VOGONS

First post, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While this PC isn't technically complete, it's only missing one piece (sound card), so I figured that I might as well document it here.

It's an old IBM PC, post-PS/2 era, which is in reality about the same as any other old 486 clone, as far as I can tell. It came with PC-DOS and Windows 3.1, and had files and programs indicating that it was used in an automotive shop. It was specifically used in the garage itself, because when I got it, the entire inside of the case, the motherboard, the RAM, CPU, PSU, everything, had black chemical-smelling dust all over it. It looked like Hell, and while it doesn't look great now, I think it definitely beats what it looked like before.

I figure that when the bright minds over at the aforementioned automotive shop bought the thing, they took off the L2 cache from the custom order form. I'm guessing they thought it costed extra money and just ordered the PC without any cache- same goes for the sound card. Of course, in saving that US$100-US$200 (I have no idea how expensive the stuff was back then), they reduced performance in even Windows by an unholy margin. I had to get the 256KB of cache myself on eBay, and I also had to give it a new IDE CD-ROM drive as the old SCSI one in it failed at some point before I got it. The original ~500MB HDD works, but I can't remember the exact size of it. Might have been 540MB. Anyways, it's what I'm using for now until it dies. When I got it, it had 12MB of RAM, upgraded from the original 8MB it probably came with, though it may have come with 12MB of RAM seeing as both RAM sticks have IBM part numbers and branding on them. I like to think that those geniuses realized that it was too slow and so tried upgrading the RAM to make it "go fast." It didn't work very well.

I'll grab some pictures later on, right now I'm going to install DOS/Win 3.1 and see how well it does now that this thing finally has some friggin cache.

Where am I?

Reply 1 of 8, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
20190822_150647_1.jpg
Filename
20190822_150647_1.jpg
File size
471.39 KiB
Views
File comment
The 486 DX2-66 unit itself. I managed to try to repair the front panel a bit and clean it up, as it and the case itself were coated in an inordinate amount of black dust. It did not have the 5.25" bay blank, nor did it have the blank for the little slot beside the 3.5" FDD. I had to cut up and sand down an old 5.25" bay blank until a piece of it fit in that slot properly, so I sort of "replaced," that little cover. Also, to the far right, you can see the failed 2008 build I attempted a while back. Since I realized it wouldn't interact with the CPU right, it has sort of just sat there, doing nothing.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20190822_150720_1.jpg
Filename
20190822_150720_1.jpg
File size
651.09 KiB
Views
File comment
Even though the cable management looks messy, I have all of the cables routed up and away from a little airflow channel that is created when you install a front panel fan. The area from the CPU to the rear air intake of the PSU is all completely free of cables, so not only does the PSU get fresh, active-flowing air, but the CPU also gets airflow over the heatsink, something that old DX2-66 could do with. While it isn't strictly required, I want to give both the CPU and PSU an easier time with cooling, due to their age.
File license
20190822_150753.jpg
Filename
20190822_150753.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File comment
The DX2-66 with the integrated heatsink is poking out of the corner there. I didn't want to remove the ISA backplane because it is held rigid with a metal arm that connects to the 3.5" HDD bay, meaning that I would need to unplug the hard drive and undo some of the cable management creating the airflow channel I took 30-45 minutes to create. The cache is also visible here, so I finally have something that acts less like a 486SX and more like something that acts like a true 486DX.
File license

Where am I?

Reply 2 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
athlon-power wrote:
The attachment 20190822_150647_1.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20190822_150720_1.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20190822_150753.jpg is no longer available

My IBM PS/1 486dx-50 originally came with a Sound Blaster 16 sound card
4mb or ram upgradeable to 64mb ( 4 x 16mb ). Possibly upgradeable to 128mb ( 4 x 32mb ) Fast Page Mode RAM. Non-parity, 72-pin.
and a 540mb hard-drive.

I have an Onboard Cirrus Logic 5428 graphics chip which is pretty good for it's time.
Only the Cirrus Logic 5429 was a little better but not much.
So No need to add a VLB Video card if you have the 5426 or 5428.

For Windows 3x / DOS, 16mb of ram is good enough.
For Windows 95 32mb of ram should be good enough.

