Nvidia 4200 TI
2 Voodoo 2's in SLI configuration
Aureal Vortex2 Superquad 2500 with a
DB60xg on the waveblaster header
AWE64 Gold
SCC-1A ISA Card
CM-32L
Windows 98 SE

Works like a charm. I also use this computer to play some older dos games in dosbox, and this works fine. Thing is I have these wonderful retro pieces of equipment hooked to a machine that is too fast to run the games they were designed for (especially sierra and lucasarts games). I was trying to think of a very economic way to rectify this situation.

I have an old Micron ClientPro MRE lying around with a socket 7 430TX motherboard in it. It has an old Pentium I 233 MMX chip in it. This still seems a bit fast for 1992 and earlier dos games. Granted the earliest dos games I have are SQ1, QFG1, and Conquests of Camelot, but I have plenty of pre 1992 vga games.

I found out that intel made a 133 MMX socket 7. Here are a few that are on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MMX-133-SL26W-2-45V_W0QQi … 7QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … :MEWA:IT&ih=019

Would this be a good sweetspot for this machine? It would be fast enough to play newer dos games (WC3,WC4, System Shock) which I own, and it seems that it would be slow enough for my cherished sierra and lucasarts games collection.

Comments please? Would this cpu be to fast or slow or just right? Thank you.

Reply 2 of 17, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here ya' go:

jan feb mar apr may jun jul aug sep oct nov dec
1981 pc
mda
cga
speaker
hgc
1983 xt jr
ecga
pcjr sound
1984 at tandy 1000
ega
tga
tandy sound
hgc+
covox speech thing
1987 ps/2
mcga
vga
8514/a
hicc
cms
innovation ss-2001
adlib
mt32
1988 tandy sl/tl
etga
tandy dac
lapc-I
imfc
sb
1989 486
covox sound master
vesa
1990 ps/1
disney sound source
sb1.5
xga
thunderboard
pas
sb2.0
pro1
scc-1
xga-2
pro2
pas+
pas16
adlib gold
sb16
gus
wss
tm fcs mk1
tm wcs mk1
1993 pentium
scc-1b
Show last 14 lines
    gusmax
awe32
sc88
soundscape
1995 mmx pro
guspnp
soundscape elite
db50xg
3dfx voodoo
awe64
sw60xg
1997 pii
Last edited by ih8registrations on 2008-02-12, 23:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 17, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a list I put together. That rendition isn't included isn't an "error", and changed voodoo to 96 from wiki. As for "so many errors" you say are there, point them out.

Reply 6 of 17, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I posted to help 2Mourty, not prove a point, whatever point that would be. The release matrix above has been derived by scouring the net from multiple sources. I'm confidant in my search results and don't believe your claim of seeing many errors, but I invite you to point out any errors you do see.

Reply 7 of 17, by Silent Loon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would this cpu be to fast or slow or just right?

I've read somewhere that the MMXs have a locked multiplier. Don't know if this is true - but you could try it out with your mmx233.
If it is locked I would recommend a "normal" Pentium 200 (P54C; non-MMX). Depending on the mobo you could slow it down to a Pentium 75 for old stuff, whereas a P 200 should be enough for most games published until 1997. I also think that a "slowed" P54C only needs passive cooling.

Reply 10 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Pentium-S 133MHz based system. System 7 socket. Can play all games quite nice, but, still too fast for certain games older games. Even with the turbo switch off, Sierra games can't identify the SB card for digital output. Otherwise, quite cool. Just don't run very old arcade games on it.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 12 of 17, by tuyen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

133 MMX was in lots of notebooks.

No...it wasn't.
The mobile version of the MMX processor started at the Pentium 200.
The desktop version of the MMX processor was the P55C, which started at the 166 MHz processor (officially) but then Intel decided to make a 150 MHz version of the P55C also. Nothing below the 150 had the MMX instruction set.

My mother had a Dell Latitude LM with one.

No, your mother had no such thing.

Reply 13 of 17, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reality begs to differ:

http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL27C.html

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 14 of 17, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tuyen wrote:
No...it wasn't. The mobile version of the MMX processor started at the Pentium 200. The desktop version of the MMX processor was […]
Show full quote

No...it wasn't.
The desktop version of the MMX processor was the P55C, which started at the 166 MHz processor (officially) but then Intel decided to make a 150 MHz version of the P55C also. Nothing below the 150 had the MMX instruction set.

Anonymous Coward wrote:

Doh! Nice first post tuyen. 😲
Perhaps you want to delete your account and start fresh?

Reply 15 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tuyen wrote:
No...it wasn't. The mobile version of the MMX processor started at the Pentium 200. The desktop version of the MMX processor was […]
Show full quote

No...it wasn't.

Heh. I'm not just spouting nonsense, as a web search would quickly tell you and as Anonymous Coward said too. It was a Dell Latitude LM M133ST. I actually upgraded the notebook from 133 to its max of 166 at one point. Found a cheap processor module online.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems … spmmx/specs.htm
http://www.sandpile.org/impl/p55.htm

I'm curious as to how you came to the conclusion that the mobile PMMX started at 200 MHz.

Here's what the 166 MHz MMX module looked like. I sold the notebook for parts years ago after my bro fried the mobo.
img1679go2.th.jpgimg1681ln3.th.jpg

Reply 16 of 17, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry I have not posted in a while, espcially since some of you have written some pretty interesting stuff on this topic.

Unfortunately I have not been able yet to procure a 133 mmx. On ebay some guy in china is selling them, but he is selling them as collectables not working chips. I don't want to take the gamble, yet.

I had the brilliant idea last night of underclocking my 233 mmx chip to 133 and seeing how it worked. My motherboard for this old dosbox is and Aopen AP5VM with 128mb of fpm edo ram. I set all the jumpers and voila I had a 133 mmx chip.

Everything so far has run fine, all of the sierra and lucasarts games and more importantly anything that uses my cm-32 runs fine, all of the custom sounds load when the game starts.

And as a bonus I can use Zsnes dos at playable framerates because of the mmx instruction set. Granted I have to use mono sound but it almost reminds me of the old days when I played through chronotrigger on ZSNES on an old 486.....

😀

Reply 17 of 17, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that reminded me that I actually tried to overclock the P133MMX TCP module. There are some spots that look like jumpers, so I got out the old soldering iron and went at it. Only managed to underclock it though, and I'm not sure that it was the multiplier that was changing. So I gave up. 😉