VOGONS

First post, by Zack_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

New member here! Happy to be a part of this great forum!

This is a laptop I got recently that I had been wanting for a very long time. It has also quickly become one of my new favorite Pentium III laptops (along with me Dell Inspiron 8000/8100s).

IMG_4485.jpg
Filename
IMG_4485.jpg
File size
147 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_4488.jpg
Filename
IMG_4488.jpg
File size
1.14 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_4492.jpg
Filename
IMG_4492.jpg
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_4493.jpg
Filename
IMG_4493.jpg
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license

This is one of the fully-rugged military-spec models, meaning that the entire outer case is magnesium. The only case part that isn't magnesium is the palm rest, which is made out of a very strong, glass fiber reinforced plastic! It's VERY strong.

I knew this thing would make a great mobile Windows 98/2000 machine, because unlike most old laptops, you don't have to worry about the fragility of this one. My main concern in traveling with an old laptop is too much weight getting on top of the unit, which usually results in a broken LCD panel. That's not an issue here!

One of the coolest features about this machine is the touchscreen! Yep, touchscreen on a Pentium III laptop! And the amazing thing about it is that it actually works very well once you get the hang of it. It does require more pressure to operate than a modern touchscreen, but that is to be expected.

Mine also has the nicer-to-type-on, but less-water-proof keyboard. They offered an optional rubber keyboard on these that's just nasty to type on from what I've heard. The keyboard that mine has is very nice, and I love typing on it.

The trackpad on this laptop is quite interesting, because it actually works with pressure. This one done so the trackpad could be used while you were wearing gloves. The unfortunate side-affect of this is that the trackpad overall doesn't work as well as a normal one, but I am staring to get used to it. It's a small trade-off in my opinion to have an old laptop that is this durable! And having a nice touch screen makes it even less of an issue.

Here are the specs of this laptop;

500MHz Pentium III (I think it is a Coppermine, but I haven't found out for sure yet)

192MB of RAM (can be expanded ti 320MB; I'll probably do that eventually)

60GB hard drive (I installed this; didn't have a hard drive at all when I got it)

Silicone Motion LynxEM graphics with 4MB of VRAM (according to DXDiag)

SVGA 800 x 600 12.1" Touchscreen LCD

Probably nothing too spectacular, but I love this little ToughBook! I did also try Half Life on it, and that ran great.

Also, I'm running a Windows 98/2000 dual-boot on this machine, which are the best two OSes for this thing in my opinion. It could technically run XP, but since I have a Dell Inspiron 8100 and 8200, there would be no point in me running XP on this. And Windows XP on an 800 x 600 display is a little cramped too. IMO you really need at least 1024 x 768 for XP.

I should also mention that this entire post is being typed up on this ToughBook, using K-Meleon 74 under Windows 2000!

That's all for now. Let me know what you think of this ToughBook! And also, what are your favorite Pentium III era laptops? I'd love to hear about which one you all like and why.

Starting Windows 95. . .

Reply 1 of 8, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've always been intrigued by the Panasonic Toughbooks - I've never owned one though.

Nice that it has 4MB of VRAM - most integrated chips I've seen from that era only have 1MB. Also, that is the highest-end CPU available for that particular model - most come with Pentium II's.

Looks like you figured out how to get the most out of that one. Only thing I'd do if it were mine is clone that installation over to a 32 GB IDE solid state hard drive and replace that mechanical drive. Would probably cut your boot time in half.

Quick question also on K-Meleon - does it run fine on a vanilla installation (as in, no special stuff installed beyond that of SP4) of Windows 2000? One of the places where I do work for still has a W2K PC in operation and it is becoming all but unusable on the internet since Firefox 12 is virtually useless on today's internet.

Reply 2 of 8, by Zack_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I'm *pretty* sure that it has 4MB of VRAM; that's what DXDiag says anyways (which isn't always accurate).

Yeah, this is the Mk4 version of the CF-27 which was the last and most powerful CF-27 made. I would like the get a Mk1 (the Pentium MMX variant) at some point to run Windows 95 on.

I have considered a solid state drive, but I do like my mechanical drives. And the drive I used is a good bit newer than the machine is, so It's a pretty fast drive for this laptop.

I don't think k-meleon it works on just SP4. I'm pretty sure I read that you have to have the unofficial hot-fix, which I do have installed. I actually haven't tried it without the hot-fix though.

Starting Windows 95. . .

Reply 3 of 8, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those Toughbooks sure do look rugged. I still somehow can't help thinking nothing can get much more durable than an IBM ThinkPad though, but the Toughbook really should be 😀
Pretty cool specs for a retro, but still usable, laptop. I mean, you could use that for a lot of tasks out and about, where its ruggedness might actually come in handy.

Actually, you should get a silver and black mini-umbrella and make a fake "portable satellite dish" by attaching a USB cable to it, just so that you can look like you're some kind of secret agent out of movies.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 8, by Zack_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, as the owner of quite a few vintage ThinkPads, I can definitely say that this is considerably more rugged than one. Not to take away from ThinkPads though, because they are great too!

You really have to hold one to fully grasp just how rugged they are.

I definitely agree that this could still be a useful machine.

Yeah, that’d definitely get me some looks! 😀

Starting Windows 95. . .

Reply 5 of 8, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pretty sure it has a Neomagic MagicGraph 256AV for a graphics card. I have a CF-27 too somewhere, if you need drivers, give out a shout, I still have them on my drive, but I cant find the website anymore I grabbed them all from that I wanted to link you to.

EDIT: nvm, it seems the PIII-500 machines do indeed have a Silicone Graphics chip. My model, the PII-300 has the Neomagic MagicGraph 256AV

Reply 6 of 8, by Zack_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That’s the older model CF-27s that have the Neomagic. The Mk4 that I have has a Silicon Motion LynxEM.

There were 4 revisions of the CF-27.

Thanks for the offer on the drivers, but I was actually able to find them all of a lot of searching 😀

Starting Windows 95. . .