VOGONS

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Latest 486 box

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/aea67d3a4cddb … dde164fee692c2/

Have red alot of awful stuff about the CPU in this machine and motherboard, apparently the 486DX 40mhz + mobo's were really troublesome and they were only on the market for some months during 1993 but I've experienced the oposit with the machine.
It's rock solid, has enough speed to run FPS games like Dark Forces and when in non turbo mode (20mhz) it runs troublesome games like Wing Commander 1 at perfect speed...actually running WC 1 on one of the pics 😀

The machine is equipped with this hardware:

VLB I/O controller
VLB Cirrus Logic CL5424 1mb gfx card
Sound Blaster 16 CT1770 + Waveblaster II (thanks goes to 5u3 for this one)
Gravis Ultrasound Max rev 1.8
8 gig HD
4x Cd-rom

I can imagine this machine will show some problems if I pester it with Windows 95 which other 40mhz fsb VLB machines I owned had problems with

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 4 of 7, by v0g0ns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, cool. I have a packard bell 486DX 66mhz with a 400mb HD and 8mb RAM with windows 3.11 that i bought in 1994. It was old then already. Do you use your 486 for productive work? What could I do with mine? The computer still works, sometimes it will give a cmos error after not being powered on in a long time, but i just power it off and back on and it will load up to windows 3.11.

Rise of the Triad forum

Reply 5 of 7, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey, nice to hear the Waveblaster arrived fine!

That's a neat VLB system you built there, those things have become quite rare nowadays.

VLB components work at 40 MHz almost every time, it's the 50 MHz rigs that caused major trouble. Some companies sold 486DX/50 (not DX2/50) CPUs together with hand-picked VLB boards and video cards, but 50 MHz was more than the VLB specs allowed, so those rigs operated on the brink of disaster.

Reply 6 of 7, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:

That's a neat VLB system you built there, those things have become quite rare nowadays.

VLB components work at 40 MHz almost every time, it's the 50 MHz rigs that caused major trouble. Some companies sold 486DX/50 (not DX2/50) CPUs together with hand-picked VLB boards and video cards, but 50 MHz was more than the VLB specs allowed, so those rigs operated on the brink of disaster.

That means, if you want to make an external midibox. Like this guy has done.

my little Midi box

With wave blaster, and other old soundcards. In the mix, then you should make it go with a 40 megahertz machine ? sorry if my English is a bit gibberish. But I hope I get my message through.

Reply 7 of 7, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:

The Wave Bladter works perfect, it sounds exactly like the AWE32's midi...so not top notch midi sounds, hehe...too much treble

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327