VOGONS

Reply 40 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-08-01, 20:52:

That's a beautiful case, I second that!

I ordered the case today (A black one), so it will be the case that I use to house this system! 😀

e0tmmKL.jpg

There aren't many modern cases that can take motherboards with this form factor!

YouTube

Reply 42 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2023-08-02, 16:59:

That system is going to look great in that case. I can't wait to see the finished build.

Thanks ! 😀

I think it should come together quite nicely ! (The case comes as a completely bare bone unit, so I'll have to purchase all of the fans separately!)

I plan on fitting nine of these InWin fans: (InWin Polaris RGB Aluminium 120mm LED Case Fan)

pJj6Wel.jpg

And one of these aspherical fans to direct airflow over the Thermalrite HR-03 Plus that I have fitted to my 8800 GTX: (As it doesn't have a fan attached to it!)

xfiGe05.jpg

rwJV7ag.jpg

I can fit this fan to the exhaust fan at the back of the case!

This is all going to cost a great deal of money, so it will take a few months to complete! (I've purchased the case, but I still need to purchase all the fans, a power supply and two SSD's!)

YouTube

Reply 43 of 243, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aspherical fan? That calls for more pictures and an explanation: 🤣:

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 44 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-08-02, 22:20:

Sorry I used the wrong word or phrase, “articulated” fan. (InWin Mars with Black Fin - Multi-Function Case Fan)

bNeWuvy.jpg

It mounts onto one of the case fans and allows you to direct airflow within the case!

YouTube

Reply 45 of 243, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Irinikus wrote on 2023-08-03, 01:47:
Sorry I used the wrong word or phrase, “articulated” fan. (InWin Mars with Black Fin - Multi-Function Case Fan) […]
Show full quote
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-08-02, 22:20:

Sorry I used the wrong word or phrase, “articulated” fan. (InWin Mars with Black Fin - Multi-Function Case Fan)

bNeWuvy.jpg

It mounts onto one of the case fans and allows you to direct airflow within the case!

Oh, that's nice!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 46 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-08-03, 04:06:

Oh, that's nice!

It's indeed pretty nifty! 😀

The case arrived today:

U9X9WqA.jpg

The Motherboard has arrived in the country, so I should have it in the next two weeks or so!

The power supply and fans will cost me a little bit more than the case did.

The aluminium Polaris fans aren't available locally, so I got quoted on the following items:

InWin P85 GOLD Modular Power Supply

ojfTDoj.png

5 x InWin FAN 120MM POLARIS TWIN PACK+DWIRE

4Eji8BR.jpg

1 x InWin FAN 120MM MARS BLACK/BLACK

bNeWuvy.jpg

YouTube

Reply 47 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This week I managed to fetch my 8800GTX, which I'll put up against the GTX 690 in this build, just to see how they compare. (The 8800 GTX will more than likely stay in the system, as it's "period correct")

Here are the two cards next to each other:

JUExyO2.jpg

The Motherboard, CPU Coolers and Cards have arrived at my local Post Office, so I'll collect them tomorrow and fit them into the case.

I have some commitments this month, so I'll only purchase the Power Supply and Fans next month! 🙁 (But at least the main hardware components will be fitted into the case!)

YouTube

Reply 49 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-08-14, 18:05:

Nice looking case that InWin 915 and cheap too. which is nice.

It's a very well made case, but they did cheat a bit when it comes to price (No fans included), as when you add the fans the cost increases considerably, making it not so cheap!

YouTube

Reply 50 of 243, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Irinikus wrote on 2023-08-15, 08:14:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-08-14, 18:05:

Nice looking case that InWin 915 and cheap too. which is nice.

It's a very well made case, but they did cheat a bit when it comes to price (No fans included), as when you add the fans the cost increases considerably, making it not so cheap!

Yeah but a chassis in that class for that class of hardware isnt cheap.
For that kind of money you would "only" expect a basic chassis like the SUPERMICRO SUPERCHASSIS 733TQ-668B MIDI TOWER BLACK 668 W
£373.10 Ex VAT = £447.72 inc VAT when buying new. Of course that price drops considerably when buying used.

Which is why its not expensive at all, its on the cheaper side even after youve added the cooling solution.

