VOGONS

Gateway LP Mini Tower KAD Select 800

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok so i got everest loaded and the one driver im missing is a pci input controller witch is the game port for my creative pci512 card, but the rest of the audio stuff works. So could someone point me in the right direction of the latest driver for that card

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 21 of 35, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Know I replied on the other thread, but searching under the SB part number may give better luck.
But yeh there are 100's of variants of these things with the same number, just comes down to trying every single driver out there, Thanks Creative 🙁

Reply 22 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i found what the one missing driver was it was the game port on my sound blaster pci512, its getting replaced with a yamaha dx card, love these card not one problem.

Reply 23 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I threw in a yamaha dx (great sounding midi by the way) and 120gb hard drive the old 30gb quantum was giving me random lock-ups,but now this thing run awesome, got all drivers working even the chipset Win98se and installed all the games i use to play when i was 10 years old and got lost in it for 8 straight.

Reply 24 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So i did a little bit of swapping out, i switched out the geforce for a pci voodoo3 2000 cuz of the agp problems and switched out the yamaha dx for a aureal vortex 2 (first time with a vertex 2) sound amazing for its time.

Reply 25 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ha score i got a 900MHz cpu for free, for this!!!

Reply 26 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thought i would share this its bunch of benchmarks from overclocking my Geforce3 TI200 64MB in my Gateway

Attachments

Reply 27 of 35, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i hate to be a jerk here, but why do you good people keep throwing up archived office files? T.T
i mean, i cannot be so much data, as to make it impossible to throw in a little html table here?

Reply 28 of 35, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im still learning how to use some of the features on here I don't know how to make a table on here.
Its openoffice so its a free program.

Reply 29 of 35, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i´m crying more because of the zip -.-

let me try:

***snip***

edit: even a painful death is better than pasted spreadsheet changed into plaintext;
the bad bad admin will not let us use basic HTML :<

Reply 30 of 35, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It seems that the Gateway download links are no longer functional and wayback doesn't have this BIOS archived, so I am including the latest BIOS here. The latest BIOS is the A00SNP06.ROM, but I have also included the previous version A00SNP05.ROM.

This system is known by a couple names:
Gateway 2000 Kadoka
Gateway KAD Select 750. The '750' can be substituted for 600, 650, 700, 750, 800, or 850.

My particular system has the Thunderbird 750 MHz chip. I'm hoping that 1 GHz Orion or Thunderbird CPUs will run on this board with 750 MB of ECC RAM. The main drawback of the board is the missing ISA slots, but you can fit just about any ATX Irongate in the case. I like to keep OEM boards in OEM cases though.

If anyone has the official Gateway manual for this particular board, would you be kind enough to post it?

Filename
Gateway_KAD_Select_aka_Gateway_2000_Kadoka_BIOS_0AASNP06.zip
File size
758.35 KiB
Downloads
71 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 31 of 35, by Darth_Azrael

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2020-05-05, 10:59:
It seems that the Gateway download links are no longer functional and wayback doesn't have this BIOS archived, so I am including […]
Show full quote

It seems that the Gateway download links are no longer functional and wayback doesn't have this BIOS archived, so I am including the latest BIOS here. The latest BIOS is the A00SNP06.ROM, but I have also included the previous version A00SNP05.ROM.

This system is known by a couple names:
Gateway 2000 Kadoka
Gateway KAD Select 750. The '750' can be substituted for 600, 650, 700, 750, 800, or 850.

My particular system has the Thunderbird 750 MHz chip. I'm hoping that 1 GHz Orion or Thunderbird CPUs will run on this board with 750 MB of ECC RAM. The main drawback of the board is the missing ISA slots, but you can fit just about any ATX Irongate in the case. I like to keep OEM boards in OEM cases though.

If anyone has the official Gateway manual for this particular board, would you be kind enough to post it?
Gateway_KAD_Select_aka_Gateway_2000_Kadoka_BIOS_0AASNP06.zip

As it so happens, I just found a Gateway Select 700 in the trash the other night, sans hard drive and memory but otherwise in mint condition. This is my first Slot A system and I too am curious what the max CPU is that can be put in these. I have had no luck tracking down any kind of manual for this board and I'm starting to think no such thing exists. I did capture the attached from Gateway's site via the Wayback Machine. Not particularly helpful though.

I see that they made Slot A Thunderbirds with a 200MHz bus all the way up to 1400MHz. I guess it's just a matter of what multiplier this board supports? My Google-fu skills tell me Slot A boards typically support up to a 10x multiplier so that would get it to 1GHz. I don't know what boards supported those higher frequency Slot As (1400, 1300, 1200, 1100). If the price for the one auction I saw on eBay for a 1GHz Athlon Slot A (not even a Thunderbird) is any indication of what is typical, it's not going to be worth it anyway (but it could be yours for the low, low price of $399!). A brief search didn't turn up any of the "goldfinger devices" that were commonly used to overclock Slot As back in the day either.

Attachments

Reply 32 of 35, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, that's more than I found from Gateway.

Never heard of Slot A's above 1 GHz. Have a photo?

I started a new thread concerning processor speed on this board. I'm having trouble with the faster Thunderbird at 1 GHz, but not the Orion. Is it common for slot A 1 GHz Orions to work on a board but not 1 GHz Thunderbirds?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 33 of 35, by Darth_Azrael

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote on 2020-05-05, 22:23:

Well, that's more than I found from Gateway.

Never heard of Slot A's above 1 GHz. Have a photo?

I don't have one myself but they are listed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Ath … microprocessors