Rockin' XT Clone

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 50, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CimonVG wrote:
hey just short note. Awaiting 2 jused boards :happyhappy: ATI mach32 with 512k vram and a MegaLITH ISA 16-Bit 8MB ! - think it […]
Show full quote

hey
just short note. Awaiting 2 jused boards 😁
ATI mach32 with 512k vram and a MegaLITH ISA 16-Bit 8MB !
- think it is something like Orchid Ramquest ? 😕
..time will tell.
merry christmas
/cimonvg

Yep, the DFI MegaLITH card is almost the same card as the Orchid one
I have one MegaLITH card myself with manual, driver disk etc..it's very easy to set up 😀

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 22 of 50, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know. This Megalith card looks a bit different to me. In what ways do you find the two to be similar?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 23 of 50, by CimonVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Admit not the same card , but same spec. and SIM memory at one end and a large chip in mittle.
On the image i saw off the Megalith card , the inscription were removed. Got me thinking , is it the same Xilinx -chip as Orchid Ramquest.
/cimonvg

Reply 24 of 50, by CimonVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello Amigaz
one question - a found a file called MEGAPLUS.ZIP
just wondering if it is the complete install-floppy for the DFI MegaLITH or
is some important files missing ?
MEGAPLUS.ZIP containing :
2.698 CMMDISK.SYS
2.926 EMSDISK.SYS
3.248 EXMDISK.SYS
47.309 INSTALL.EXE
21.856 MEGALITH.SYS
988 PSPLHELP.COM
3.342 PSPOOL.COM
3.629 PSPOOLA.COM
greetings CimonVG

Reply 25 of 50, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CimonVG wrote:
hello Amigaz one question - a found a file called MEGAPLUS.ZIP just wondering if it is the complete install-floppy for the DFI M […]
Show full quote

hello Amigaz
one question - a found a file called MEGAPLUS.ZIP
just wondering if it is the complete install-floppy for the DFI MegaLITH or
is some important files missing ?
MEGAPLUS.ZIP containing :
2.698 CMMDISK.SYS
2.926 EMSDISK.SYS
3.248 EXMDISK.SYS
47.309 INSTALL.EXE
21.856 MEGALITH.SYS
988 PSPLHELP.COM
3.342 PSPOOL.COM
3.629 PSPOOLA.COM
greetings CimonVG

I recognize some of the files, the installer is missing though.
Give me a couple of days and I'll provide you with a rip of the disk 😀

Reply 26 of 50, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's an image file I made from my 3.5in. floppy

Attachments

• Filename
    Megalith.img.zip
    File size
    373.05 KiB
    Downloads
    531 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 28 of 50, by CimonVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello A.C.
regarding driver for Corel-scsi-card.
Some search after drivers for BusLogic SCSI driver gave this result :
www(dot)cacgroup(dot)cz/podpora/ftp/Periferie/ostatn_/SCSICTRL/FUTRDOMA/
havent seen the site until today , but maybe this is what you are looking after ??

PS. pluged my "new" MegaLith card in my XT - and it didnt work 😒 , but in a IBM 315 (old server) it worked fine 😀
- have to look at my DTC scsi and/or my BIOS...
by the way have you look at www(dot)phatcode(dot)net/downloads.php?id=101
some sort of new BIOS for XT ? 😁
/cimonvg

Reply 29 of 50, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That XT BIOS looks interesting. I think I've found that before. The IDE boot support doesn't sound very useful, but he did include some stuff for 101 keyboards which might work out well for me. I should really burn a copy and try that on my XT to see if it fixes a bug with my model M.

Thanks for that link also. I've been looking for Corel SCSI for years.

Reply 30 of 50, by CimonVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello
technical question..
Does any of you know what CPU adon card (386,486..) , that DO leave real mode at any time ?
Read the other day that Intel inboard PC/xt do NOT run win3x in higher mode than real mode.. 😒 ..and a am getting the same impression of my Sota 386 adon card...
And okay you get better performance, but the funnie multiuser OS' types are the left out.

(still fighting my Megalith card , that is not working in my xt.. 😢 )
A havent got a lot of problems , but a lot of challenges 😁
/cimonvg

Reply 31 of 50, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

No, I think that's not quite correct. With the Intel Inboard/PC you can run a special patched version of Windows 3.0 in 386 enhanced mode. However, there is no such software patch for Windows 3.1.

