Number 1; Main machine: "Arcylia"
MSI KMVGM-V
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ AM2
2GB RAM 2x 1GB, dual channel
Windows XP Pro
Nvidia 7600GT (PCI Express 16)
160GB ATA133 partitioned 25/135
LiteOn DVD Writer
Yamaha YMF724 with Power YMF enhancements.
350 watt PSU
19" Gateway EV910
Floppy
Generic Keyboard, 2 button wheel mouse

The main machine I use for day to day activities. More or less the file server for everything else. I have many services disabled, and I have the classic theme enabled. No Fisher Price here, this is serious business. I cannot automatically skip the ramcount at boot, I have to hit ESC everytime.

---------------------------------------------

Numer 2; Box 'o Awesome: "Tualatin"

Gigabyte 8500tvx
1.4GHz Pentium III Tualatin 512k cache
1GB PC 133 RAM 2x 512MB
Windows 98 SE
ATI All In Wonder 9200
AWE32 with 8MB Dram and DB50XG clone*
20GB Quantum Hard disk
DVD ROM
Floppy
300wat PSU
19" Gateway VX900

*I use the term clone liberally, as it looks nothing like a DB50XG. It's supposedly built by NEC, but consuidering where I bought it from, I doubt that

This machine used to have 1.5GB of RAM, but a module went bad. This is the machine I play some old games on, listen to MIDIs with, occasionally watch TV, and do most emulation on. This is the fastest consumer grade (not sold as one of those uber expensive have everything / long life baords) motherboards I've seen with with an ISA slot. The Windows 98 install has a few tweaks in the system.ini file that eliminates 90% of the trouble 98 gives in regards to stability. My favorite machine.

----------------------------------------------

Number 3: "Compy 486"

Compaq Deskpro /M 66 featuring EISA slots
Evergreen Am5x86 upgrade module. Runs at full 133MHz, or so says CPU Check, but in Write Through mode only.
32MB RAM, 8 on the CPU card, 24 on the Memory expansion module
2GB Hard drive on an EISA DTC 2290 IDE/Floppy Controller
Compaq 1MB EISA VGA card
Awe32 with 8MB dram
3COM EISA 10/100 Ethernet card.
Proprietary 3.5 inch floppy.
DVD ROM
Optional SCSI card (it originally came with this, but the 1GB hard disk broke)

Aye. I want to like this machine, but it has been a pain in the ass since day one. I also sank quite a bit of money into this in upgrades. The ram I bought was all the wrong type (needs the one with the odd number of chips, a fact I had forgotten at the time of purchase). The EISA IDE controller only supports transfers at PIO mode 2, which is a bit limited even for the time of its release (1992), and it doesn't appear to work in the machine anyway. The HD activity LED flashes when the drive initializes after the RAM count. I have no idea if the HD works, due to the card not working at all in it. (The Prosignia can at least see it). I have no idea if the NIC works , though its activity ights turn on when powered up. It seems it may not neccessarily be compatible with windows 3.11, which I was going to put in this machine. EISA, whiile is a cool idea, is a nightmare to configure and work with, and in the real world, not all that worthwhile. The machine takes forever to boot becasue you cannot skip the ramcount as far as I know. Also, memtest can only see 16MB on this machine. l2 cache size and presence is unknown.

I'm looking to replace this heap with some other kind of EISA board, though I may scrap the EISA all together for a GOOD PCI/ISA 486.

-----------------------------------------

COMPAQ Prosignia 500.
Socket five system at 150MHz. (not figured out how to change this)
128MB ram.
Onbaord SCSI
Onbaord LAN

This machine is not used as anything other than a stand. :p

--------------------
Crappu p4u green something or other PCI/ISA 486 baord. Claims to support the AM5x86, but it will not boot with either a straight chip or the Evergreen module, no matter the jumper configuration.

Even crappier M919. No L2 cache. Not used.

Crappy socket 7 system. Currently dismantled. P200, 64MB ram

Lafayette Solid State Stereo 25 stereo amplifier Used for Main and Tualatin comps. Small size, big sound. 😀 Best four bucks I ever spent. Coupled with B&W DM500 bookshelf speakers.

Mitsubishi VCR.

Nmerous soundcards.
Several video cards.
A few hard drives
a couple dismanteld Macs.
3 broken stereo recievers
Yamaha Tx-802
YamahaTG-77
Analog joypad
Digital Playstation Joypad with USB converter
Partridge in a pear tree.

Reply 1 of 2, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm going to have to disagree with you on EISA. EISA is in my opinion the best bus for the 486. The reason it never caught on was because it was too expensive, not because it sucked.

Have you ran EISA config and provided it the files that match your EISA cards? From what you describe, it seems that your system is not properly configured.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 2, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think EISA sucks, just a bit of a hurdle at times. It was like three in the morning when I wrote this. I was a bit groggy. :p

And yes, I have run the EISA configs. HP still has them on the website. The VGA card detects, The network card detects, most of my PNP soundcards detect. The SCSI card detects. But I manually had to install the IDE card on both the Deskpro and the Prosignia. manually installing at least got the prosignia to acknowledge it, but the Deskpro just ignores it. Period. 😜

This topic isn't about trouble shooting anyway. It's about bragging about my Tualatine box. :p