VOGONS

Dual Pentium III Scsi Raid Workstation Build

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That SCSI cable origami makes me moist. I love it when anyone builds a dualie.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 21 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

That SCSI cable origami makes me moist. I love it when anyone builds a dualie.

Even if it contains a VIA?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 29, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I presume you mean the chipset. I have nothing against VIA. Would I have picked it for myself? Not likely; and don't think of that as a criticism! Just because I personally gravitate to the extreme end of the workstation dual-cpu boards has no bearing here.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 23 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, was referring to the chipset. I like the VIA 266T on the right board though. A dual VIA CPU would be something. Too bad the Nehemiah didn't support SMP; I know VIA was considering it at some point.

Reply 24 of 29, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

mmm The VIA distaste is warranted though. They did make a couple stable bug free chipsets though. I'd expect this is one of them.

Ironically one of the worst if not the worst /buggyest chipset they made is the most popular for retro gaming MVP3.

Reply 25 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote:

mmm The VIA distaste is warranted though. They did make a couple stable bug free chipsets though. I'd expect this is one of them.

Ironically one of the worst if not the worst /buggyest chipset they made is the most popular for retro gaming MVP3.

Wasn't the MVP3 OK if you avoided using any AGP features - meaning, you used a Voodoo, or stuck with PCI graphics? And used the proper VIA 4-in-1 driver ?

Reply 26 of 29, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

they also have ATA data corruption bug via int 13, most notable when using promise pci IDE cards, and unstable USB. On top of that of course once you insert a AMD CPU in it, then you inherit all the AMD bugs like incomplete MMX implementation.

Last edited by Warlord on 2019-12-19, 20:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 29, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh no! That's what I'm using in my MVP3. Is there a means to quickly check for this corruption bug? I have a Promise Ultra133 in mine with a Cyrix MII. You'd think it would have exploded by now.

Reply 28 of 29, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it may depend on south bridge revision, and promise card type. I know promise 100 version not the 133 has the bug. I think the 133 is made by marvell, while the 100 is in house I could be wrong.

Reply 29 of 29, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

also don't for get SB live PCI bug. KT266 contains a hardware bug which causes system instability when using the AGP slot at the specified max capacity of 4×