...as far as I am aware though, you can still run windows 3.1 on an Inboard using "standard mode". "Real mode" of the 8088 only allows use of 640kb, but "standard mode" makes use of 286 protected mode which allows up to 16mb of physical memory and up to 1GB of virtual memory. As it turns out a lot of Windows 3.1 software can be run in standard mode anyway.

I am not exactly sure why the Inboard PC has problems running 32-bit code. Some people have claimed it is because of the 8-bit expansion bus. But I suspect the real reason may be because Intel used a batch of buggy 386 CPUs it had lying around. If you recall, the first 808386 CPUs suffered from a serious error while running 32-bit code. The 386 CPU on my inboard is one of these CPUs and thus marked "16bit S/W Only". I have heard that all Inboard PCs uses defective 386 chips like this. It is possible that replacing the CPU with a newer one could resolve this problem, but I have never had the time to try it myself.

Your SOTA 386 board is probably a different story. Most of those cards do not come with any extra memory (unlike the inboard which has 1MB standard). Therefore you would be limited to the 640k on the motherboard. Even though you have a real 386 CPU, without more than 640kb of RAM you cannot run anything higher than "real mode".

Reply 32 of 50, by CimonVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello Amigaz
just one quick question - have you got the DFI MegaLITH running on an old PC-XT ?
Have tried on 2 bare mortherboards with: vga,floppy,(with/without SCSI)(with and without SOTA i386-addon)
... but it will not pass the starting of the DFI MegaLITH -driver. PC is not dead , caps-lock and so on are responding.
By the way have configuret the swithes on DFI MegaLITH acording the software-install program.
😦
/cimonvg

Reply 33 of 50, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CimonVG wrote:
hello Amigaz just one quick question - have you got the DFI MegaLITH running on an old PC-XT ? Have tried on 2 bare mortherboard […]
Show full quote

hello Amigaz
just one quick question - have you got the DFI MegaLITH running on an old PC-XT ?
Have tried on 2 bare mortherboards with: vga,floppy,(with/without SCSI)(with and without SOTA i386-addon)
... but it will not pass the starting of the DFI MegaLITH -driver. PC is not dead , caps-lock and so on are responding.
By the way have configuret the swithes on DFI MegaLITH acording the software-install program.
😦
/cimonvg

Haven't tried it in any XT yet..only in AT machines
Currently using it in my IBM 5170

Reply 34 of 50, by CimonVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello
tanks for technical insight into Intel inbord. 😀
I am slowly looking around for different types of xt->286->386 upgrade cards - a bit slow moving job, since it is OLD spec. I am looking for..

just found another driver page for the corel card - dont know if is the same contents as I earlier mentioned ?
www(dot)petr(dot)isibrno(dot)cz/archive/shareware/dos/utility/cor_scsi(dot)20/

/cimonvg

Reply 35 of 50, by CimonVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just for the record - tried connecting my iomegaJaz (v1000s) to the scsi-chain. Read "pre recorded" "euro tools" disc without any driver installed 😀

any of you tried SIIG product's like SC-JE0012-dc,SC-JE0022-dc on XT's ??
/cimonvg

Reply 36 of 50, by CimonVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello AC.
Got a print of "corel SCSI! user manual" 258 pages of info about Corel card/driver. Main chapters : Introduction,Instalation,DOS and OS/2 Reference,Windows Reference,NetWare Reference,Troubleshooting.
Have you got any questions about switches , to this software, I could look it up ?
/cimonvg

Reply 37 of 50, by CimonVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello jake_friz
any news on the XT front ? 😀

For the record..
..awaiting "SOTA Memory 16i" , looking forward to testing
386 cpu + 16 RAM - on motherboard with 8 bit isa 😁 ... crossing fingers that it has'nt got any surprise jumpers ??? (lacking manual and so on). 😮
/cimonvg

Reply 38 of 50, by CimonVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

for the record ...

The old Memory 16i add on card , is not fully functional 😢
The SOTA 386sx boots but only 640kb memory are detectet.
Since I don't have any documentation , it is hard to tell where any jumper or software are needed ? 😒
...anyone got any thing , please replay 😀

Well my "new" TMC850m card are up and running, have to try my 73 Gbyte disk on of these days 😁
/Cimonvg

Reply 39 of 50, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

> Audio: Creative Sound Blaster Original

CT1310 AKA SB 1.0? You have a rare card if that's the case. Every long once in awhile a CT1320 has been sold on ebay, but I've never seen a CT1310 for sale. For that matter, never even seen pics of a SB 1.0.