VOGONS

CTX-SPII350

Topic actions

First post, by Zack_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a machine I was incredibly lucky to find at Goodwill! I found it about a year-and-a-half ago or so. I always loved these CTX machines because I love the look of them.

Before we get to the specs, here are some pics of this machine:

IMG_4960.jpg
Filename
IMG_4960.jpg
File size
1.58 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_4961.jpg
Filename
IMG_4961.jpg
File size
1.65 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_4962.jpg
Filename
IMG_4962.jpg
File size
1.87 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_4963.jpg
Filename
IMG_4963.jpg
File size
872.42 KiB
Views
File license

This is a Pentium II 350MHz with 64MB of SDRAM, and a 6.4GB hard drive. The drive is a now Western Digital, but it originally had a Maxtor (also a 6.4GB), which had a catastrophic melt-down shortly after I got the machine.

The machine was made in very early 1998, and as such, ran Windows 95 from the factory. As you can see above, I have the original restore disc for this machine, which is probably very rare. I really need to make a copy of it before its lost to time.

I restored the new hard drive from this CD, so this machine is set-up exactly how it came from the factory. A Pentium II makes a very nice Windows 95 machine. I also have quite a lot of nostalgia for Windows 95, as it was the first version of Windows I used heavily (even though it was already pretty much vintage by then!).

I also had to replace the video card, as the original was completely dead. I just popped in an ATi Rage 128 I had kicking around. I still have the card, and I have a feeling the cheap electrolytic capacitors on it are likely at fault, so I will likely recap it at some point in hopes of reviving it.

One nice touch of restoring it from the original disc, is that it puts the CTX logo on there for you 😀

CTX PII copy.jpg
Filename
CTX PII copy.jpg
File size
92.1 KiB
Views
File license

It's really just a standard installation of Windows 95. It doesn't install any bloatware, which is nice.

As for upgrades, I really don't have anything planned for it. The 64MB of RAM and Pentium II 350 is plenty for Windows 95. I should also mention that I did install a network card, which makes getting files transferred to it much easier. I can also browse "theoldnet.com" which is a site I highly reccomed checking-out.

I've already gotten some of the software I like to put on these things installed, such as Acrobat, Photoshop, Winzip, and Microsoft Works 4.5, but I also want to install Office 97 and Microsoft Bob (yes, Microsoft Bob). I may put a game or two on it as well.

That's all for now!

Starting Windows 95. . .

Reply 1 of 5, by GordonFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice find! That’s a pretty cool looking system. I’ve found some pretty cool PC stuff at thrift stores, including hardware and games. Recently I found a copy of Trespasser in excellent condition.

Reply 2 of 5, by Zack_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! Unfortunately, the Goodwill I got this from has pretty much gotten to the point where they don't sell computers anymore. And my local Savers also closed, which is really a shame.

Starting Windows 95. . .

Reply 3 of 5, by GordonFreeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zack_H wrote:

Thanks! Unfortunately, the Goodwill I got this from has pretty much gotten to the point where they don't sell computers anymore. And my local Savers also closed, which is really a shame.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing happening at a lot of the thrift stores near me. I'm guessing it's because nobody buys them. There is one place in town that has an entire computer section though, and there's also a computer store in town that has some old stuff - that's where I found my Sony Vaio.

Reply 4 of 5, by bandicoot67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GordonFreeman wrote:

Nice find! That’s a pretty cool looking system. I’ve found some pretty cool PC stuff at thrift stores, including hardware and games. Recently I found a copy of Trespasser in excellent condition.

Hi there, if you manage to get the hi res patch/mod to work for Trespasser, can you give me some tips please?

Reply 5 of 5, by ssshake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey! I came here because I saw mention of theoldnet.com. I just released a new version of the HTTP Proxy. Have you tried it yet? It's great for an authentic experience versus using The Old Net's web portal. http://theoldnet.com/docs/httpproxy