VOGONS

Suggestions for Desktop pentium M build

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Noob question: what's the performance difference between a PM and say a Northwood or Prescott of similar clock? Or am I missing the point entirely ie power usage?

Reply 22 of 31, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Standard Def Steve wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

I was playing 1 of the STALKER games and NFS Prostreet, could the PM handle that? also can it do HD youtube when OCed?

Haven't tried playing NFS ProStreet on it, but based on the rather low system requirements (2.8GHz P4, 512MB RAM, FX5950/Radeon 9500), I'd guess that pretty much any Dothan would be able to handle it with a good graphics card.

My machine has no problem with YouTube HD. CPU usage stays nice and low even with 1080p clips. Course, the GTX-260 does all of the heavy lifting.

nforce4max wrote:
cdoublejj wrote:

I was playing 1 of the STALKER games and NFS Prostreet, could the PM handle that? also can it do HD youtube when OCed?

Honestly a good PM build can handle a lot of the newer titles but only with a decent graphics card, after all there are still p4 systems running current titles. I'll take a PM over any AMD C or E series any day. Plays Bioshock great so I can't complain.

If only there was an option for adjusting the volts then getting 2.6-2.8 would be no issue on some samples.

Damn! IS the PM that much more efficient?

sgt76 wrote:

Clock for clock, a PM would obliterate Netburst.

http://www.techimo.com/forum/processors-memor … benchmarks.html

Oooooooooohhhhhhhhh.

Guess that means I could undo the volt mod and ditch the water cooling (which is broken atm)? just need an adapter and a mildly decent heat sink no?

guess it could double as an HTPC. Guess I should also see if they have a PM with over 1MB of cache AND SSE3.

EDIT: what's the search word for the PM Adapter?

EDIT: i'm not seeing any with with SSE 3 on Cpu World, doesn't that matter? not that the game benchmarks lie.

Reply 23 of 31, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Asus made an adapter which you can still get on ebay if you look for it, the ASUS CT-479. But you have to check if it's compatible with your motherboard.

Reply 24 of 31, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In day to day tasks and gaming a PM is heads and shoulders above any C or E series. Had a e-350 and hated for that fact that it only had single channel memory controller and a needy IGP. To top it off the cpu side of things the E-350 is slightly slower than a 3.4ghz p4. Power consumption wise it can be undervotled with k10-stat with ease (1.2v) so it can be pushed down to like 15w full load which is good for bitcoin rigs!

For anyone else who wants to build a rig like this it all comes down to just having the right board and the rest is easy. I like having ddr2 ram and pci-e graphics which makes things so much easier.

The 875 Asus board will give the best clocks due to voltage control while the 915 option gives sata and pci-e. I am already wanting to upgrade the graphics card (want a cheap 5770).

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 25 of 31, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe it was , i had looked into once before, seeing as i have an Asus it is compatible as far as i remember. I just didn't think it would be faster, in fact slower.

also there is a PCIe DDR2 Pentium 4 board, i never OCed on it but, it worked fine for me.

EDIT: I never did get an answer on full screen or HD youtube. I guess i'll probably find out anyways, it will be far more cost effective to get an adapter for cheap and undo my volt mods.

EDIT: this is interesting maybe why the OCing is limited?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthrea … t-MORE...GET-IT...

EDIT: some benchmarks

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/CT-479/8.html

IT appears overclocking it is KEY. I wonder if i could hit 2.55ghz.

Reply 26 of 31, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't have to worry about youtube at all if you are using a dx10 or newer era card as the card handles the workload for flash (hardware acceleration).

As for that v-mod I have seen it before but I am not hot about using a PM with an agp card. I did find one post about using a wire in the socket that bumped the volts up but to 1.6v (cringe). I have seen a few rare socket 478 boards using slightly modern chipsets but those are hard to find.

Reply 27 of 31, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

EDIT: I never did get an answer on full screen or HD youtube. I guess i'll probably find out anyways, it will be far more cost effective to get an adapter for cheap and undo my volt mods.

Yes you did. As I wrote earlier:

"My machine has no problem with YouTube HD. CPU usage stays nice and low even with 1080p clips. Course, the GTX-260 does all of the heavy lifting."

Even if you don't pair it with an H.264-capable video card, it should still be able to handle 720p YouTube just fine.

You'll be impressed with your new PM-on-875 setup. Back when I was running XP on my PM rig, it scored a cool 37.5K in 3DMark01. No P4 I know of can do that! 😁

Reply 28 of 31, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well my asus board it's self is vmodded, i'll have to undo that, i have things gain by un doing it any ways, cooling being the main thing. I have an AGP HD2600 Pro. If the PM is that much faster maybe i might one day pick up an AGP HD4670. I'll probably use this as HTPC/Entertainment pc hooked to a TV if i ever get my own place. Not that I don't already have a few to many PCs. 😜

EDIT: there are already some volt mods out there for the socket adapter it's self.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthrea … GET-IT.../page4

Reply 29 of 31, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You won't need much to push a PM, I did 2.5ghz on stock volts and for 2.8 you might only need 1.5v tops if the cooling is good. A PM can handle more powerful cards to my surprise but with your rig and very good ram you could drop the mult then push the fsb to the moon.

Reply 30 of 31, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i was thinking about that. i wonder if put arctic silver 5 on the north bridge, yeah i probably did 😜 if i can nab this adapter this weekend, i'm gonna go for it.

Reply 31 of 31, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well some A hole snipped me for more than i would pay, so it will have to wait till one comes up on ebay again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171043740209?ssPageNa … 984.m1435.l2649

EDIT: and then minutes later i bought one for just under 20 bucks from Asia. 😁

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-CT-479-CPU-Upgra … =item460f94fb59

at this moment, there are are 2 left.

I also grabbed an SL7SM for 11 bucks.

http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL7SM.html

now i'm gonna ditch the water cooling system and Pentium 4.