VOGONS

Building a new rig

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'm currently running 2003 (32bit) on it and I noticed some problems with games\DosBox (only in dynamic core).

Is it instability or does the dynamic core just not work then?
I'm looking for somebody with the latter problem to maybe switch
to a different memory allocation.

Reply 21 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With DEP turned on (or not excepted), core=auto.

DosBox will execute but whenever it switches to Dynamic then you will get the "Memory could not be read error) and DosBox will crash.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 22 of 29, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I'd expect it to react with "memory can't be executed" or so, but maybe
that's the same. Should behave the same if you use core=dynamic, right?
Got to see if mingw likes VirtualAlloc or something.

Reply 24 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wd wrote:

Can you compile dosbox sources on that system?

I don't have VS or the cygwin environment setup in Windows and I don't have Linux installed yet...

Gotta work this weekend so hopefully next week.

Reply 25 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I've been fighting these 4 sticks of RAM ever since I stuck them in this motherboard. Every single time I though they were stable....they weren't. For instance I could set the timings to 5-5-5-15 2T @ 667 and run Memtest for 6+hrs with no errors....reboot and try to boot Vista..Nope...BSOD. W-T-F. Odd thing is that sometimes Vista would boot fine and other times it would not....and I could run Nvidia's memory stability test for hours.... Mabye the voltage going to all 4 memory slots isn't steady? That's the only thing I can figure because tonight I ripped out 2 sticks and I was able to bump the memory up to 825mhz with an FSB of 1650mhz and processor speed of 3300mhz (8x multiplier) at 4-4-4-12-2T timings!. Crazy.

Currently running an Nvidia stability test in Vista since Memtest doesn't seem to be doing a damn thing whereas with Vista I could immediately tell when it didn't like the memory. I don't know if it's the motherboard or the OS but I've never had this much luck with overclocking and Windows OS's. Seriously this is crazy. I must have BSOD'd vista like 50+ times, Read memory errors in Vista, Hangs in Vista, heck my last try before I left 2 sticks in there I couldn't even load the Vista Boot menu because it said the files were corrupted. (Memory problem again)....yet it still boots and the registry never got corrupted.

I think I'll stick it out with "only" 2gb of memory until the end of this year (unless I get anxious....which I probably will) and then upgrade to a bearlake level chipset with DDR3.....although I highly doubt 4gb of DDR3 memory will be very cheap even at the end of the year....

From the benchmarks I've seen DDR2 performs the same as DDR3 on the new chipsets right now (better memory controller), I guess we'll see how fast DDR3 really gets later this year/early next year.

Reply 26 of 29, by flux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How much did that thing cost 😲 now you can run those atari emulators at full speed 😁

Bernard: You have a machine whose sole function is producing toxic waste?
Dr. Fred: You can't have a high-tech laboratory like this and NOT spew poisonous filth! All the other mad scientists would laugh!

Reply 28 of 29, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure it's occurred to you but you have tried another OS entirely? Say, Windows XP x64 Edition?

If memtest86 is stable but the OS isn't, maybe Vista unmentioned bugs are the cause of your irritation...

Windows XP x64 has proper DirectX and 64bit support for games (not including the 64bit version of Lost Planet demo which seems to exclusively look for Vista) like HL2, Far Cry, UT2k4 and so on. This links to the 120day trial edition which is fully operational - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/facts/trial.mspx

Give it a go I guess. Good luck bro.

Reply 29 of 29, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Updated my specs. Removed a 150gb Raptor and a 500gb WD and replaced them with 2x VelociRaptors in RAID1.

I had them rebuilding while installing Windows 2008 and before I went to bed they had already rebuilt! So roughly 6pm to 10:30pm while installing software and setting up. Never seen RAID1 rebuild so fast. Also these drives are faaaaaaaaaasst and all I've done so far is just play around in the Windows GUI and copy files around.