VOGONS

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well...Keropi kind of inspired me to check out my K6 box so here's what it is:

Motherboard:

Epox MVP3G5, 2mb L2 cache (used as L3 cache by the CPU)

image014.jpg

CPU:

AMD K6-III+ 500mhz

cpu3.jpg

RAM:

2x 128mb 133mhz SDRAM

Graphics cards:

Abit Geforce FX 5200 128mb AGP (no pic)

Voodoo 2 12mb (don't know what brand)

800px-3dfx_Voodoo_2.jpg

Sound cards:

Gravis Ultrasound rev 3.4

Sound Blaster 16 ISA CT1740 + Yamaha (Nec) DB60XG clone

Diamond Monster Sound MX200 with the original wavetable (some dram chipset daughterboard)

Harddrive:

20gig split into two partitions

The rest I have inside is a 1.44mb floppy drive and a Samsung DVD burner

Here's what it looks inside:

f12df913594460.gif

Last edited by Amigaz on 2009-06-13, 20:54. Edited 1 time in total.

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 1 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow... a K6 mobo with L2 cache! I bet it flies in windows games eh?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

wow... a K6 mobo with L2 cache! I bet it flies in windows games eh?

Yep, but it's no speed devil..trust me.
When you start and push it with some hot games you realize you're working with "Pentium II" performance.

Going to put in another hdd and install Win2000 for some more "usability" so I can dual boot win98SE/Win2000

Reply 4 of 13, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, I'm jealous you have one of the rare 500 mhz III+ CPU's. I have a 450ACZ it overclocks to 550 really well. How high does the 500 mhz processor overclock?

Also, you are right about the pentium 2 performance of these chips. It runs any of my glide racing games right up to Need for Speed Porsche just fine, but if you put something like Neverwinter Nights on the fpu just doesn't have the power to cope with it.

Reply 5 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

how's the quake.exe 320x200 default settings start.bsp timerefresh?

Haven't got around testing this yet..will do it though soon

Reply 6 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2Mourty wrote:

Wow, I'm jealous you have one of the rare 500 mhz III+ CPU's. I have a 450ACZ it overclocks to 550 really well. How high does the 500 mhz processor overclock?

Also, you are right about the pentium 2 performance of these chips. It runs any of my glide racing games right up to Need for Speed Porsche just fine, but if you put something like Neverwinter Nights on the fpu just doesn't have the power to cope with it.

Had my eyes glued on german ebay for a year until I stumbled upon this CPU

I tried increasing the FSB to 112 or was it 113mhz with 5X multiplier untouched but I couldn't boot didn't try any further by raising the CPU voltage

Reply 8 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Once you see a P3-450 blow away a 600 MHz K6-III+ in a 3D game, they kinda lose their charm. Add to that fun with AGP problems on those damn Super 7 mobos.

Reply 9 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Once you see a P3-450 blow away a 600 MHz K6-III+ in a 3D game, they kinda lose their charm. Add to that fun with AGP problems on those damn Super 7 mobos.

Yeah, even a PII feels faster but the K6 has better compatability with older games....even the pentium pro fails with alot of older DOS games
But have to disagree about what you say about the AGP issues...no AGP issues whatsoever....not with the Geforce 2 GTS I had in it earlier either 😀
Maybe only very early SS7 mobo's was plagued by this..

Reply 10 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You are the lucky one there. I've never seen a GeForce 2 GTS work in a K6 motherboard. That's one of the most power-sucking AGP cards that were around at the time and that fact alone would do in many Super 7 mobos. And let's not forget that MVP3 and Alladin V don't really do things quite "right" on the fancy-AGP-features-like-texturing front.... If you install VIA's MVP3 AGP drivers they disable AGP texturing, actually.

Suffice it to say that I'm not making up facts when coming up with my disapproval of Super 7 motherboard quality. Hell, my FIC VA503 wouldn't even let a GeForce 2 enter 3D mode.... And my ASUS P5A that I have now locks up eventually with anything other than a 3dfx card. And then there's my Diamond Viper II "Savage 2000" that I can't even install the drivers for when it's in a Super 7 mobo!!! Any sort of Radeon = eventual freeze.

Uhg. Keep 'em away plz!!!! There's a reason people wrote up FAQs back in the day for troubleshooting Super 7 and AGP cards. 😉

Reply 11 of 13, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe Epox got it right...my earlier 1mb L2 cache board also was troublefree...
These boards are from beginning/mid '99 which is pretty amazing since by then Socket 7 should have been dead and buried

Reply 12 of 13, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would like to get a motherboard similar to this for use with a Pentium MMX clocked at 300mhz. You really do have a gem there with the 2mb on cache, as most of the one I see in the auctions only have 1mb or 512k. From what I understand the primary advantage to is allowing more memory to be cached, and also a small boost in overall speed.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 13 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only really tangible advantage is 512MB RAM cacheable. Performance change with more of that slow L2 is almost nonexistent. The benefit cache gives you really drops off above 512KB. Very non-linearly at that. I did have my hands on a Epox Super7 mobo with 2MB long ago but it was just a loan from a friend and I had to return it.

I've run a Pentium MMX at 300 MHz. 3x100 on a MVP3 mobo. It really makes the 'ol P55C feel quick. I'm sure it's similar to a K6-300 and faster than a Pentium Pro @ 233.