flexibility?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 7, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do have an old Gateway Tabor III laying around, but it's an OEM board, and I also don't want the poor mobo in a case like.. that. I don't hate that case, but I really dislike the cooling design, or, lack thereof. I'm going to assume those swollen caps are the reason why zero sound cards will work. Ouch. Here's that thread:

Biostar M6TWL Refuses to Work With any Sound Card

I knew that the bad caps might have been the case, but I really was hoping that the caps weren't the cause. I can't solder at all. I was sort of denying it up until this point, but I figure what's done is done. I guess the caps there have to do with how the PCI bus communicates with the system or something, because neither the integrated audio, nor the external sound card I tried, worked. I never got the chance to try out the 3COM card I had installed, but I think it's safe to say that this thing's not going to be running until I can solder.

As for it being limited, that was sort of the point. I have the system on the right in the last picture, a PIII Katmai build that uses an Intel SE440BX-2 motherboard. It's got two ISA slots (one of them being a combo ISA/PCI slot where only one can be used in that slot at a time), an AGP slot, and four PCI slots, and possibly an AMR(?) slot, at least, I think that's what it's called. It's the slot right above the first PCI slot in the second picture.

Anyways, I had wanted a system based around being sort of a lower end/home PC, but a Pentium III really doesn't fit that bill at the end of the day. A K6 or K6-2 build would fare much better in that aspect. I'll probably swap that mobo out for the Tabor III, that's if I can find more screws for the brass standoffs, as I'm very low on standard case screws, let alone the weird tiny-threaded ones that the brass standoffs often use. I might even get a new Super Socket 7 motherboard off of eBay at some point, and install something like a K6-2 in it, sort of as a build to oppose the PIII 500 machine I have. That case did have an Intel Pentium III sticker, but I removed it because it was warped beyond repair. So really, I can install any processor I want in it, unlike the case on the left. I certainly am not going to remove that Intel Inside sticker, so it's gotta stick with 'Intel Inside'. Though, that case originally held a Pentium 200MMX system, but oh well.

I'll see about what I can do. I also really need to retrobrite that case. It needs it bad, compared to my PIII Katmai rig, though it probably needs some retrobrite treatment too. That CD drive on the bottom seriously needs it; not sure how the CD drive got that badly yellowed while the rest of the case didn't get it that bad.

Where am I?

Reply 3 of 7, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
athlon-power wrote:

Anyways, I had wanted a system based around being sort of a lower end/home PC, but a Pentium III really doesn't fit that bill at the end of the day. A K6 or K6-2 build would fare much better in that aspect. ...

I would suggest a Mendocino Celeron in Slot 1 or Socket 370 form for the existing MB as an alternative... but those caps definitely should be replaced first.

Reply 4 of 7, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:

I would suggest a Mendocino Celeron in Slot 1 or Socket 370 form for the existing MB as an alternative... but those caps definitely should be replaced first.

I can't solder, at all, and not only that, but I don't own any equipment to do anything like that whatsoever. I am, however, saving the motherboard; I've put it in a mobo-sized anti-static bag, and put it into an old empty motherboard box I had laying around. I'll keep it there until the time comes to where I can try and replace those. I'll just have to look at the sides and search for what specific voltage, rating, or whatever capacitors use online.

Curiously, this is also the first motherboard I have ever seen with both Socket 370 and Slot 1 processor sockets on the same board. They can't both be used at once, there's a little jumper where pins 1-2 direct the PC to use the Slot 1 socket and pins 2-3 switch it to the more traditional socket.

I think I'll throw the Tabor III in there, and put the old i740 AGP card I have laying around in there, too. The motherboard doesn't come with integrated video, so that's better than nothing. I'll also ironically end up using the same Crystal 4281 PCI card I had tried with the Biostar mobo to get some semblance of functioning audio out of it.

Where am I?

Reply 5 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you made it a glide gaming either voodoo 1/2 paired with a 2d card or single PCI voodoo 3 or above you wouldn't miss the lack of AGP.
(once its repaired that is)

Reply 6 of 7, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had thought of getting a VooDoo 2 or something to that atone, but it really wouldn't make much sense to get such an expensive (at the time) card for such a low-end motherboard. Granted, it's not the worst motherboard in the world, but it just doesn't seem to cut something like that. Maybe you do have a point though, if a VooDoo 3 PCI was available for somewhat cheap at the time.

I'm not going to be resuming this project for a very, very long time most likely. Until I can get soldering equipment, let alone the specific capacitors it needs, it'll have to remain in the box I put it in.

Where am I?

Reply 7 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
athlon-power wrote:

I had thought of getting a VooDoo 2 or something to that atone, but it really wouldn't make much sense to get such an expensive (at the time) card for such a low-end motherboard. Granted, it's not the worst motherboard in the world, but it just doesn't seem to cut something like that. Maybe you do have a point though, if a VooDoo 3 PCI was available for somewhat cheap at the time.

I'm not going to be resuming this project for a very, very long time most likely. Until I can get soldering equipment, let alone the specific capacitors it needs, it'll have to remain in the box I put it in.

There are relatively less expensive PCI 3D accelerator options you can use in a system like this; OEM TNT and TNT2/M64 PCI cards like the ones from Compaq and Dell computers are one such option. There are also a lot of PCI Savage4 LT PCI OEM cards floating around that I see regularly. A Matrox G450 PCI would be rarer than the lot above but a much better choice overall. If you find PCI versions of full Savage4, TNT2 (Pro), Rage 128 (Pro), GeForce 2 MX400 for a decent price, get one. Those are much rarer in my experience.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.