Retro Rig Photo Thread

Topic actions

Reply 201 of 2761, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, the IBM floppy drive even has that odd blue eject button! 😜

Is it a 1.44 or a 2.88 floppy drive btw?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 205 of 2761, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ibm5150pc wrote:

DELETED

Any reason why you deleted all of your posts here??

Report spammers here!

Reply 207 of 2761, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wish my GX1's looked like this one

8830-450x-dellmod_1.jpg
8831-450x-dellmod_2.jpg
8832-450x-dellmod_3.jpg
8833-450x-dellmod_4.jpg
8834-450x-dellmod_5.jpg
8835-450x-dellmod_6.jpg

And it has upgrades.

"Inside, you'll find an Intel Celeron processor (1.4-GHz), 512MB of RAM, ATI Radeon 7000 graphics, 80GB HDD, and a Dell GX1 motherboard"

Upgrade the video card and a little more RAM and you could run Windows 7 on it. 😁

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadge … dell-gone-wrong

Reply 208 of 2761, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man, that looks ricey, though I can appreciate the work and thought that went into it. Matter 'a taste I suppose.

I think a retro rig looks better if it stays retro looking like bushwhack's P1 and P3 builds, Old Trashbarg's Athlon, Tetrium's entire attic....

Reply 209 of 2761, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello crowd,

this final PC I have is my first computer I bought in 1996.
It is an Acer Aspire with a V12LC-2x mainboard which funnily enough is a socket 5 m/b.
It originally came with a pentium 100 mhz cpu , 8mb of Ram, a cirrus logic 5434 integrated video card with 1 mb of ram a 1.2g hard drive, 6x cd rom and finally a soundblaster 16.
Monitor is a 15 inch acer 7156s.
This was the new wave of "multimedia" pc's that had windows 95 installed and you could see videos, play games and do your homework like never before, according to video of the lady that come up after you first booted the pc. She went to talk on about "oobe" the out of box experience of owning an acer aspire pc.

The reason I bought the pc was because it was green. Every other pc was beige and for an utter newb like me in 1996 (the black pc revolution was a few years away) thats what had me hooked.

The games I played on this pc are too numerous to mention, but it is this memory that stopped me from junking the pc years later. After all you don't junk what you loved so much!

In the mean time here are some pics:
5799304056_5e1b35427f_z.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61324868@N02/579 … in/photostream/

5798756315_ba7aa4ec75_z.jpg

Now in the intervening years I have upgraded the pc a bit.
Having a propriety mainboard stopped any possible uprgade of the board.
However the cpu was changed to a p166 and then overclocked to 200mhz where it stays today.
Ram was increased to 86 mb. A nice increase.
The 1.2G quantum hd failed and was replaced by a 4.3g seagate.
A matrox millenium 2 pci card is doing the 2d duties. This card has the daughterboard vram expansion with overall 8mb of vram.
A voodoo 2 12mb is doing the 3d.
and a realtek pci nic is connecting the pc to the network.

motherboard, cpu, ram
5798759205_6613d534d7_z.jpg

voodoo2
5799311184_1393d64f68_z.jpg

these old pc's should never be thrown out. Just used as they were meant to be..
so here is to all the memories!

Reply 210 of 2761, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, never seen such a case!!
Nice rig, how is the boxed Pentium's fan? Is it noisy or can a sane person stay sane with it? 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 212 of 2761, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stano wrote:

the fan is very quiet actually. if it goes I will have a hell of a time replacing it. the heatsinkfan is glued onto the cpu!

You can remove the fan though, it's mounted with some clips. The heatsink is glued indeed.

Report spammers here!

Reply 213 of 2761, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My old P3 "Rat Rig" in a new old case. Everything is period correct to 99/00- looks it though don't it? 🤣. Cosmetically a bit worse for wear but it runs very nicely.

A very old case from 97 with removable PSU mounting and motherboard tray.
P6050029.jpg

P6050030.jpg

Specs" P3 800Mhz, Matsonic MS7112C mobo, 384mb ram, Voodoo3 2000, SB AWE64, 3C905c-tx, 10.8gb hard disk, 40x cd-rom, Win98SE with SP2.1

Voodoo 3 is overclocked at 166mhz- capable of 190mhz but best to keep things within check. Cooled by a 40mm fan, and a PCI slot fan underneath it. Plus an 80mm intake fan up front. Temps are OK thanks to this.
P6050028.jpg

A closer look. This is a very sensitive motherboard, took me a long time to figure out settings and hardware that works in combination with it but it's running along nicely now. 133mhz fsb but the ram is set at 100mhz CL2 Turbo. Running the ram synchronously is sometimes unstable- a problem I've seen with this and some other VIA 694A motherboards. The later 694X doesn't have such issues though and also runs great with any hardware you care to throw into it.
P6050031.jpg

Playing DKII at the moment on this thing... never got to finishing that...

