VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Soyo SY-P4I 845PE ISA, is an industrial motherboard which contains three ISA slots and supports a Pentium socket 423 processor up to 3.06GHz. It also supports 2GB of DDR333 RAM. As this board has a limited market, it isn't cheap, but once you have it, what will you do with it? If you want an ultimate Windows XP box, don't bother. If you want an Ultimate Windows 9x box, there are much cheaper and better choices out there.

So what would you use those ISA slots for? If you had an ISA midi card like the LAPC-I or SCC-1, those slots would come in handy. However, you can do just as well to sell the cards and buy their standalone versions. What about that fan favorite, the Gravis Ultrasound? I think that most of those demos that the Ultrasound excelled at probably wouldn't run at even 1GHz, nevermind 3GHz. In Windows, the Ultrasound is just another midi device. Same goes for virtually any other card, a midi device and/or a DAC.

What about some real FM Synthesis or some DOS Gaming? A lot of DOS games will simply not run correctly or well at 1GHz. At those speeds, it seems to me to be too much of a hassle to get DOS games working.

Reply 1 of 7, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure I see the point also - unless you are short on space and can only have one machine it's probably best to build a seperate machine for each "era". An XT, 486 and a pentium or greater system are probably what you need for maximum compatibility.

The soyo one would be justifiable if you used it as your main machine and dual boot with win98 (you could cover 1997+ DOS games, plus all win98 games & later DOS GUS demos) - but it seems like a lot of effort and an unnecessary (and costly) compromise.

I'd probably just go with a BX board myself. Maybe an Asus p3b variant or Abit BF-6/BE-6.

Last edited by kreats on 2007-03-19, 13:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 7, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello!
If you are a musician, who is short of some MIDI outs, you could put in a Roland MIDI interface, like the MPU-IPC-T or MPU-401/AT.

But other than that, I don't really see any use for those slots.

Regards,
locutus

for more Retro-related tidbits follow me on X under @ChrisR3tro.

Reply 3 of 7, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, there is a massive amount of games (and I assume non-game as well,) out there that you might want an ISA card for. Mostly games that came out in the 90's though. They are DOS based games that require a system of at least a certain speed (50 mhz, 200 mhz, 300 mhz, whatever,) but don't care if what you have is even faster. The problem with these games is that they require DOS level drivers/access to your cards. I know, for a fact, that no Creative PCI sound card is really DOS compatable. I have also tried other (non-Creative,) PCI sound cards and haven't found one (yet,) that is. Yes, Creative put out a "driver" to give you DOS access to the sound card, but it is buggy, requires too much conventional memory, does not allow alternate memory managers, etc... You might as well not even use it. I can give some specific examples from personal experience:

Ultima Underworld: With Creative's DOS driver installed, whenever you type any key while pressing <SHIFT> the game imediately locks up. Remove the driver and it works just great (just no sound.) The only effect faster machines have on the game is the title screens go by real fast, it has no effect on the game itself. So, you just don't have time to read the screen that says "don't copy this game, it's copyrighted." (paraphrased if you haven't guessed.)

Ultima VI (all of them:) Will not run with emm386.exe installed, yet Creative's driver absolutely "requires" that it is installed, so forget playing the game with sound. Again, the game plays just fine on faster machines. I've actually played it on a 1.x Ghz machine with an ISA Soundblaster card. It played just fine.

Other DOS based games that I know don't mind faster machines: Noctropolis, Companions of Xanth, The Legacy: Realm of Terror, X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Wing Commander 3+, Privateer 1 & 2, I'm sure there are many many more, just cannot think of them off hand.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 4 of 7, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There also exists expensive industrial equipment on ISA cards.

Like a production machine that was built with a ISA computer. Now that computer broke and they need a replacement.

1+1=10

Reply 5 of 7, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FeedingDragon wrote:

Ultima VI (all of them:) Will not run with emm386.exe installed, yet Creative's driver absolutely "requires" that it is installed, so forget playing the game with sound. Again, the game plays just fine on faster machines. I've actually played it on a 1.x Ghz machine with an ISA Soundblaster card. It played just fine.

Pardon the nitpick, but you did mean Ultima VII, didn't you?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.