VOGONS

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, maybe I'm wrong, but after seeing the specs being posted here, it seems to me that many people pick Voodoo3 (to play GLide games) for their legacy system.

I just wonder though: why Voodoo3? Why not Voodoo5? If I'm not mistaken, Voodoo3 is as "bad" as Voodoo5 in regards to compatibility with early GLide games / DOS GLide games --you still need V2 or V1 for such games-- so I think backward compatibility is not the issue here.

That being said, I'm one of those guys who did not buy Voodoo3 the first time it came around --favoring TNT2 during that time. Of course, that was until I realized that I still loved my GLide games running in GLide instead of Direct3D; making me buy Voodoo5 afterwards. Thus, I never experienced Voodoo3 to appreciate its capabilities.

So again, I wonder: what are the pluses of V3 compared to V5?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 6, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it's mainly because a V5 is more difficult to get, more expensive, doesn't fit into every rig and tends to break more easily than a V3.
If you only use it for Glide games, the only advantage of a V5 is the antialiasing. Other things like faster speed and more RAM are not so important in this case. I'm not sure about compatibility with old Glide games, but I doubt there is much difference between these two.

dh4rm4 wrote:

V3 doesn't require external power? It is more compatible with Glide libraries? It was actually released and sold in working order?

These arguments only count for the Voodoo5 6000. The "normal" models only need power from a molex connector and are running stable if you keep the fans in working order.

Reply 4 of 6, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:

I think it's mainly because a V5 is more difficult to get, more expensive, doesn't fit into every rig and tends to break more easily than a V3.

My V5 is still working until today, but of course, I never mod neither overclock my V5.

5u3 wrote:

Other things like faster speed and more RAM are not so important in this case.

Because GLide games are pretty much outdated (except Unreal Tournament) that speed difference between V5 and V3 doesn't really matter, am I correct?

Anyway, IIRC V3 can be overclocked faster than V5.

5u3 wrote:

I'm not sure about compatibility with old Glide games, but I doubt there is much difference between these two.

It's also my impression all the time; that "compatibility gap" of GLide games starts with Banshee (and V3 is based on Banshee). Generally, I think GLide games that work with V3 should work with V5. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 6, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Locutus wrote:

By the way: Are there any Voodoo3 drivers for Windows 3.11?

No, only some kind of Vesa 2.0 implemenation in regular win3.x drivers is exist.
In example - http://www.japheth.de/Download/svgaptch.zip