VOGONS

First post, by piksi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm a DOS game enthusiast myself, grew up with IBM PS/2 and still fancy many DOS games over newer releases. Although Dosbox is awesome I prefer genuine hardware whenever I can. I have a big collection of AT hardware in various phases of decay, and a big problem with old hardware has been its reliability. Especially those cheap chinese PSU's that were in almost every 2/3/486 are prone to blow up and contain usually no proper overvoltage/short circuit protection to save components from frying.

I and my friend who is an electronics engineer came up with an idea to remedy a part of the equation while still retaining the original functionality of old hardware. The parts that can most easily be replaced with new more reliable hardware are hard disks and psu's.

We are in the stages of putting together a pcb adapter board that allows one to use good quality ATX power supplies with soft/hard off with AT motherboards. The board is quite cheap to produce and doesn't require complex components (like IC's) for functioning. The benefits would be the higher load handling capability of new ATX PSU's and also better tolerances on voltages (and the option to use soft/hard off with a jumper).

How many of you would be initially interested in buying such board? We are not making profit with this, and the PCB design would be released as GPL.

Our next project is an IDE adapter that allows replacing old unreliable hdd's with an USB memory stick or other usb mass storage.

Reply 3 of 13, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some useful items on ebay...

- 24 to 20 pin PSU adapter (no soft power, though).
- Three Compact Flash to IDE adapter. Some of those allow only one CF card (but you may choose if it is master or slave), other adapters allow two CF cards.

There are plenty of these items on ebay, I put the first items I found.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 13, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> The benefits would be the higher load handling capability of new ATX PSU's
> and also better tolerances on voltages

Why would nowadays chinese power supplies be better than the old ones? It's more depending on luck and on how much you are willing to pay...

A nice thing would be a protection cirquit that kills the bad power supply and saves the other components 😉

1+1=10

Reply 5 of 13, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
piksi wrote:

Our next project is an IDE adapter that allows replacing old unreliable hdd's with an USB memory stick or other usb mass storage.

What would be amazing, it's an usb to scsi converter
USB mass storage protocol works by embedding scsi commands in usb bulk-only transport

- Your old crap can do nothing
plug an usb pendrive in the front of your 286 and boot from it
- My 286 is still up do date, it works with usb devices
then make it detect your usb dvd burner

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 7 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote:

24 to 20 pin PSU adapter (no soft power, though).

This is no ATX to AT adapter, but an ATX 24-pin to 20-pin plug converter, which won't help in this case.

My 486 runs from an ATX power supply. The idea to make an adapter board is neat, but a bit over-engineered and probably still quite expensive for the purpose. After all, you only need the mainboard connectors from the old AT PSU and some wire terminals to connect any ATX PSU to an AT board.

I don't think those old (mostly taiwanese) AT PSUs were worse than modern cheap ATX PSUs. The main reason why they often fail is the simple fact that they are 10 - 20 years old.

Reply 8 of 13, by piksi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The idea to make an adapter board is neat, but a bit over-engineered and probably still quite expensive for the purpose.

Well, the actual part costs are neglible (i.e. ATX socket plug is ~0,3€ etc), the only bigger cost is the PCB and it will range down to ~4€ per board with 20-30 copies and drop down with more copies. Oh, and as 5u3 said, simply using a pin adapter won't be enough to make it work.

I don't think those old (mostly taiwanese) AT PSUs were worse than modern cheap ATX PSUs. The main reason why they often fail is the simple fact that they are 10 - 20 years old.

Well, judging from my experience the rise in the appreciation of PSU quality has pushed the manufacturers to develop more robust units (even though it's true that many cheap ones are dangerous crap). But even if they're equal in quality with the old AT supplies, there is still an advantage in using this kind of adapter: you don't have to risk using 20 year old PSU, you can buy a reasonable price ATX PSU with protection circuits and better voltage tolerances and use this board to hook it up and save your old mobo and cpu from frying with an old PSU 😀

And we're not interested in using CF adapters, USB is much more versatile, with a proper firmware one can do miracles with an USB controller with IDE interface. We might possibly do something for the XT computers lacking ATA support. Perhaps SCSI oslt.

Reply 9 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't waste your time with making a USB adapter that connects through IDE on an XT class system. There are very few IDE controllers available for XTs, and those only support up to 512mb. USB flash interface for SCSI would be much more useful.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Moogle! wrote:

Too bad he doesn't ship outside the US 😵

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327