VOGONS

First post, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hi, I'm looking at spending 200$ (AUD) or less on a video card and don't know exactly what to get, theres not much point in getting a geforce 8xx0 video card because a new direct x standard is expected soon.

I've looked and still have no idea what would provide equal or better performance, what i do know is that a video card with 256mb memory with a 256bit memory interface is good.

I'm after something that specializes in the direct x 9c area and I'm not after SLI (tho its likely impossible to get a video card that lacks SLI or crossfire now a days.)

----------
system specs are listed @ rate my rig ;)

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 1 of 2, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Get an 8600GTS as they can be had pretty damn cheaply and regardless of what the reviews say they do outperform the 7800GT by a fair margin. I know, I just upgraded from a Leadtek 7800GT reference design to a Gigabyte 8600GTS fanless and this card outperforms my 7800GT in all areas. Don't get stuck with a DX9c card as driver support is beginning to dwindle.

Reply 2 of 2, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes, im not after a direct x 9 only card, im just after one that is known to have the least compatibility issues with direct x 9 and older. (i play crap loads of old games ya know 😉

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website