VOGONS

First post, by jake_friz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hope this is the right forum in which to ask this question. What is the best 16 bit ISA video, audio, and network cards for a 286-16 machine? My current understanding is:

best 16 bit ISA
Video - ATI Mach 64 w/ 4MB RAM
Audio - Creative AWE64
NIC - 3COM 3C515 10/100

I have all 3 of these cards and they function in my 386 PC. However, yesterday I began a 286 project. The board is a late 286-16 that takes SIMMs. I don't know that manufacturer or have the manual. Anyhow, the NIC works. The other two cards do not. When they are inserted the system will not POST. With other (very old) isa audio and video cards it POSTs fine.

So, I'm looking for alternate high powered audio and video cards that will work in my 286.

Or I'd take advise on how to get the cards to work mentioned above to work in my 286.

I'm also interested in any one's opinion on other ISA cards that might be considered best in class.

For instance I have a sigma designs MPEG 1 isa decoder card (I forget the part number). I'm hoping to one day get my 386 to play MPEG1 files using this card. I also have a ISA PCMCIA adapter. With that I hope to get USB onto my 386. Lastly I have a ISA Sony 1394 card. And if someone disagrees with my top audio, video, and NIC picks, I'd love to hear about it.

Reply 1 of 4, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It really just depends what you want to do with this 286, Jake.

As far as games are concerned, games like Wolf3D, Wing Commander, etc. were standard fair for 286's. So you're not going to get much out of some of those spair cards. In fact, I'd save most of those for a 486 if it were me.

I'd probably choose a Tseng Labs ET4000 or Cirrus Logic perhaps for ISA video, a 3Com 3c509 for network, and a SBPro for audio.

Most of your spare parts are BIG-TIME overkill for a 286. Said simply, you'll never get the benefit of those cards because your 286 will always be the bottleneck. My advice: save those particular ISA cards of yours for a 486 or Pentium. They'll come in a lot more handy in a newer ISA Mobo.

Reply 2 of 4, by jake_friz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I took your advice and put a TSENG Labs ET4000 w/ 512k, a SBPro 2.0, and a Roland MPU-IPC-T w/ an MT-32. I found a copy of Wing Commander at good will and have gotten hooked on it. I also have an Intel Above Board w/ 8Meg EMS. Upon starting Wing Commander it says "found EMS.....EMS fully used". WOW! pkzip also detects it, BTW.

Anyhow, I'm spending so much time playing games that I havn't gotten the NIC working, fixed the dead CMOS battery, or even put the cover on the case. 😁

I was not a serious computer user when the 286 was mainstream. Any other advice on 286 era equipment?

Reply 4 of 4, by jake_friz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was using a generic, biege "Joy stick with fire button" but it didn't work so well. Now I have 2 gravis PC game pads which seem much better. What are people's favorite joy/flight stick or game pad/controller from this era?