VOGONS

First post, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I'm trying to build at least one system for the purpose of older Win95 and DOS games. The current rig I have semi-built (but not set up yet) has the following hardware:

Soyo SY-EH5 (baby-AT Super Socket7 board with AGP)
PentiumMMX 233
64MB PC66 SDRAM
STB Voodoo3 videocard (not sure if it's a 2000 or 3000, but is AGP)
4.7GB and 3.2GB harddrives
3.5" Floppy drive, 5.25" floppy drive

Now other hardware I have (and might use in place of the aforementione system, as I have an ATX case laying around) would include a GeForce4 440MX, a Pentium-III 500 with an Intel 440BX2 motherboard. The motherboard has 2 ISA slots, and built-in Yamaha YMF-744 audio.

For spare cards, I have an AWE32 PnP with 2MB of memory installed (need to get a pair of 16MB sticks if possible), a GUS Classic (why is it so hard to find a GUS?), an original Gravis Gamecard, a PCI ATI Xpert98 8MB videocard.

Now the problem with the current setup is that I HAVE to use either the AWE32 or the GUS. Due to the CPU socket placement and the front-panel headers on the board the other card will not fit. If need-be, I can pony up the cash for an AWE64 or AWE64 Gold as the card seems to be considerably shorter in length.

And yes, if I could, I would also get another GUS Classic as well as a PAS and all of the various other sound/MIDI cards to put in an old IBM PS/1 computer to turn it into a Win3.1 music machine. Of course, finding things such as an internal Roland daughtercard, or an LAPC-I is virtually impossible (is an LAPC-I better than having an external MT-32 box?).

But if you guys have any suggestions for me, let me know as I'd love to get some systems up for gaming goodness.

Reply 1 of 8, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NightSprinter wrote:

Now the problem with the current setup is that I HAVE to use either the AWE32 or the GUS. Due to the CPU socket placement and the front-panel headers on the board the other card will not fit. If need-be, I can pony up the cash for an AWE64 or AWE64 Gold as the card seems to be considerably shorter in length.

Is this your mainboard?

5eh.jpg
(Click for bigger image)

Looks decent, except for the CPU socket blocking three slots 😦

An AWE64 (Gold) would also collide with the front-panel headers, but you could try to bend them out of the way.

Reply 3 of 8, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NightSprinter wrote:

Damn, you're good. That is more or less the board, save for the fact mine is an Intel 430TX chipset.

Could well be that I got the wrong board, since almost all Soyo Socket7 boards look practically the same 😉
But are you sure about the Intel 430TX chipset? Because TX doesn't support AGP...

Reply 4 of 8, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or I got the board wrong. It is indeed that one, the SY-5EH. Any suggestions on what to replace it with that would allow me to use the following audio hardware:

SoundBlaster 16-MCD (yes, original one with Yamaha-OPL chip, and hardware-jumpered settings) with Yamaha DB60XG daughtercard

Gravis Ultrasound Classic 1MB

Creative Goldfinch EMU8000 add-on

I would to for extra stuff (like an LAPC-I), but I just cannot find them.. it was hard enough acquiring my GUS.

Reply 5 of 8, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That would mean a mainboard with at least three ISA slots. Four would be even better, since you might get a LAPC-I/SCC-1/Roland MPU interface card sometime (you'll never know 😉).

Most AT form factor Socket7 boards only come with three ISA slots and usually some of them are blocked by the CPU socket at half length.
Therefore I'd suggest getting an ATX form factor board, these often have three or four unobstructed ISA slots (depending on whether they have AGP).

Reply 6 of 8, by pianoman72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would suggest getting the MSI MS-5169 version 4 motherboard. I have it and it's been amazing and very versatile with Dos and Windows programs.

It has 3 ISA slots, 4 PCI, and one AGP. Also it can use both early Intel pentiums and AMD K6 processors, from 90mhz up to 550mhz (with AMD K6-2 and 3).

I use an Intel P54C 90mhz processor for DOS and early Glide games (using a Voodoo 1 card connected to an ATI Rage 3d).

I'm sure there might be better solutions out there, but if you want versatility, this motherboard solution is hard to beat.

Reply 7 of 8, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pianoman72 wrote:

I would suggest getting the MSI MS-5169 version 4 motherboard.

Nice one. Very similar to the renowned Asus P5A, but with one more ISA slot.

If you want to have four ISA slots (and sacrifice the AGP), I'd recommend the Asus TX97-XE.

Reply 8 of 8, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, here's the specs of the 486 you guys helped me get up and running:

System 1
CPU: Cyrix 486DX-100
RAM: 16MB EDO
Harddrive: 408MB
CD-ROM: 4x Reveal-brand LG GCD-R542B
Video: Trident 1MB PCI (upgradeable to 2MB)
Audio: Gravis Ultrasound 1MB, Sound Blaster 16 CT2290

And for fun..

System 2
CPU Pentium MMX-233
64MB PC66 memory
ES-1370 PCI Audio
S3 Trio-DX video with I believe 1MB 83MHz memory
CD-ROM
and I think an 8GB drive

Still want to make use of the old 386DX-33 and co-proc I have, and would love to upgrade the video on it, and I'm probably gonna slap the AWE32 into the MMX box.

Now my question is this: which card would be best to connect my Yamaha/NEC DB60XG daughterboard to? I ask because I'm going to try and bid on a "broken" (as in LCD doesn't work, much like on my MT-32) Roland SC-55 module.