VOGONS

First post, by CanisL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, new around here. Nice to see you all.
Anyway.
Saved 3 computers when a library needed them dumped at the scrap-yard.

What I had in mind was a computer that can run the Build-game Blood, Jane's Fleet Defender GOLD, CyClones and Future Shock/SkyNET in 640x480 (last hopefully without slowdowns and to many crashes). And I can go from there to even older games..

First I've got 2 different PCI video-cards I can't find any good info on. They sound the same, but look different.
S3-Trio/Virge 765v2 [M50-02] stamped ExpertColor, brown chipset slots are empty.
S3 Trio64v2/DX [Q5C3CD 86C775] stamped Perx with chipsets installed in the brown sockets (What are those, expanded memory or something else?)
Got a duplicate ExpertColor 765 [S3 Trio64v+] if somebody needs one, gotta check if it still runs though.

Then I've got the choice of either a Pentium I 200 Mhz or an MMX version same speed. Also one AMD k6-2 350Mhz.

The 3 motherboards I took the parts from have got these old Din-5 AT-KB connections on the back and one connection for a PS/2 mouse. My own old MS-5169 I tried the parts on won't start at all.
Any stability issues between SIMM or DIMM memory in dos-games?

MS 5164/5184/5146.

Got any other advice I would be more then thankful.

Hope someone knows enough to help me build a nice Old-school computer.
Thanks for a cool forum!

Reply 1 of 2, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi and welcome to the board!

CanisL wrote:

First I've got 2 different PCI video-cards I can't find any good info on. They sound the same, but look different.
S3-Trio/Virge 765v2 [M50-02] stamped ExpertColor, brown chipset slots are empty.
S3 Trio64v2/DX [Q5C3CD 86C775] stamped Perx with chipsets installed in the brown sockets (What are those, expanded memory or something else?)

The Virge card has rudimentary 3D functions, but they aren't supported by many games, and often are slower than software rendering (the Virge was nicknamed "3D decelerator" because of this 😉).
For DOS games, both of these should perform identically, since they share the same 2D core (which is excellent btw.).
The chips in the brown sockets are memory chips, most likely expanding video RAM from 1 MB to 2 MB.

CanisL wrote:

The 3 motherboards I took the parts from have got these old Din-5 AT-KB connections on the back and one connection for a PS/2 mouse. My own old MS-5169 I tried the parts on won't start at all.
Any stability issues between SIMM or DIMM memory in dos-games?

MS 5164/5184/5146.

These are the chipsets on your boards:
MS-5146: SIS 5571
MS-5164: ALI Aladdin IV
MS-5184: VIA MVP3

The MS-5184 seems to be the best of the bunch. It should have similar features like your old MS-5169 (Aladdin V). Try the K6 in there, if it works, it should make a helluva DOS box.
As for the memory: There is not much difference between both types when you're playing DOS games, take whatever runs stable.

Reply 2 of 2, by CanisL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the helpful answer.
And this is what I ended up with.
I took the MSI 5184, hacked away the AT/XT connection for KB, soldered an PS/2 there instead, and what do you know, it works perfectly.
quickly in with the Hardware.

CPU: AMD k6-2 350 Mhz
AGPcard: Voodoo 3 2000
PCIcard: S364v2/DX
Soundcard: Vibra 16
Ram: 128 MB PC-133

And I had to go all nostalgic and install MS-Dos 6.22 with Windows 3.11 Workgroup. Thank god for DosBox refreshing onces memory.
Only problem I have is with the network, have to find an easy way to transfer files to it. Patches and stuff.
All three diskette-stations are broken. Might have to get a second drive setup with Win 95 for a slightly easier setup.