VOGONS

Asus P2B-F Slot 1 Retro PC

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by SpaceCadet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-16, 12:18:

This is what I did in my Dell Dimension XPS D333.. AWE64 internally routed to Montego (Vortex 1) using the MB_PRO headers on the AWE64 and the AUX In on the Montego. It works perfectly.

How does that work in plain DOS? I guess you have to initialize the Vortex and set mixer settings at least?

Reply 21 of 27, by SpaceCadet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SpaceCadet wrote on 2020-06-13, 09:40:
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-06-12, 14:00:

Look for Cherry USB/PS2 mice on eBay, they were the best option when I was looking for a beige optical PS/2 mouse.

Good tip, thanks! I didn't know about Cherry mice and they seem to have good availability.

I received that Cherry mouse today. It ticks the "retro look" box but other than that: oof ... easily one of the worst mice I've ever used: very flimsy body, harshly clicking buttons and moving it around it feels jittery and imprecise.
I can't recommend it to anyone.

EAlW973l.jpg

I hope I'll like the Logitech M-SBF96 that I ordered more.

Reply 22 of 27, by SpaceCadet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-12, 13:15:

Yes, that board will run Coppermine CPUs fine (once you update the BIOS IIRC, so flash the BIOS to the last P2B-F Rev:1.0 BIOS ASAP)

Indeed it does!

b5OpI9rl.jpg

Runs a good bit cooler than the Katmai PIII-500 as well. After Doom torture test:

Px6dcn2l.jpg

By the way, the heatsink of the PIII-750 has a short cable coming off it with a 3-pin connector that I can't identify. It sorta looks like a fan connector, but not quite. Temperature probe? Some proprietary fan connector? (No idea from what kind of system this PIII was harvested) Anyone?

YNhUbH9l.jpg

Reply 24 of 27, by SpaceCadet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2020-06-17, 10:52:

See this thread + the photo in the OP:
Weird Slot 1 heatsink/cooler

Ah thanks!

So a proprietary Compaq temperature sensor that I can't use. I'll just tuck it out of the way then.

Reply 26 of 27, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpaceCadet wrote on 2020-06-17, 11:18:

So a proprietary Compaq temperature sensor that I can't use. I'll just tuck it out of the way then.

You can probably hook up 2 of the 3 wires to the onboard thermal sensors of the P2B-F => Hardware Monitor JTPWR, JTCP - see page 22 of the manual

Reply 27 of 27, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of factory air guides are formed out of poster board. If you want to further reduce CPU temperature, that would be an option for you.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder