Topic actions

Reply 20 of 43, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found one of these on Gumtree (copy of CraigsList) for $60:

amx100big.jpg

For connecting all my gizmos to one set of speakers.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 21 of 43, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The first 2 channels are for microphones, so you can't use them for a line level signal. One stereo line level input is certainly one pair of the white/red rca connectors, and probably some of the silver 1/4" jack inputs. But you're going to need a few adaptors in order for that to work.

Reply 22 of 43, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The "MIC" sockets will automatically adjust to accept line-level input. I use the two mics together as a single stereo in.

Alongside those, the two rightmost inputs are stereo line-in, there's a stereo "Tape" in, and a stereo "AUX" in. Total 10 channels, or 5 stereo inputs. There are also two stereo outputs (main out, and headphone out) so I could play to speakers, and simultaneously record audio to my laptop.

I hand-made all the connecting cable, using RG-6 quad shield, and heavy-duty metal plugs everywhere. It's very swanky. 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 23 of 43, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well if that's the case, well done!
In my room, where the lack of space is obvious, I have a good hi-fi system with two line inputs, and I use a couple of these, in order to connect more machines :

remote_image20110603-22664-xdfbit.jpg .

Maybe it's not the best solution, but it gets the job done for the time being...

Reply 26 of 43, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GXL750 wrote:

I like that Dell. The Panasonic changer and dual floppy drive are a total throwback to 90s. What's in that system?

Dell has the full specifications on their website:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/dta/486MTE/

A brief rundown is as follows:

Microprocessor type: 33/50/66/100-MHz Intel486 (66-MHz DX2 installed)
Memory: 4MB - 64MB (16MB installed)
External cache: 128-KB, direct-mapped SRAM
Expansion slots: 6 full-length, 16-bit ISA / 2 optional VL-Bus
Video chipset: Cirrus CL-GD5429

I don't plan to install any VLB cards, so, assuming I transfer everything over from the Gateway (except for the Matrox Millenium...), and fill the remaining two ISA slots with parts on-hand, the allocation will probably look like this:

Slot 1 - Gravis UltraSound PnP Pro
Slot 2 - Creative Game Blaster
Slot 3 - Creative AWE32 (CT3900), w/Roland SCB-55
Slot 4 - Roland LAPC-I
Slot 5 - IBM Music Feature Card
Slot 6 - HardSID ISA

Reply 32 of 43, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An IMFC with breakout box for $50! Awoooooooooooo...

Is this an AWE64 Gold S/PDIF bracket? Looks pretty alike.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 34 of 43, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How do you connect it to a CT3900 and avoid your receiver being damaged? I am sure that AWE64 Gold outputs 0.5V through S/PDIF header, while AWE32 does 5V.

Reply 35 of 43, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cloudschatze wrote:
http://www.symphoniae.com/misc/hardssi_s.jpg […]
Show full quote
carlostex wrote:

(...)

hardssi_s.jpg

😉

I thought my question was a bit dumb so i deleted it thinking HardSID had nothing to do with the SID chip. 🤣

You got my attention!! Is the hardSID a clone of the Innovation SSI, or totally different sound card? Does it have better game support than the Innovation, or any game support at all?

This crap is pretty exciting!

Pretty cool stuff!!

Reply 36 of 43, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HardSID is not a clone of Innovation SSI. It also carries a SID chip onboard, but as far as I have heard it is incompatible with SSI.

Reply 37 of 43, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bristlehog wrote:

How do you connect it to a CT3900 and avoid your receiver being damaged? I am sure that AWE64 Gold outputs 0.5V through S/PDIF header, while AWE32 does 5V.

I'd spent a bit of time researching this very issue, and while there's plenty of internet conjecture about the risk of potential damage due to incompatible voltage levels, the general consensus is that the majority of RS-422 and DAC implementations will work just fine with 5V TTL levels. In any event, I have the AWE32's S/PDIF output routed into a Klipsch DD-5.1 decoder/pre-amp, and use a Roland UA-1D for digital audio captures, and both devices are compatible with the 5V signal.

All of my recordings in the "Technically impressive FM synth music" thread are digital captures from the AWE32, incidentally.

bristlehog wrote:

HardSID is not a clone of Innovation SSI. It also carries a SID chip onboard, but as far as I have heard it is incompatible with SSI.

Exactly. The nice thing about the HardSID is that a handful of Commodore 64 emulators and SID music players support it as a passthrough device.

Reply 38 of 43, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the day care i went to as a kid had a gateway 2000... that piece of shit wasn't worth the materials it was made of. it constantly locked and froze and needed rebooting and was slow. it was from i understand these days a 486 and i know for a fact it had 95. every one always used the new 98 machine which at the time was built by the computer shop i now work at. at the time i usually hogged it and played StarCraft. 😈 sorry for going so off topic.

Reply 39 of 43, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

the day care i went to as a kid had a gateway 2000...

So, a 486 system of unknown speed and quantity of RAM...
...running Windows 95...
...in 1998...
...along with whatever other software/malware/adware was present in what was surely a highly-regulated environment...
= Gateway sucks.

Please forgive me for being completely dismissive of your well-formed opinion. 😀