VOGONS

First post, by pjturpeau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

after loosing my Toshiba 210CS I've decided to move on desktop rigs rather than laptops as I did have more spare parts for them.

I took the time to take shots and write some pages about two P54CS/P55C systems (to have all infos I need in one handy place), so I think it's a good time to share.
I mainly plan to use them as retro-coding rigs (based on few demoscene stuffs first), but retro-DOS gaming is also in the pipe 😉
I'll try to avoid dual booting MSDOS6.22 and WIN9x/MSDOS7.x and focus on MS-DOS 7.x compatibility as most as possible (I must admit a bit of lazyness...)

Dell OptiPlex GS-5133L

In short, it's a P54CS Pentium 133 / Intel 430FX system with an integrated S3 86C765 (Trio64V+) video card.

More details here http://turpeau.net/pierrejean/retro/dell-optiplex-gs5133l

Upgrade plan is:
- CPU: use my brave Pentium 200 (the exact one I used in 1997-1998)
- RAM: from 32MB (4x8MB) to 96 MB (2x 32MB + 2x 16MB) with few previously owned modules
- CD-RW: Philips CDRW800 Series (PCRW804) 8x/4x/32x CD-RW from a previous rig
- AUDIO: Install my old Gravis UltaSound MAX
- VIDEO: TBD/TBC
- NOISE: make the PSU less noisy?
- NIC: for easier file sharing, needs a PCI 2.0 compatible card. A refurbished 3Com 3C905B-TX ETHERLINK 10/100Mbps is a good candidate..

Siemens-Nixdorf Scenic Pro D5 200M

In short, it's a P55C Pentium 200 MMX / Intel 430TX system with a Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446 2MB (CLVGA54PCI) video card.

More details here http://turpeau.net/pierrejean/retro/siemens-s … nic-pro-d5-200m

Upgrade plan is:
- RAM: 256 MB
- DVD/CD-RW: NEC ND-1100A F/W:1.80 H/W:01 (from a previous rig)
- HDD: Disk On Module IDE Flash Drive to replace the weary Fujitsu
- AUDIO: 10€ refurbished Aztech AZT3002 PNP as a cheap SoundBlaster replacement (I know, this is not a great pick...)
- NOISE: make it quiet because it is really noisy (PSU and Heatsink)
- NIC: for easier file sharing my old Netgear FA311 seems to be a good fit.

Thanks to all Vogons contributors, it's a rich source of data.

I'll probably update the web pages with CPU benchmark and MS-DOS conventional memory setup (I'll not do a big effort on this).
When? That's another tough question, as I would like to focus back on retro-coding right now. The upgrade / benchmark plan will go slow... 😉

Feel free to comment or advise.

Attachments

• gs5133l_front.jpg
    Filename
    gs5133l_front.jpg
    File size
    316.27 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Dell OptiPlex GS-5133L
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • sprod5200m_front.jpg
    Filename
    sprod5200m_front.jpg
    File size
    311.11 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Siemens Scenic Pro D5 200M
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, that Pro D5 200M just looks sooooo cool!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 2 of 2, by pjturpeau

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would love to have the "low-profile" version.
It is interesting to see how they made the case pretty modular, easy to access with "screw-less" solutions.
The motherboard is also heavily modular.