Reply 216 of 2761, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just remembered i have one of these pci slot fans...it was my first attempt at cooling my p3 450 rig. I later removed it as i wanted to use the pci slot...must try and find it..

sgt76
I see there is also a s370 socket, but you cannot use both the slot and the socket at the same time right?

Reply 217 of 2761, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stano wrote:

sgt76
I see there is also a s370 socket, but you cannot use both the slot and the socket at the same time right?

No you can't, and the socket is PPGA - that means Mendocino support only. These sorts of combo boards were popular cause they allowed you to use your old P2/ Mendocino and then hopefully upgrade to a Slot 1 P3 when prices dropped.

Reply 218 of 2761, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:
My old P3 "Rat Rig" in a new old case. Everything is period correct to 99/00- looks it though don't it? :lol:. Cosmetically a […]
Show full quote

My old P3 "Rat Rig" in a new old case. Everything is period correct to 99/00- looks it though don't it? 🤣. Cosmetically a bit worse for wear but it runs very nicely.

A very old case from 97 with removable PSU mounting and motherboard tray.

Specs" P3 800Mhz, Matsonic MS7112C mobo, 384mb ram, Voodoo3 2000, SB AWE64, 3C905c-tx, 10.8gb hard disk, 40x cd-rom, Win98SE with SP2.1

Voodoo 3 is overclocked at 166mhz- capable of 190mhz but best to keep things within check. Cooled by a 40mm fan, and a PCI slot fan underneath it. Plus an 80mm intake fan up front. Temps are OK thanks to this.

A closer look. This is a very sensitive motherboard, took me a long time to figure out settings and hardware that works in combination with it but it's running along nicely now. 133mhz fsb but the ram is set at 100mhz CL2 Turbo. Running the ram synchronously is sometimes unstable- a problem I've seen with this and some other VIA 694A motherboards. The later 694X doesn't have such issues though and also runs great with any hardware you care to throw into it.

Playing DKII at the moment on this thing... never got to finishing that...

Very nice! I have a case that looks vaguely similar, except iirc it has the PSU in normal position 😉
I've seen those combo Slot1/PPGA370 boards a few times and have 1 laying around somewhere and yes, you can only use 1 at the time.

The case looks ugly (shape, color, interior) but that's part of the charm really!! And the removable motherboard tray is a nice touch of course.

sgt76 wrote:

A closer look. This is a very sensitive motherboard, took me a long time to figure out settings and hardware that works in combination with it but it's running along nicely now.

Well.....looking at the northbridge cooler, it looks suspiciously similar to the ones used on ECS boards 🙁
But if you've got it running fine (and the caps seem fine also) then there's nothing to worry about 😉

"Some" of those ECS boards are interesting though, often using the latest chipset hardly found on any other board because the major board manufacturers had already moved on to newer types of Sockets.

What would be interesting is finding the cases "little brother", often cases made in 1997 came in AT and ATX versions and looks very similar!

Edit:Btw, what PSU are you using?

Report spammers here!

Reply 219 of 2761, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

The case looks ugly (shape, color, interior) but that's part of the charm really!! And the removable motherboard tray is a nice touch of course.

Thanks! It take a real connoisseur to appreciate the case.

Tetrium wrote:

"Some" of those ECS boards are interesting though, often using the latest chipset hardly found on any other board because the major board manufacturers had already moved on to newer types of Sockets.

It is an ECS board...Matsonic is one of ECS' various subsidiaries. I've had a few and not all of them are as bad as people say. I've had plenty of so called premium brand mobos go turkey 😵

Tetrium wrote:

What would be interesting is finding the cases "little brother", often cases made in 1997 came in AT and ATX versions and looks very similar!

That's me next project, an AT system... I've got everything else I want 'cept that. But systems that old are very rare here...most people here have a total throw out mentality with regards to anything old, be they computers, cars, etc.

Tetrium wrote:

Edit:Btw, what PSU are you using?

It's an Enlight 250 watter.