VOGONS

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

After much pain and anguish hunting down drivers all morning I finally got Windows 98SE running with all drivers! Woohoo!

Dell Latitude D505
Processor: Pentium M 1.6Ghz
Ram: 512MB DDR
Video: Intel Extreme Graphics 2 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics
Modem: 56k
Network: Intel Pro/100
Broadcom 802.11 MultiBand
Sound: Sigmatel C-Major Audio

The disk controller, USB, Wireless, modem drivers were a bitch to find/setup.

Disk controller was conflicting with another resource so I had to reassign resources. (Any length disk process would hang the USB mouse until I fixed this, highly annoying)

On D505 when you look in Device Manager there may be an exclamation mark on the IDE controller. If so it's because the I/O address BFA0-BFAF is conflicting with the DMA controller. Change the address to FFF0-FFFF and it should work fine.
Don't forget to enable DMA on your HD/CDROM in "CDROM" and "Disk Drives".

One of the USB ports wouldn't work so I had to hunt around and look for similar USB chipsets. I found a desktop USB driver and installed it.

Had to go digging around Conexants site for the Modem driver and install it manually.

Finally wireless was a real mess. HP stopped providing Windows 9x drivers for the Broadcom wireless so I downloaded BroadCom drivers from gigaflex for their PCMCIA wireless cards. Unfortunately it would install but the driver would not work. So I found another .sys driver from WildPacket (that they got from BroadCom) stuff it into the gigaflex folder and install it! I now have wireless! Too bad it doesn't support WPA.

So I now have a laptop that I can test 9x games on and is fully support in all of it's hardware! Now I need to work on the D510....

Drivers
9x/NT4-2008
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wIZT4XwRTYs … qMwx7lEE9yY7qin

Attachments

• Filename
    BroadcomWireless.zip
    File size
    3.28 MiB
    Downloads
    326 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    100VEWired.zip
    File size
    1.23 MiB
    Downloads
    243 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    ConexantModem.zip
    File size
    2.96 MiB
    Downloads
    215 downloads
    File license
Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-05-06, 23:51. Edited 4 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've received at least two PM concerning the D505 in the last 6 months so updated the op.

I did try to haxor some newer video drivers for the D505 for Windows 7 (D510 drivers) about two weeks ago but no luck.
You might have issues with not being able to use OpenGL in Windows 7. (unverified)

Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 3, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Neat.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port