I upgraded my CPU with and Intel 486dx4-100 Overdrive CPU.
But 66mhz is good enough for DOS/Win3x

Attachments

Reply 3 of 8, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:
My IBM PS/1 486dx-50 originally came with a Sound Blaster 16 sound card 4mb or ram upgradeable to 64mb ( 4 x 16mb ). Possibly up […]
Show full quote

My IBM PS/1 486dx-50 originally came with a Sound Blaster 16 sound card
4mb or ram upgradeable to 64mb ( 4 x 16mb ). Possibly upgradeable to 128mb ( 4 x 32mb ) Fast Page Mode RAM. Non-parity, 72-pin.
and a 540mb hard-drive.

I have an Onboard Cirrus Logic 5428 graphics chip which is pretty good for it's time.
Only the Cirrus Logic 5429 was a little better but not much.
So No need to add a VLB Video card if you have the 5426 or 5428.

For Windows 3x / DOS, 16mb of ram is good enough.
For Windows 95 32mb of ram should be good enough.

I upgraded my CPU with and Intel 486dx4-100 Overdrive CPU.
But 66mhz is good enough for DOS/Win3x

Mine has a Cirrus Logic 5430, essentially the same as a 5429 from what I can gather, so I'm lucky that I dot a decent deal as far as integrated graphics are considered. Mine had no sound card, but came with a Future Domain ISA SCSI controller and an ISA 3Com EtherLink III card, though the card itself seems to be aftermarket as it has no IBM part numbers.

I am considering getting a different case for the system. If I do, I will likely upgrade it to a DX4-100, or an AM5x86 P-75 (133MHz). I probably won't go for the 5x86, but that has yet to be seen. If I keep it in its original case, and repair it over time, I will not change the CPU as the front label lists it as a DX2-66 and mismatches like that irk me slightly.

Where am I?

Reply 4 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, That VLB slot is pretty much useless since they put such a good graphics chip in these computers. I was looking for an IBM desktop with a VLB slot but after researching it
they are NOT needed. All you can use them for is a controller card or video card.

My IBM PS/1's are all ISA which is fine since all I needed to add was a sound card and network card. The onboard video is good enough.

Reply 5 of 8, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Yeah, That VLB slot is pretty much useless since they put such a good graphics chip in these computers. I was looking for an IBM desktop with a VLB slot but after researching it
they are NOT needed. All you can use them for is a controller card or video card.

My IBM PS/1's are all ISA which is fine since all I needed to add was a sound card and network card. The onboard video is good enough.

My question is why did IBM put such good graphics chipsets in these things? It's not like these were high-end machines by any degree, and if you look, both the model in your IBM PS/1 and the model in my PC 350 is better than even the TSENG ET4000 (screenshot took from a PhilsComputerLab video I found when initially trying to gauge the performance of my PC). This isn't even in just what SVGA resolutions/colors it can do, but in raw performance in things such as games.

This isn't to mention that I'm not using a DX-33, I'm using a DX2-66, which inflates performance even more than reflected on these charts. Keep in mind that this computer, with this powerful of a graphics chip, is the same computer that an automotive shop bought and abused slowly via chemical dust suffocation while they ran weird automotive certification exams or whatever on it. It didn't have any cache though, so they would've never been able to remotely experience this PC's actual performance potential.

0.png
Filename
0.png
File size
993.18 KiB
Views
File license

I bet it can run Quake.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.g … isc/A8pTldeVGqA "Got a 486? TOO BAD, cant run quake."

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.g … mer/gAu8a3RZVVo "Secret why Pentium beats K6 on Quake"

Here are a couple of old threads I found a while back when doing too much research into mid-90's computer stuff, which I ended up remembering while writing this. One thing that I found a lot were old threads like these, which was my roundabout way of trying to figure out more about the "not on paper," stuff that Wikipedia and other similar things didn't cover, but that people talked about at the time. The "Secret why Pentium beats K6 on Quake" is far more entertaining than the first one, particularly on the 6th and 9th posts.

Flame wars regarding AMD and Intel written decades ago aside, I will be trying this and seeing what happens, in my own experience. Wish me luck.

Where am I?

