VOGONS

First post, by wilddragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

had been looking at everyone's system specs for quite a long while and only now finally decided to register 😀

any suggestion on a super socket 7 board with 512KB/1MB onboard cache and agp or about any would do fine? Only thing in particular would be that I would like 100mhz fsb support

this is what I was thinking of to start with 😁
amd k6-2 350-500mhz
128mb or more of ram
liteon ide cdrw taken from older pc
3dfx voodoo3 3500TV (call me odd if you want 😜 )
aureal pci sound card
generic via-chipset firewire pci
any 3com ethernet card
usr sportster 56K modem (isa or external, depends on which one I can scourge first)

haven't decided about hds (especially as ide or scsi) but will just wait to see on that

well thats all I can think to say now till next time

Reply 1 of 3, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, and welcome to the forums,

If you want stable 100 Mhz FSB and AGP support, there are only two chipsets to consider: ALI Aladdin V and VIA Apollo MVP3.

The most popular Aladdin V boards are the Asus P5A / P5A-B and the Gigabyte GA-5AA / GA5-AX. They are quite easy to find and easy to use.

MVP3 boards need a bit more work to get running smoothly, but are said to be faster than Aladdin V when fine-tuned correctly. Some enthusiast boards, like the DFI K6XV3+ / K6BV3+ and Epox EP-MVP3G series were offered with 2MB cache, however, these versions have become rare and very expensive by now.

BTW, a Voodoo3 is a perfect match for a K6 system, nothing odd about that 😉

Reply 2 of 3, by wilddragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks 5u3, I'll certainlly look out for these two chipsets

and thanks for the comment, its not like there are even that many places online where voodoo's are actually welcomed 😁
(I need to tell that to one particular person who seem to think that even the ati rage's are better than any 3dfx voodoo's .. or maybe not and just leave him in his own ignorance 😜 )

this probably actually would be interesting when I get the wish k6 rig built, two rigs where one has a 3500TV and the other has a diamond viper 550 😀

now to think about it the viper 550 has outlines for additional components and on the bottom in about same area 'A/V IN' text is silked on, did anyone know which card model this likely would had been?

Reply 3 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
5u3 wrote:

Some enthusiast boards, like the DFI K6XV3+ / K6BV3+

I have both and both died. Well one freezes at DMI pool verification at POST, the other is simply burned out. If you're looking for a system that will last more than 2 years I personally do NOT EVER recommend DFI.

A Geforce2 GTS usually deals the seal for a k6-2 system, but personally i've never been able to exceed 800 3dmarks in 3dm01 (though i've seen some scores for a P2 233 getting 1,700 3dmarks... which baffles me how it got that much)

apsosig.png
long live PCem