Reply 52 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I received my motherboard and goodies today and realise that I have a bit of a problem to solve! The CPU coolers need to be chassis mounted, as they weigh in at 920 grams each! (And they're designed to be chassis mounted of course!)

AH4to3i.jpg

So I'm going to have to get a plate made up which is tapped in the right places in order to secure the CPU coolers!

I've plotted where these holes would need to be drilled and tapped, but am currently undecided as to whether I want to mount the plate to the motherboard side of the motherboard tray or not. If I do decide to mount it to the back side of the motherboard tray, I'll need to drill one hole through the motherboard tray, as depicted by the red circle in this picture. The blue circles depict holes already present in the motherboard tray which will be use to secure the plate in place.

JfJCMSW.jpg

If any of you have faced this dilemma before, any advice would be welcome!

YouTube

Reply 54 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at the board, this type of backplate won't work unfortunately, so I'll have to make up a plate of my own as discussed above!

eYLYAE6.jpg

Here's a better pic of the board:

UjYvWCD.jpg

And this is what it looks like with the CPU coolers in place:

MCeRiRg.jpg

YouTube

Reply 56 of 243, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A number of the big board maker shipped their own backplate solutions for this class of boards, though Tyan doesn't seem to have been own of them 🙁

My Asus NCCH-DL & NCCH-DR boards both came with the X-PAD accessory kit, with adhesive backplates plus various heights of threaded nuts and rubber pads (these replaced the CEK springs)...

Xeon 604 CPU Support.jpg
Filename
Xeon 604 CPU Support.jpg
File size
122.44 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

...and my Iwill Dh800 came with a full size backplate to be screwed to the chassis...

Iwill Xeon backplate.jpg
Filename
Iwill Xeon backplate.jpg
File size
42.23 KiB
Views
File license

You also used to be able to get similar generic solutions like this - hard to find today though...

Xeon 604 backplates.jpg
Filename
Xeon 604 backplates.jpg
File size
253.42 KiB
Views
File license

If making your own, watch the height of the tapped threads (may have to add small threaded spacers) so as to apply sufficient load when the heatsinks are screwed fully down

Reply 57 of 243, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-08-15, 22:59:

You might as well get those two coolers in some white vinegar while youre waiting for the back plates

For bringing out the copper shine, or is there some other advantage, I don't know of?

Reply 58 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2023-08-15, 23:59:
A number of the big board maker shipped their own backplate solutions for this class of boards, though Tyan doesn't seem to have […]
Show full quote

A number of the big board maker shipped their own backplate solutions for this class of boards, though Tyan doesn't seem to have been own of them 🙁

My Asus NCCH-DL & NCCH-DR boards both came with the X-PAD accessory kit, with adhesive backplates plus various heights of threaded nuts and rubber pads (these replaced the CEK springs)...

Xeon 604 CPU Support.jpg

...and my Iwill Dh800 came with a full size backplate to be screwed to the chassis...

Iwill Xeon backplate.jpg

You also used to be able to get similar generic solutions like this - hard to find today though...

Xeon 604 backplates.jpg

If making your own, watch the height of the tapped threads (may have to add small threaded spacers) so as to apply sufficient load when the heatsinks are screwed fully down

Thanks very much for the info!

I intend to have the plate made up from 4.5mm plate aluminium. I checked the distance or depth to which the screw posts extend and they line up with the underside of the motherboard and the maximum extension length of the screws beyond that is 4mm with the coolers sitting on top of the CPU’s. A standard standoff is 6mm in length, the plate aluminium that I'm going to have made up has 1.5mm less height, so it will be able to take the full length of the screws beyond the screw post (The screws will be able to be driven 2.5 mm into the aluminium before the coolers starts exerting a downward force on the CPU's), driving the screws to a depth of 3.5mm should allow for a sufficient amount of pressure to be applied to the CPU’s. I'll make use of "tube spacers" to apply pressure to the CEK springs if required.

YouTube

Reply 59 of 243, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just run an initial test just to see if the motherboard and CPU's work, and they do indeed!

qo5oPqJ.jpg

Vrzyf1N.jpg

CnwjtZm.jpg

Sorry for the messy setup, but I can't mount it in the case as yet, but I absolutely had to check to see if it indeed works!

YouTube