Reply 6 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For Dos/Win3.1 even without L2 that ststem would have been totally adequate for what it was used for. Looks like it is a member of the PS/ValuePoint range which basicly ran parrallel to the later PS/1 systems. Because so many were produced having vlb on the mobo makes sense and would have kept costs down Same goes with having integrated i/o. DEC, as well as other OEMs did as well. Most likely the HDD controller is vlb as well. Some model ValuePoints have on board PCI. This might be handy https://www.manualslib.com/manual/841230/Ibm- … 472.html#manual

Full discloser I run Windows 3.1 on a 286/12 system with 8megs of ram.

At least IBM saw the light and realized MCA was a dead end with all its propriotryness of its interface and peripherals. Same goes for the first two models of the PS/1 range which had wierd ram upgrades, speaker along with psu in the Monitor and odd connections for HDD and FDD. The 4-Quad menu was pretty cool though and like it being in rom and dos was also in rom. You can get and updated version of the which can load off the HDD for Dos 5 & 6 systems.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 7 of 8, by athlon-power

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a few updated pictures now that I've got it set up:

20190828_005410.jpg
Filename
20190828_005410.jpg
File size
670.92 KiB
Views
File comment
POST Screen. Not sure what the "SurePath BIOS," thing is about, other than that it's PnP, and does some other cool things.
File license
20190828_005229.jpg
Filename
20190828_005229.jpg
File size
682.55 KiB
Views
File comment
The system booted into MS-DOS 6.22. It came with PC-DOS, but I ended up formatting the HDD and I prefer MS-DOS as I've used it the most.
File license
20190828_005338.jpg
Filename
20190828_005338.jpg
File size
721.64 KiB
Views
File comment
Windows 3.1. Not much I can say here other than that I've added a few programs and extensions to it.
File license

Here are the current specs:
IBM Personal Computer 350-466DX2 (Type 6581L5F, BIOS date 03/10/95, Motherboard OAEK8XJLU7I)

486 DX2 66MHz (It could be an Intel, an AMD, a Cyrix, or even an OEM IBM chip, I have no clue. The CPU has a heatsink glued onto it and the BIOS only says "80486DX2 66MHz.")
12MB 72-pin SIMM (1x 4MB, 1x 8MB)
Cirrus Logic 5430 VLB 1MB
540MB IDE HDD (No speed, I'll assume this is either a ATA-33 or slower drive)
Onboard IDE Controller (No given speed, same assumption as with HDD)
50-pin SCSI 4x CD-ROM
Future Domain 1680 ISA SCSI Controller
ESS AudioDrive 1869F
3.5" 1.44MB FDD

It uses PwrSCSI! Software which handily sets up the DOS CD drivers for me. I was using a 48x IDE CD-ROM drive before, but I recently got an external 4x SCSI CD-ROM, so I took it out of the enclosure, and threw it into the computer. So far, it's been working fine, knock on wood. The floppy diskette you see sitting to the left of the monitor is a DOS 6.22 boot diskette that I made to be able to play Wolfenstein 3D. Wolf3D doesn't like the SCSI drivers being loaded, and will say it doesn't have enough memory, so I made a boot diskette, copied the autoexec.bat and config.sys files over from my C: drive, and just removed all of the entries for the SCSI software, and the game launches fine. I'll probably use this diskette for any other software that doesn't run right with the SCSI drivers initialized. Both DOOM and Heretic run just fine with the SCSI drivers loaded, so this is more Wolf3D specific.

I still may try to get some 2fps gameplay out of Quake on this machine. I did, however, recently get ahold of a Pentium MMX 200MHz machine for US$5, which included the Packard Bell monitor I'm using for the 486 right now. It originally had the speakers on there, but seeing as I don't have a power supply for them at the moment, I took them off and put them into storage until I can get a power brick for them. I may end up saving Quake for that machine, if I can get it working right, that is.

Where am I?

Reply 8 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have access to a 3D printer and an expert modeler, You might be able print a out a piece to fit that broken case. Or use some clay to help mold a replacement part.
Then just epoxy it on and paint.
Should be good as new,

If you can get access to the motherboard manual.
You should be able to fit a 486-dx4-100 overdrive CPU which supports 5 volts.
Just set the jumpers to 33mhz bus which it probably all ready is so you just need to pop in the DX4 overdrive CPU

3 x 33.3mhz = 100mhz.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEALED-VINTAGE-1 … awAAOSwHSVcbzPL