VOGONS

Rockin' XT Clone

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 50, by CimonVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello
robertmo - your goal also xt / 386 switchable pc ?

I have even more advanced idea - don't know if it works 😳 -
8088 motherboard upgade with 286 add in card 😀 ..
then again upgrade the 286 add in with a card (perhaps) intel inboard 386/at 😮
8088 socket ->cabel -> to 286 upgrade (8bit isa)card, 286 cpu socket ->cabel-> 386 upgrade (16 bit isa)card .!!
The Inboard has 16 bit isa, the extra 8 bit (motherboard has 8bit) then connected to lets say 16 bit RAM-card with a cabel (like a old floppycabel) - this way having 8088 cpu AND 386 cpu with 16 bit isa and possible extended RAM on add on card 😁
...but again don't know if it works ??
...dont know any 286 upgrade card that fit my experiment ?
...AND doubt that I ever get all the add on card missing for this experiment 😒 🙁
/Cimonvg
note: my sound blaster is the ct1350b, but with drivers and manual 😀

Reply 43 of 50, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your idea to extend a 286 or 386 upgrade board to a 16-bit memory card might be possible. But having both a 286 and 386 upgrade card installed at the same time isn't going to work at all. The Inboard 386/AT won't work in an XT, because it expects the missing DMA and IRQ lines that the XT does not have (and some things are electrically in the wrong places).

It may be possible to use a 16-bit ISA memory card in the fashion that you described, but it would require quite a lot of work. I'm not sure that just connecting the extra address and data lines to the new CPU would do the trick. I think it would be much easier to design a proprietary memory module for an Inboard or SOTA card.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 44 of 50, by CimonVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello
..yaah guess you are right. Missing the DMA , IRQ and so on , that connects on 16 bit part 😖
- but did I have the parts , I would try connection it all rigth away 😀

My SOTA ram card , still not working. But the last few weeks been working on a Compaq Deskpro 386/33l , and noticed that it dont like flat "dallas" clock chip. In other words , it is almost dead because of the coms/clock-chip.
So my next move , removing the dallas chip from SOTA are place a new on !!

Looking forward to try my "new" TEAC mo drive. The disc's says "512" but I dont now if it is 512 Mbyte ?? This mo drive has a SCSI connection 😁 (and according a old catalog it was quite expensive 900$ ?!)
/Cimonvg

Reply 45 of 50, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 286 is at least better than the NEC (I think). And btw, Video7 is better than VGA.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 46 of 50, by CimonVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello
yes v20 a bit slower then 286. But I think the funny PC would be , one
that starts with a 8088 motherboard and then builds up to 386 (?) ( with a cpu-accelerator), there by covering from day one in PC history up to (?) 386=multi os systems 😀

/cimonvg

Reply 47 of 50, by Pascal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Amigaz wrote:

Here's an image file I made from my 3.5in. floppy

WARNING: Megalith.img.zip posted by Amigaz in this thread is infected by the Yankee Doodle virus. The SYS files are fine, but the EXE and COMs are all infected. The sizes posted by CimonVG are correct.

I tried reporting the post, but it just says "This post has already been reported."

I can't figure out how to contact Amigaz to get them to edit their post to include a warning (the SYS files are still useful).

Reply 48 of 50, by bitslasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CimonVG wrote on 2009-07-25, 19:39:
hello ..yaah guess you are right. Missing the DMA , IRQ and so on , that connects on 16 bit part :s-face: - but did I have the […]
Show full quote

hello
..yaah guess you are right. Missing the DMA , IRQ and so on , that connects on 16 bit part 😖

My SOTA ram card , still not working. But the last few weeks been working on a Compaq Deskpro 386/33l , and noticed that it dont like flat "dallas" clock chip. In other words , it is almost dead because of the coms/clock-chip.

Looking forward to try my "new" TEAC mo drive. The disc's says "512" but I dont now if it is 512 Mbyte ?? This mo drive has a SCSI connection 😁 (and according a old catalog it was quite expensive 900$ ?!)
/Cimonvg

Hi Cimon, it's been over a decade... but I have some questions about the Compaq Deskpro 386/33L. Seeing that you had one, and there is no way to DM you, was hoping replying here would send you an email that would find it's mark.

Reply 49 of 50, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bitslasher wrote on 2021-05-18, 20:58:
hello ..yaah guess you are right. Missing the DMA , IRQ and so on , that connects on 16 bit part :s-face: - but did I have the […]
Show full quote

hello

/Cimonvg

Hi Cimon, it's been over a decade... but I have some questions about the Compaq Deskpro 386/33L. Seeing that you had one, and there is no way to DM you, was hoping replying here would send you an email that would find it's mark.

>Last active
>06 Apr 2017, 00:40
I get that you try and contact him this way but I wouldn't count on an answer.🙁
Often it is better to make a new thread to discuss your issue so others can join in too and if you're hoping for an answer from a certain member quote them in the OP so they may get notified. Best of both worlds!😉
Fingers crossed you'll get the answers you're looking for.😃

Reply 50 of 50, by bitslasher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-05-19, 11:22:
>Last active >06 Apr 2017, 00:40 I get that you try and contact him this way but I wouldn't count on an answer.🙁 Often it is bet […]
Show full quote
bitslasher wrote on 2021-05-18, 20:58:
Show full quote

hello

/Cimonvg

>Last active
>06 Apr 2017, 00:40
I get that you try and contact him this way but I wouldn't count on an answer.🙁
Often it is better to make a new thread to discuss your issue so others can join in too and if you're hoping for an answer from a certain member quote them in the OP so they may get notified. Best of both worlds!😉
Fingers crossed you'll get the answers you're looking for.😃

That's a good idea. I think I'll do that. I was hoping maybe he'd get an email telling him someone replied to him, and I'd reach him that way. You're right though someone else surely has this system also.