VOGONS

First post, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I remember when I was a kid my friend replaced a 286's on-board soldered CMOS battery (the black solid rectangle piece of hardware with usually a white clock painted on).
I remember he did that following a guide he found over the Internet.
Now my old 286's CMOS battery died and that makes my hard disk not usable.
Does anybody know how to replace that or have hints or links on how to do that, considering I don't have a dos boot floppy here and I can't pass data from my laptop to my old 286 where I am now?
thanks

Reply 1 of 13, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Does your mainboard also have the DS1287 (black block with white clock) or maybe an extra battery (blue/green cylinder on board or black plastic box connected to it by a 4-pin)? The latter would be much easier to replace.

1+1=10

Reply 6 of 13, by QBiN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you live near a Fry's Electronics? They normally carry a few Dallas 12887's in stock per store. In many cases, the Dallas RTC is socketed, making it easy to replace. If it's soldered, it's tougher because of the amount of pins, but not impossible with a little patience, a good soldering iron, and a good solder-sucker and wick.

I have a Pentium Motherboard that uses the 12887. At one point, I had to replace it, and it was much easier than everyone made seem.

Let me take a look at some of my component catalogs too... I may be able to find a current mail-order SKU for you.

Reply 7 of 13, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I live in Europe. I didn't try searching for the DS1287 on eBay. Where I am at the moment it's very difficult to even find a 3V coin battery. 🙁 I think I'll delay that when I go back home.
At soldering I'm a disaster and I don't even have the right solderer so I guess if I find a DS1287 I'll bring the 'patient' home with me and have my friend de-solder and solder the new one.
That would be the most preferable solution for me because I would like my old 286 to look like it was.
Thanks for the tips.

On the other hand.... how long would a DS1287 battery last considering that computer would stay turned off for months?

Reply 9 of 13, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What about these ones?

http://anonym.to/http://cgi.ebay.it/MODULI-DI … VQQcmdZViewItem

I'll have my friends buying them for me, then possibly desoldering the old one and soldering the new one

Reply 10 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I had a look at the pictures and thought "What a ugly hack". Instead of molesting the chip like that I would try to find a pair of very very thin wires that I could wrap 5-6 times tightly around the pins. When the chip is put back in the socket, I would hope the wires would still be safely connected. Then the battery can safely be placed somewhere nearby.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 13, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

@MiniMax:
The pins you need don't stick out at the bottom. They are connected to a little battery in the block above the chip. Thus you have to 'open' the block...

@butterfly: It should not have been lying around for years (I didn't bother to read that overcrowded ebay site)

1+1=10

Reply 12 of 13, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

It should not have been lying around for years (I didn't bother to read that overcrowded ebay site)

"It" being my old 286? Years ago my mother imposed me to make that "ugly thing" disappear, so I arranged to bring it to our house in the countryside. The battery discharged 'cos the computer is not very much on, that is only when I go there and use it mainly like a big fat retrogaming and sometimes retrocomputing console