VOGONS

First post, by serimar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have gotten the old school game bug and was making a list to build a pc to run the games made from the 80s-90s. but i would like some advice on if im throwing too much power at it. current specs as follows.

asus p5-99vm
amd k6-2 afx 450mhz
512 pc100 sdram
2 voodoo 2 sli
awe32
40gb ata100
24x cdrom
1.44mb floppy
win98se

Need some help on picking a good 2D card. also was wondering if the dos that is with 98se would be good enough for the dos games of the 80s or if i should do a dual boot with dos. im also worried that the 450mhz and 512mb might be too much power for the old dos games. dont want to really have to use a slow down program or dosbox with this rig. i can get my hands on a p166. dont know all the specs on it since i aint had my hands on it just yet. thanks in advance.

P.S. i just found this board today and i must say im impressed with alot of the rigs and the help that is given here.

Reply 1 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Win98 should be fine. I would not change it. About the speed - if it really is a problem for some games, I assume you can go into the BIOS and reduce the clock speed?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 5, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you'll be fine....but some games made before 1994 like Wing Commander 1 & 2, Ultima VII you will have serious speed problems...even on a slow 486
I recommend a Virge based gfx for your 2D needs, or a matrox millenium II

If you want to play these older games I recommend you getting a Roland MT32 compatible device so you're not stuck with FM synth only since these games had no General Midi support

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 3 of 5, by serimar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks for the tips. ill check ebay for the extra parts. think i might just get that 166 as well incase any early games run too fast on the 450. should be able ot down clock it to a decent slow speed. man never did i think i would be looking up parts for a old pc build. and im having to read on everything. want a new pc built no problem i can do it with my eyes closed. want a retro rig well i need to read some more. any suggestions on a mt32 device to look out for ive read on the lapc-i maybe ill luck up and find one. or even a mt32 it self or the cm32-l i hear is better.

Reply 4 of 5, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
serimar wrote:

thanks for the tips. ill check ebay for the extra parts. think i might just get that 166 as well incase any early games run too fast on the 450. should be able ot down clock it to a decent slow speed. man never did i think i would be looking up parts for a old pc build. and im having to read on everything. want a new pc built no problem i can do it with my eyes closed. want a retro rig well i need to read some more. any suggestions on a mt32 device to look out for ive read on the lapc-i maybe ill luck up and find one. or even a mt32 it self or the cm32-l i hear is better.

🤣, just my thoughts....in the past I binned lots of parts which I regret I did because I need them i9n my jurassic systems

Things can't have been easy back in the early, mid 90's....there were no real standards

Try and get a lapc-I if you can or a CM32L since it has extra sfx which games like Ultima Underworld use...not sure if you can use the midi connector on a plan soundblaster to run an MT32 or CM32
I use my CM32L with the midi output from my Roland SCC-1

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 5 of 5, by serimar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

not too long ago i had a friend give me a tower that was old and at the time i needed something newer. but it had a s3 virge card in it. wishing now i still had the thing i left it when i moved. nice thing is i hear one of our local pc shops has vintage parts so im gonna check them out sure they wont be wanting an arm and a leg for there parts since they dont know there is a small market for em and see em as just a ugly paper weight. so i may be making a post with a few extra parts if anyone would want em. im not tryin to get rich off it so someone may get a good deal.